What does it mean that a car is titled for "antique"

Thomba48
Go to solution Solved by Thomba48,

In Alabama you can register a vehicle as classic/antique for $11.00 and never pay a yearly fee again.  If you sell the vehicle, the tag stays with it and transfers to the new owner.  They said something about it belongs to the car and not to the owner.  You can also get the 'year of manufacture' tag instead and you do not receive a antique/classic tag.  The cost is the same and the same rules apply.  In order to qualify for either, the car must (among other things) have the original drivedrain and must not be used as a daily driver.  Of course, tell that to the guys around the state that have 80s models cars just to keep from paying yearly tag renewals :confused: .    Others just kind of ignore the 'daily driver; part and use it when they want.  You can drive it for a number of reasons, such as maintenance, etc. and that always seems a viable excuse.  Not that I have ever done it. 

Some states (Texas) register by the frame/drive train. Put a 30 Plymouth body on a 2000 dodge frame, you've got a 2000 vehicle. All the emissions and safety stuff to go with it. Same car in Missouri would be a 1930 plymouth and safety and emmisions requirements of the 30 Plymouth. And still eligible for antique tags. It's great! A kit car built recently would be registered as "What it most closely resembles". You can probably guess where I have my old cars tagged!

In North Carolina I have my D24 registered with a regular plate (tag they call it here) but I carry it in the trunk and display a YOM plate.  I do have to renew the registration every year for $35, and I did have to title the car when I moved here in 2011.  However, any car over 35 yrs old does not have to be inspected and I carry collector car insurance on it.  NC does have antique plates but there are restrictions about when and how far you drive.  They also have to be renewed annually, and I opted not to get one. 

The law allows owners of cars over 35 years old to display YOM plates as long as the current tag is carried in the vehicle. Also, the YOM tag does not have to be registered with the DMV.

Interestingly cars over 35 years old are not subject to annual safety inspections, but when I applied for a title four years ago I had to have the car inspected and photographed by a DMV officer.

• Like 1

busycoupe, on 08 Jan 2015 - 4:26 PM, said:busycoupe, on 08 Jan 2015 - 4:26 PM, said:

The law allows owners of cars over 35 years old to display YOM plates as long as the current tag is carried in the vehicle. Also, the YOM tag does not have to be registered with the DMV.

Interestingly cars over 35 years old are not subject to annual safety inspections, but when I applied for a title four years ago I had to have the car inspected and photographed by a DMV officer.

The YOM laws may vary from state to state...the cut off in Georgia is the very last year the tag was yearly issued, in other words, before the renewal decal was brought into service.  also the tag MUST be confirmed over to that of your current tag registration which must remain current and also located in the car for proof should you be asked by a patrol officer at any roadblock or highway stop.  Added requirement of many states is that the tag must be original issue, not restored in any manner and pass a visual inspection to confirm as fit for service issues to confirmation to your current registration.  OF course while state laws vary, often does the local interpretation vary...I seen different county offices enforce these codes in different ways..DO have a copy of the law with you when you go YOM tag...I was the first in my local office to use the YOM apparently as they had no clue to the law and only on my presenting a copy did they even consider looking it up in the codes...at last count there are only 7 YOM tags issued in my local office...I have two of them

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The laws do vary by state. My comment above was about NC laws. When I lived in Massachusetts the law was different. The year of manufacture plate had to brought to the DMV office for approval. Once it was determined that the number was not being used on a modern plate, and that the plate had original paint that was clear and legible, they would register your car using the YOM plate. Also, a registration fee was accessed annually. In Massachusetts all cars regardless of age must be inspected for safety equipment annually, although they are only required to have equipment that was originally on the car.

Now, here's an off the wall version. Old military vehicles can be registered in Texas by their military # painted on. The problem is continually explaining and proving to the lawmen who stop you it's a valid method. Just like one driven by the military, no tags.

A step farther, a half track (but not a tank) can be licensed for the street. imagine a half track with a machine gun and no tags running around your town? Yes, I know of a guy (now deceased) who did that. Scared the hell out of a lot of people!

austinsailor, on 08 Jan 2015 - 4:59 PM, said:

Now, here's an off the wall version. Old military vehicles can be registered in Texas by their military # painted on. The problem is continually explaining and proving to the lawmen who stop you it's a valid method. Just like one driven by the military, no tags.

A step farther, a half track (but not a tank) can be licensed for the street. imagine a half track with a machine gun and no tags running around your town? Yes, I know of a guy (now deceased) who did that. Scared the hell out of a lot of people!

IF state law allow for this provision so one should but need a copy of that state statue in their car for proof of legitimacy when stopped...I do have a copy of the YOM law as it applies to my state and also the very statue that provides for me the right to run blue dot lenses.  While I do not anticipate any trouble with my home state should I cross a state line where blue dots may not be allowed..I will only need to show that my state of registration and proof of residence (license) makes it legal to be on the car...reciprocity applies within states to honor the laws of the other..

In California I was easily able to get antique car insurance with ordinary plates, no photos, and no inspection.

The insurer did issue me a "stated value" policy without an appraisal.

The agent looked at the car, said "That's nice." Took two photos and that was it.

Calif plates are now white & my 1947  car should have a "black plate," but has a "blue plate" issued in the early 70's when it was originally restored.

You can get a "red plate" for horseless carriages made before 1922 or certain other cars up to '65.

You can get a white "historical vehicle" plate for cars made after '22 but over 25 years old. There are some restrictions.

. .. . also the very statue that provides for me the right to run blue dot lenses. . . 

Huh!

I never heard of that one. They're strictly verbotten here.

ask your agent about a hypothetical claim on your stated value policy...they vary from underwriter to underwriter...you may be shocked as to what little value your car has within their eyes...I asked specifically one day...was glad I did..it prompted me to better insurance with an even better rate..

ask your agent about a hypothetical claim on your stated value policy...they vary from underwriter to underwriter...you may be shocked as to what little value your car has within their eyes...I asked specifically one day...was glad I did..it prompted me to better insurance with an even better rate..

That policy is lapsed as I haven't needed insurance on this car in a while.

But I did go through this at the time, and there were restrictions on cashing in on the stated value.

For one thing, if the value of the car on the open market goes down, they can reduce the payout.

so...move to a state that permits them...

Um....no thanks. ;-)

I was just curious about under what conditions your state allows them.

Are they considered legitimate historical accessories or some such?

Missouri allows blue dot for "Street Rod" and " Custom vehicle" registered cars. You'll find the statute interesting. At first registration the must pass an inspection done by the department of safetyl in consultation with the street rod community of the state.

Guess who wrote the statutes for them?!

http://www.moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/30100001321.html

That policy is lapsed as I haven't needed insurance on this car in a while.

But I did go through this at the time, and there were restrictions on cashing in on the stated value.

For one thing, if the value of the car on the open market goes down, they can reduce the payout.

If your insurance "lapses" in nebraska they send you a nasty little "or else letter" to surrender said plates....if you do not, those plates are voided and a misdemeanor warrant is issued......so if you get pulled over....plates confiscated, car impounded, charged with said warrant, and no proof of insurance. Of course the laws have changed since the old days when no proof was needed.

A lapse is no problem here until registration time. Then they want to see insurance.

But my Plymouth is on a "non-op" registration. It stays in the system, but you don't pay any fees until you want to drive it.

Then you just get insurance & renew the registration.

I was busted for bluedots in 1986 & they've been in the closet ever since.

In Calif you must be an LEO or emergency vehicle to have blue lights visible from outside the vehicle.

Edited by Ulu

therein lies the entire problem with registrations and required insurance to retain said plate for vehicle and the reason for underinsured and non insured coverages...I like the fact that here in Ga the insurance is directly linked to the registration department..I no longer have to show proof of insurance as it is online and searchable at any second of any day...let the insurance lapse..a notice to surrender the tag...and you will pay a fine to reinstate for allowing this lapse...sort of a reinforcement that it will not happen again....I love it and think it should be a requirement across the nation...

Both my cars (1952 and 1980) are carrying what Illinois calls Extended Basic Antique plates. That means that I can drive anywhere I want from April 1 to Nov. 1st. After that I am limited to Shows, repairs and "tests" whatever that is.  I have my cars insured with my regular insurance company.  They do not care how much I drive or where.  The cost is not prohibitive  The only requirement is that I have a regular car insured as my daily driver.  Again, it(the daily car) can sit for 95% of the time and they don't care. In the summer I drive my 1980 car almost every day. And my 1952 at least a couple of times a week. In the winter I put the cars on comprehensive only and it cost about $10 per month per car. I did have to have each appraised when I first insured them and if I feel that the value has greatly increased I need to get another appraisal.  The cost of insurance for the car is of course based on the appraisal.  I remember talking to one of the agreed value companies(and I would name it if I could remember which one it was) and the sales rep told me that the car was only insured while I was driving it, sitting with it at a show. or in my garage. The also said that If I was more than a days drive away from home they would cover that too. I know from what I read most of you prefer Agreed Value but I do not like the stipulations that i have seen on many of these policies.

Frank Elder, on 08 Jan 2015 - 7:58 PM, said:

If your insurance "lapses" in nebraska they send you a nasty little "or else letter" to surrender said plates....if you do not, those plates are voided and a misdemeanor warrant is issued......so if you get pulled over....plates confiscated, car impounded, charged with said warrant, and no proof of insurance. Of course the laws have changed since the old days when no proof was needed.

I had such a situation when I lived in New York State. I changed insurance companies. The old company immeatetly told the state I had canceled my policy and the new company just issued me new cards. In the middle of a blizzard I had to park my truck near the road as my driveway was packed full of snow. Sheriff came by and ran my plates. Found the insurance cancelation, called a tow truck and impounded my vehicle and removed the tags. I went down to the scene of the crime before the tow truck arrived and showed the sheriff my proof of insurance cards with current dates. Did not matter. They hauled my vehicle off to car jail and I had to pay to get it and my plates back.  

• Like 1

Tim, yes and no. House insurance does not cover anything related to vehicals. I do not have full coverage on the truck, not then not now, not ever. The exception for me would be if I ever tried to do a frame up on a "special" car. Til then this is only a hobby, something for me to do. I can't paint, I can toy with "patinas". Some prefer Norman Rockwell, i.e., realism; I like modern art, . It's just a hobby nothing to get too get too serious about. Some like " the good", some the "bad", I guess I like the "ugly".