'40 Plymouth brake master cylinder

ushp12

Last Nov. I posted a topic about my brake system where I had replaced a wheel cylinder. Since then I have bought and installed a rebuild kit in the master cylinder and bench bled it. I re-installed the MC in the car

,losing most of the fluid as I did. I filled the MC with fluid and thought that I was ready to bleed the system. I also purchased a vacuum style one person brake bleeder. Upon boosting the pressure until it stayed steady, I then loosened the bleeder valve, but no fluid would appear at the valve. Pushing the brake pedal

would not create any pressure either. Do I need a new master cylinder? Thanks for the help in advance!

anyone know where I can get a mc if I need one?

Did you put the releif value in the correct way. Sounds as if you may have it in the MC incorrectly.  Also check the two holes inthe reservior to make sure that they are both open.  Freview the install instruction with the master cyclinder kit or refer to your service manual.

I use the same MC in my 39 Desoto as in you Plymouth.  Thes MC are getting harder to find and are around the $300 range. If you can not get a New one then have you oldone resleeved.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

If i recall correctly 1940 had a unique piston length, 99% of the rebuild kits for 1940 have the wrong piston and you have to use your old one over again. I have a couple spares i can measure for you this weekend

• Like 1

And even Desoto used the same MC and Kit.  So the piston should not have changed if you are using the correct kit.  Again it could have been rebuild incorrectly and also did he check to make sure the relief holes are open and the relief check valvue is installed inthe correct way.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

the kit that I used for my '40 Plymouth came with the wrong Piston, it was longer than the original and was a cylinder shape, not

tapered. The Boot was also of a different type, longer than the original. I put the part's from the kit that were the same as the

original one's and put the MC back together using the old Piston. I did use the new Boot...... could that be a problem?, it is longer too. Thank's to all of you that responded to my post! I will take it apart again.

Could you help in where to go to get the correct kit? Thank's I am also having trouble finding the correct length Speedometer cable, inner. I sent for one that the seller said would work, knowing that the correct length wasn't what the part's book said. The book said that the correct length was 79 5/32 nds, and this one was 79 1/2 in.. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Rich, I found the MC kit that you were talking about and, I ordered one! Thanks again!