Got my 413 Flathead Delivered Today

Dodgeb4ya

There is very very little info on these Moly Block engines other than specs in the shop manuals and the sales brochures.. 

I would venture to guess production of 5-7% of the total line of dodge trucks were the 3-4 ton series.

A lot of info is shown in the factory salesmans data books and service bulletins.

post-302-0-28781400-1423116433_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-51636300-1423116474_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-84325600-1423116491_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-27142100-1423116718_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-35359400-1423117264_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-40839700-1423120719_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-67929200-1423120738_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-50688400-1423120765_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

This is an old thread but this '55 with 413 does not look too bad.  Needs a windshield.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/5899353633.html

If it had a "Real "413"  I'd buy it and junk the truck!:D

• 1 year later...

I would love to see a photo of both a hydraulic lifter and a photo of how they "feed" it in the block.  I have a friend that purchased a spare 8 cylinder L-Head for his 1946 Chrysler.  That block, with RAISED CAST lettering has the world "special" nobody has ever figured out what that special means.  The one thing that I noted and it may be that all the eights have it, I don't know, is steel inverted flare tubing feeding all of the lifter bores.  I do not know if that was just to add pressure oil to the mechanical lifters or if there is something like hydraulic lifters in there.  The engine has never been taken apart. 

I am curious as to how they did the hydraulic lifters as I would like to modify my 265 block to use them.  Any photos would be appreciated.

James.

Here are pictures of the 413 hydraulic  removable tappet guide assemblies.   Later I will try to post pics of the uncommon 1950 Chrysler flathead eight hydraulic tappet setup.

Oil pump pressure is fed into the removable 413 tappet guides to feed the hydraulic tappets.

Those  (2) steel tubes front/ rear are std design on oiling the Chrysler 8 tappets.

I will post pics of this later...

413 Hydraulic Lifters and Clearances measurements (2).JPG

413 Hydraulic Lifters and Clearances measurements (4).JPG

413 Hydraulic Lifters and Clearances measurements.JPG

413 Six HyD  Lifter cam and Lifter offset (2).JPG

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Shown Here... the Chrysler 323 "8" flathead lifter oiling tubes and STD adjustable NON Hydraulic tappets in block. I don't have a hydraulic "X" straight "8" I thought i had... might have scrapped it sadly.

The oil tubes direct oil from the main galley oiling cross tube to the tappet oil galleys.

The engine block for either std or hydraulic tappets is the same part#.

The "Wilcox-Rich" hydraulic  tappets used in the Chrysler flathead "8" are the same design/style as in the 413 DT six... also used in eight and V12 Cadillacs and Packard etc.

To convert a Chrysler six to hydraulic lifters is going to require engineering to provide a pressure oiling system to each lifter....a oiling groove around each lifter  in the block.

Then just finding the lifters and getting valve to lifter dimensions correct if even possible with these NA hydraulic mushroom lifters.

1950 Chrysler Flathead 8 Lifters and oil tubes (3).JPG

1950 Chrysler Flathead 8 Lifters and oil tubes (1).JPG

Hydraulic Tappet late 1950 Chrysler F Flathead 8.JPG

On 2/5/2015 at 9:07 PM, Jim Shepard said:

Wow! What a beast. Was it the biggest big-truck engine in it's day?

Biggest in Dodge. Other truck manufactures  used up to a 1091 cu in Hall Scott 6 cyc.

Edited by Billydodge
More Information
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for posting the photos and sharing your knowledge on this subject. I need to go take a look at my friends spare flathead 8 with the casting (raised) word special on it.  If memory serves me correct, that engine has steel tubes, like the one in your photo, going to EACH lifter bore hole thus providing pressure oil to each bore.  I am assuming that they are mechanical lifters but he has never had it apart.  I will take a photo of it in the next few days and if it looks like I suspect, I will post it.

I am wondering if I could round pressure oil to each bore and use a roller hydraulic lifter? My concern would be too much oil pressure loss out of the lifters.

James.

• 8 months later...

Yes they do look very similar.

Packards, Lincolns and Cadillacs of the 30's / 40's also used this same Wilcox-Rich hydraulic  lifter.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

8 hours ago, Francois Pelletier said:

What I forgot to say is that they are still used in the O-200 and maybe other models of Continental still sold today so still availlable !   At an otherworldly aircraft parts price for sure but availlabe.

Holy Cow!!!!

$170.00 a lifter.... glad mine are A-OK!

Continental 0200 engine Wilco Rich Style Lifter.PNG