Summer Trip Research

pflaming

Baring something unforeseen this summer Darlene and I are planning a round trip across the USA to Maine and home. Here is the current line{s}.

Early June: A. Fresno, CA - Santa Fe, NM - Wichita,KS - Branson, MO - Indianapolis, IN - Hagarstown, MD - Montpelier, VT - Portland, ME

Late August: Portland, ME - Montreal, Canada - Niagara, Falls - Northern WI, MI, MN, Winnipeg Canada -

Yellowstone, WY - Grand Junction, CO - Grand Canyon, AZ - Las Vegas, NV - Fresno.

Will do as Niel suggested, print out the member map and take it along. Thanks Neil.

Thus we would like to meet members as we drive along, lunch - just stop by, etc. REQUEST: PM or respond here to places of note, for us to consider. We're not much interested in large cities prefer the beautiful 'local color' nature areas, like the off roads more than the interstate, like unusual museums, etc.

Our daughter lives on the north side of Indianapolis, Westfield thus Indy. Darlene has a sister in Winnipeg. We spend summers in Bath, ME with our oldest son and his family. Thus the trip via car instead of airplane.

Next summer may do a similar trip but stay south Phoenix to Atlanta, etc. Time that so we hit GA for the armadillo season.

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Which way are you likely to come through the Badger State? Will you go up through MI and across the Mackinac Bridge, then through the UP and into northern WI? If so a night in Mackinaw City and day spent on Mackinac Island would be a real treat for you.

Or another interesting route would be to cut across lower MI and take a Ferry across Lake Michigan. The Lake Express Ferry runs from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee. Or the SS Badger runs from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. There's a nice Maritime museum in Manitowoc. From there you could swing through Green Bay and check out Lambeau Field (if you're a football fan it's a must see. Even if you're not a Packer fan)

Otherwise a trip through northern WI is always nice. Many small towns, lakes and small resorts scattered through the northwoods. If you're into fishing you may want to stop in Hayward and check out the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum, including the giant Muskie

musky-ground1.jpg

Merle

• Like 1

Which way are you likely to come through the Badger State? Will you go up through MI and across the Mackinac Bridge, then through the UP and into northern WI? If so a night in Mackinaw City and day spent on Mackinac Island would be a real treat for you.

Or another interesting route would be to cut across lower MI and take a Ferry across Lake Michigan. The Lake Express Ferry runs from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee. Or the SS Badger runs from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI. There's a nice Maritime museum in Manitowoc. From there you could swing through Green Bay and check out Lambeau Field (if you're a football fan it's a must see. Even if you're not a Packer fan)

Otherwise a trip through northern WI is always nice. Many small towns, lakes and small resorts scattered through the northwoods. If you're into fishing you may want to stop in Hayward and check out the Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum, including the giant Muskie

musky-ground1.jpg

Merle

If you stop at the giant muskie in hayward you can stop at our cabin. Its about 25miles from there.

• Like 1

well I am located 50 miles west of Toronto, and when I was the cto of Bell Canada I had offices in Montreal and Toronto, so I can certainly help you out in that neck of the woods.  Toronto to Niagara falls is a couple of hours.   But Winnipeg your going to want to be going north from Ontario to Manitoba  unless you want to go up

through the states.  But from Niagra Falls your about 3-4 hours from the Legendary George Asche in PA.  And if you can at all pull it off  Chrysler Carlisle  or All Chrysler Nationals is the worlds biggest 1 breed car show .. Its in Carlisle PA  and is July 10th - 12th.  If you can at all pull it off, it is definitely worth while making the trek !

http://www.carlisleevents.com/carlisle-events/carlisle-chrysler-nationals/default.aspx

The AoK booth with be in Row E - spots  5 & 6 and maybe 7  !

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Burlington, ON which you will drive through on your way from Toronto to Niagara Falls. I am 5 minutes off the highway so am really on your route. Drop in to see my '40 and '41 Dodges. I also have a '65 Corvair which resides in my driveway in the summer.

Phil

For consideration - Montreal to Niagara Falls through NY along Lake Ontario (avoiding the NY Thruway, of course) is a nice drive with lots of historical stuff to mull over.  A few more Forum members along that path as well.  I live a mere 12 miles from Niagara Falls.  Always welcome here.  

With the current Canadian vs US dollar exchange rate, you might consider adding a few more miles to the Canadian portion of your tour...

Canada portion? Like enter at Montreal and end up at Winnipeg. There Is a road that circles above the great lakes from approximately Ontario to east of Winnipeg, but I would suspect that may be a bit lonely and monotonous.

I really appreciate the input. Will start to finalize early May.  

Paul,I was thinking more like west from Winnipeg,travelling through southern Saskatchewan to Alberta and then south through Montana to Wyoming - part of the country I am more familiar with.Of course it's your trip and you would know best points of interest along the way that you would be wanting to see as well as people you would like to visit with....(Our loonie dollar is heading south). :)

Edited by Ralph D25cpe
  • Like 1

It would be out of your way coming through this part of Ohio, but have you ever visited Amish Country here in Holmes County?  (We are in Berlin, the "cultural center" of the Amish settlement in Ohio - the largest in the US. - more in population than in Lancaster County PA.)

• Like 1

Paul,I was thinking more like west from Winnipeg,travelling through southern Saskatchewan to Alberta and then south through Montana to Wyoming - part of the country I am more familiar with.Of course it's your trip and you would know best points of interest along the way that you would be wanting to see as well as people you would like to visit with....(Our loonie dollar is heading south). :)

Keep going west... British Columbia and Vancouver Island is really pretty and I like meeting forum members.