Broken Shackle

MartinsB3B

Talking with my grandpa about the whole ordeal and gave me the idea of using a hacksaw to cut the bushing in half, and it worked. Going to buy a new blade while I'm in town.

Congrats! It is amazing what you can do with a hacksaw or a file if you put your mind to it.

Having some good quality bi-metal hacksaw blades and good sharp files has always served me well. You would be surprised how often they will allow you to get where you need to be without all the fancy tools you use once and then forget about.. :D

Jeff

Pictures will be up after I get off work. Drilled the shackle inside of the mount at 1/4 then worked up to a 1/2 drill. Drove the shackle stub out (in two pieces) with a 1/4 drift pin. I then took a hacksaw and cut the bottom and top of the bushing, then drove the bushing out (in two pieces) with the drift pin as well. Lastly I took a round file and filed around the inside of the mount (inside of the frame rail) checking the I.D often with the new bushing not to file too much material off. I only had to file because of all the hammering I done with drift pin before drilling.

Hopefully no one ever goes through what I have with this shackle,BUT, if you do this will help.

• Like 2

Nice work my friend! That is a real job...I KNOW! lol

The end result looks great! Its those "little" jobs that get forgotten or are not seen by the average viewer....

But you and the forum know it, and can appreciate the work it takes! One step closer right? :lol:

48D

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

is the inside of the mount smooth or threaded?  I was under the impression that they where threaded.  but you said that you filed the inside of mount so im guessing that they are smooth.