3 passenger business coupes

jbchevypower

A question if I may..........do those 42-48 Dodge Desoto and Chrysler 3 Window Business Coupes use the SAME door that the various 5 Window "Club" Coupes use for those three brands in the same yrs, ie, do the 1942 -48 Dodge,DeSoto & Chrysler Coupes all use the same door?(note, I know 2dr sedan doors would be different).........not ever having actually seen a 42-48 Mopar Coupe in the flesh makes it hard to make any real life comparisions........so be gentle with me......lol........Andy Douglas

Same door # used for CC and 3 passenger cars.... at least for chrysler

Those gorgeous '46-'48 Chrysler business coupes, especially the straight eights, are HUGE cars. They make my '51 business coupe (mentioned earlier in Post# 12) look like a pygmy although like any business coupe, it has a big butt comparatively speaking.

DSCN8315.jpg

DSCN8480.jpg

lol..and your 51 is still bigger than the baby of the family.. the smallest one made the 1949 Plymouth business coupe !

The hoodless shot was just going out for a quick around the block test drive  with  a few performance mods in place.

post-5630-0-21025700-1420864110_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-51204800-1420864134_thumb.jpg

My '38 Plymouth P6, 3 passenger coupe....

post-3672-0-52950600-1420866338_thumb.jpg

Edited by deathbound
  • Like 2

JCM.........I know Plymouth was the different make, ie, the 40/41's had the same body shell for the Busy Coupe and for the ASC-Auxillary Seat Coupe with the small folding seats........then for 42-48 they went to the longer roofed Club Coupe with a proper rear seat and still had the short roof coupe for the Business coupe version...........whereas it appears that the other 3 Mopars did what I mentioned above............funny thing is that up to about 5-10 yrs ago the 41-48 Dodge/Desoto & Chrysler 3 window coupes seemed to have been part of the great unloved but appear now to have gained their rightful place in the minds of us car maniacs........is good to see..........andyd  

where can I find info on beefing up a little more HP out of my 217 I would like to dress up the motor with a set of carbs and intake what size carbs would work best without having to change the cam or should I go ahead and put in a cam also? twin carbs sure look nice on them old flatheads

to take full advantage of the cost of carbs and intake one would do well to address the cam shaft at the same time, increase the exhaust flow with duals also and there is also ignition improvements one can make.  The ignition would not be the critical one if you are one to keep the car in good state of tune...if you are not against the cam installation at the same time you may want to consider CC'ing the head to ascertain if it has ever been cut in the past to true the head and establish you current CR and proceed from there to increase the over all CR with a bit more of a cut...again I recommend that you know your initial reference point prior to any shaving...and if you shave the head to up the CR you must then know if the bottom end is in shape to withstand the increase...you may want to investigate the condition of your bearing...it is a ever shifting line in the sand and one mod will often lead to other mods or at minimum inspections to assure fit and fitness..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I just had the head trued due to a blown head gasket im not sure how much was machined off but can find out pretty easy the head was warped I have another spare head the car has 32000 miles on it and fills pretty tight did compression check and had nice even compression after I changed the head gasket, I figured I should do something with the cam I am trying to keep it as original as possible as of right now it is all original and a beauty thank you very much for your input

JCM.........I know Plymouth was the different make, ie, the 40/41's had the same body shell for the Busy Coupe and for the ASC-Auxillary Seat Coupe with the small folding seats........then for 42-48 they went to the longer roofed Club Coupe with a proper rear seat and still had the short roof coupe for the Business coupe version...........whereas it appears that the other 3 Mopars did what I mentioned above............funny thing is that up to about 5-10 yrs ago the 41-48 Dodge/Desoto & Chrysler 3 window coupes seemed to have been part of the great unloved but appear now to have gained their rightful place in the minds of us car maniacs........is good to see..........andyd  

What I meant is that the club coupe door interchanges with the business coupe door within each division from 1942-48 - including Plymouth.  But you're right that the Plymouth door is different than the door for the other three divisions.  Those three divisions all used the same doors for their 1942-48 club coupes and business coupes, although it looks like a different door was used in 1942, compared to 1946-48 (based on the part number).  Plymouth had the same door part number for 1942 and 1946-48.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 1949 dodge wayfarer business coupe does anyone know how to connect the wires on the horn relay and also to the steering wheel i cant get it to work on the steering wheel is there something missing on the horn button on the steering wheel please someone guide me  thanks

Moderator edit: I've started a new thread for this at http://p15-d24.com/topic/37982-1949-dodge-wayfarer-horn-button-and-connections/

post-7771-0-83482100-1422842584_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

to take full advantage of the cost of carbs and intake one would do well to address the cam shaft at the same time, increase the exhaust flow with duals also and there is also ignition improvements one can make.  The ignition would not be the critical one if you are one to keep the car in good state of tune...if you are not against the cam installation at the same time you may want to consider CC'ing the head to ascertain if it has ever been cut in the past to true the head and establish you current CR and proceed from there to increase the over all CR with a bit more of a cut...again I recommend that you know your initial reference point prior to any shaving...and if you shave the head to up the CR you must then know if the bottom end is in shape to withstand the increase...you may want to investigate the condition of your bearing...it is a ever shifting line in the sand and one mod will often lead to other mods or at minimum inspections to assure fit and fitness..

Where is your "I recommend" come from ? I thought you were the change to a v6 and v8 guy?

• Like 1

For hop up parts you should call George Asche. Looks like he is about 60 miles from you.

(814) 354-2621

George Asche Jr.

1693 Fertigs Road

Venus, Pa.  16364

Based on your previous posts don you post belongs in the classified section or is it do as I say not as I do?

oldasdirt, on 03 Feb 2015 - 2:22 PM, said:

Based on your previous posts don you post belongs in the classified section or is it do as I say not as I do?

I believe you are incorrect. I did not offer any parts for sale nor was I looking for parts. I simply suggest a possible vendor and that vendor is not me. Pasted below are the webmasters comments and a Moderators interpretation. If you still feel I was in violation report this posting.

P15-D24

P15-D24

Webmaster

• photo-thumb-5682.jpg?_r=1359317273
  • Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara, California
  • My Project Cars:1948 P15 Club Coupe, 1947 Dodge Business Coupe, 1948 Dodge B1C 3/4T pickup

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:05 PM

are not to be posted in the general forums. Use the classified ad section found here Buy/Sell -> Classifieds

Ads posted in the general forums will be deleted. 

•  
  • TodFitch
    TodFitch

Zen Master, I breathe vintage mopar!

• photo-thumb-45.png?_r=0
    • Moderators
    • staff.png
    • 4,597 posts
    • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:54 PM

This moderator's interpretation of GTK's mandate:

1. Threads for the sole purpose of requesting and advertising parts should be directly listed in the classified section.

2. When an active normal thread twists to a part being offered, or at any hint of a parts transaction..that should be done off the forum and handled by private e-mail or a PM...

1933 DeLuxe Two Door Sedan

http://www.ply33.com/

• Like 1

oldasdirt, on 03 Feb 2015 - 2:20 PM, said:

Where is your "I recommend" come from ? I thought you were the change to a v6 and v8 guy

from building any engine for a gain in performance....just because I go modern majority of the time does not mean I have never built an engine for performance...I will say this however...if you find anything that contradicts my statement...please feel free to post contrary...

Well, this is a first: Reports about posts on this thread to the moderator by all people involved in the shouting.

My take on the specific posts:

1) It is alright to post the contact information about a vendor that you think might be of use to a person based on their posts. But if you are a vendor, it is not okay to post that you have the part/parts desired. For that use the PM facility and/or the classifieds.

2) It is alright to have opinions on things automotive and to post them.

3) It is also alright to ignore posts by people you find annoying. That is probably the best thing you can do if you feel someone is a "know it all" with more opinions than their experience warrants.

4) It is also better to ignore posts by people who have a communication style that annoys you than to attempt to "correct" their behavior.

5) If you notice that your posting style seems to draw negative reactions, you might want to carefully re-read your text for how it might be received before clicking on the "post" button.

I'm going to leave the reported posts in place as none of them quite crosses my line, but please calm it down a little.

• Like 2

I am not taking sides here. Just an observation.

Lock this thread up.

It has become pointless, and strayed far from the OP's starting point. (OP has not been back since the start)

It was a nice thread for a while, but has now become a waste of bandwidth, and time.

Tod has provided guidelines, but apparently they are not understood. They do seem quite clear.

Edit: Interesting how someone who is possibly part of the adverse situation "likes" the options posted by the Mod, but then continues in a manner that could be perceived as contrary to the suggestions.

Edited by shel_ny