What does it mean that a car is titled for "antique"

Thomba48
Go to solution Solved by Thomba48,

I registered my 't52 truck and insured it as a 1952 truck, not a classic not an antique, just a ' 52 truck. Had no issues with any one.

PP I said what I did for I did not want anyone here or new to the hobby get a false idea on insurance and the classic beast..

Only a collector car insurance is of real value in a loss such as you experienced...also the classic insurance allow for x amount of spares to be claimed as a loss also..and I believe it was I that pointed out that the parts you were adding up as a loss will not be covered on your home policy at the time of the fire.  It was  a hard lesson learned on that I am sure.  I also think you are selling yourself short again today given the time and money you putting back into the beast..

therein lies the entire problem with registrations and required insurance to retain said plate for vehicle and the reason for underinsured and non insured coverages...I like the fact that here in Ga the insurance is directly linked to the registration department..I no longer have to show proof of insurance as it is online and searchable at any second of any day...let the insurance lapse..a notice to surrender the tag...and you will pay a fine to reinstate for allowing this lapse...sort of a reinforcement that it will not happen again....I love it and think it should be a requirement across the nation...

Oh you will pay a good fine here, to get re-registered and/or to be caught driving un-registered & It's all electronic. They give you paper, but it's a joke. I can print a better insurance card than the one they give out.

At inspections, they plug your car right into the DMV computer network. Big brother has your number...They don't bother to take the plates because fake plates are too easy to make/fake/buy/steal.

When I first registered my truck. All I had was a letter of its history, no title. I went to the dmv ans asked, can you help me? In about 20 minutes I had a title and plates. They did not safety check the truck. Guess the looked at the finish and figgured it had to be ok!

Plymouthy Adams, on 09 Jan 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

they need to start taking a few driver's license at the same time...in a perfect world, you can only drive on vehicle at ta time...thus insure the license and not the car...while it may make sense...it would not make them money...

You might want to re-think that as I believe they already look at the driver. If they are currently insuring only the vehicle why do the rates go way up if the owner has a bad driving record?

they need to start taking a few driver's license at the same time...in a perfect world, you can only drive on vehicle at ta time...thus insure the license and not the car...while it may make sense...it would not make them money...

You're forgetting that the insurance industry practically runs the country, ever since the laws that made insurance mandatory.

• Like 2

Don Coatney, on 09 Jan 2015 - 11:24 AM, said:

You might want to re-think that as I believe they already look at the driver. If they are currently insuring only the vehicle why do the rates go way up if the owner has a bad driving record?

They do look at the driver...and they look at every car he has and places that very premium on every policy...if 6 cars..six times the bad driver recoupment...

When I first registered my truck. All I had was a letter of its history, no title. I went to the dmv ans asked, can you help me? In about 20 minutes I had a title and plates. They did not safety check the truck. Guess the looked at the finish and figgured it had to be ok!

Maybe they weren't current on their tetanus shots...........

not forgetting a thing...I think I pretty much summed it up in the post that it would never happen..perhaps you sped read over that..

You said, "it would not make them money."

My point was that everything they do makes them money because they manipulate the government.

No matter which was insured--car or driver--they'd still be sure to make money, and Joe Public would still be the loser.

I move way too much to get collector car tags.  I've never had collector car tags on my car, and will not get them unless there is no other way to keep it rolling down the street.  Having regular tags has saved my bacon more than once coming home after dark.  I like going to the drive-in movies!  Local police officer pulled me over once assuming that I collector tags.  I pointed out that I had regular tags, and even Minnesota hadn't yet outlawed driving after dark.   Had I had collector tags, I would have been in violation of state law even though I was coming home from a parade.