Hidden Stereos

1940_dodge

One thing I'm thinking about doing in order to keep the car as original as possible is mounting a bluetooth speaker probably in or under the front seat or under the dash for playing music while I'm driving.  Has anyone attempted something like this in the past?

I feel it's an easy way to modernize a part of the car without permanently changing anything.

I have one I use at home and just lay it on the back seat of the car. It plugs into 110 and uses batteries. Works perfect with a smartphone and is quick and easy.

Which one do you use?  I was thinking along the lines of a Sony SRS X5 myself.

One thing I'm thinking about doing in order to keep the car as original as possible is mounting a bluetooth speaker probably in or under the front seat or under the dash for playing music while I'm driving.  Has anyone attempted something like this in the past?

I feel it's an easy way to modernize a part of the car without permanently changing anything.

I bought a cheap $20.00 motorcycle amp off evil bay and some $30.00 6" speakers. I hid the amp behind the dash and made some kick panels for the speakers. I plug in my MP3 player or I phone and have all the Doo Wop I can handle, over 2000 songs plus radio if I want. :D

I bought a cheap $20.00 motorcycle amp off evil bay and some $30.00 6" speakers. I hid the amp behind the dash and made some kick panels for the speakers. I plug in my MP3 player or I phone and have all the Doo Wop I can handle, over 2000 songs plus radio if I want. :D

got to love the  dooo wop,,,

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually thinking about doing something similar to what you were talking about OldDad.  I want to get an old suitcase and cram that equipment in there and just leave it on the back seat.  Of course it will have a quick disconnect and be completely removable.

• Like 1

I have a new radio/c d player out in the garage.  

If I put in a new speaker in place of the original, will just the amp in the radio be strong enough to give satisfactory

volume for driving along?    I don't expect one of those thumping bass=that=rattles=the=trunk=lid sounds. 

The player might either fit in the glove box or under the front seat.

As it is 12 volt, will need to use a power inverter from 6 to 12 that I have.

Edited by BobT-47P15

Although this is possibly not what you were talking about I've attached a pic of the radio/Cd player etc that I installed a couple of yrs ago in my dash...........when I built the car in the early 70's.....lol.....I had a radio under the dash which over the yrs I'd come to dislike.......eventually found this new radio and liked it as it wasn't all flat black but had a silver and some chrome appearance which blended into the 1940 Dodge speaker grille.........I had a couple of spare grilles and worked out that the radio would just fit between the radio block off plate and ashtray and with careful cutting and grinding it fits and looks reasonably o/k and suits the overall stock looking dash........as mentioned, not really hidden but semi blended in...........lol........andyd

post-612-0-16248300-1423048915_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have a new radio/c d player out in the garage.  

If I put in a new speaker in place of the original, will just the amp in the radio be strong enough to give satisfactory

volume for driving along?    I don't expect one of those thumping bass=that=rattles=the=trunk=lid sounds. 

The player might either fit in the glove box or under the front seat.

As it is 12 volt, will need to use a power inverter from 6 to 12 that I have.

You'll want to make sure the Ohm rating between those two speakers is the same.  Usually on the back of the speaker there will be a sticker or plate that says either 6 or 8 Ohms.  If they are mis-matched you could blow out the speaker or put a lot of wear and tear on the stereo's amp depending on how they were made.

Although this is possibly not what you were talking about I've attached a pic of the radio/Cd player etc that I installed a couple of yrs ago in my dash...........when I built the car in the early 70's.....lol.....I had a radio under the dash which over the yrs I'd come to dislike.......eventually found this new radio and liked it as it wasn't all flat black but had a silver and some chrome appearance which blended into the 1940 Dodge speaker grille.........I had a couple of spare grilles and worked out that the radio would just fit between the radio block off plate and ashtray and with careful cutting and grinding it fits and looks reasonably o/k and suits the overall stock looking dash........as mentioned, not really hidden but semi blended in...........lol........andyd

I like that you had multiple grilles so you wont be stuck if you ever want to go back to stock.

Yeh, the original one to the car I had replated in the early 70's along with all the cars chrome and couldn't bring myself to cut into it but as I had pulled apart 4 other cars over the yrs I had a couple of spares so I found the best spare, cleaned and polished it up and carefully cut it.....theres not a lot of space where it fits but just enough and it sorta blends in...........lol.....andyd