Three on the tree....that's the only shifter for me!

Frank Elder

Hey fellas, my question is more of what's your opinion, than can you rescue me. My shifter is not sloppy yet in fact it's pretty smooth......but I have purchased a new/recon 3 spd to replace original fluid drive coupling and the 3 spd behind it.

I know I won't be racing around terrorizing the hood, but still it might be more strain on it than I would like. So I was considering rebuilding the column shift linkage to tip top condition by replacing the standard linkage bushings with flanged oil lite bushings.......self lubricated and should provide a silky yet firm shift with no slop for many years to come.

Of course all size mods would be done to the shift ears on the trans and the holes in the linkage off the column.

Discuss good or bad I want to hear about

04-01646.jpg

Something similar to these............

Five on the floor is my score.

Replacing bushings in a 67 year old shifter that is not sloppy and works smoothly is fixing something that is not broke. If you do this modification the guy that buys your car 134 years from now will probably be happy that the shifter bushings are in such good shape. If that makes you feel good go for it.

• Like 1

Five on the floor is my score.

Replacing bushings in a 67 year old shifter that is not sloppy and works smoothly is fixing something that is not broke. If you do this modification the guy that buys your car 134 years from now will probably be happy that the shifter bushings are in such good shape. If that makes you feel good go for it.

You Ass.. :)  :D I knew I was gonna get the aint broke or dog collar lecture..LOL! Thanks Don! Ok lets pretend the shifter is the opposite of shinola, and it needs fixed. Would this be a viable alternative, or could it cause binding by being too close tolerance?

Edited by Frank Elder

Leave well enough alone. It shifts well, be happy. :) I personally like a three on the tree and always have. It gets a bad rap from a lot of people but I have never figured out why. It can be slow to shift compared to a floor shift but who's in a hurry in one of these old girls. I can remember being so proud of my self after learning to steer and also shift left handed when I had my right arm around the girlfriend of the day. Now I just do it with my wife of nearly 40 years and it is still fun.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm just a clumsy shifter, but I could never get a fluid drive car to shift as nicely as a standard clutch car. I just couldn't get the splines going at the same speed. I have always wondered about welding the fluid clutch together to make it work like a standard clutch. I have heard about this being done but I have never met anyone that did it. I would think that this modification would make for smoother shifting. Has anyone done this? How did it work out? I would think that this would be an easier way to get better shifting.

these cars were never ever intended to be a sport car with a flying shift pattern/operation.....welding them up straight you still have the very heavy rotation mass that is  slow to spin up if you will...thing to do if you do not quite like the way it is now...eliminate the fluid drive option and go with the straight clutch set up....I do find what I just said as odd as the fluid drive is listed as an option but I have not in my observance of these cars seen one that was not fluid drive...the non fluid model set up is a bit harder to find..

• Like 1