Reading Parts Lists: Front Brake cylinders for '53 B4B

TrampSteer

Hagen's has a truck page...it's a little hard to navigate to though (link below). They seem to have all the right stuff in stock. For 53, They list the front cyls as 1-3/8" straight bore which is what I recall from rebuilding them on my truck. If you look for a pre-1953 truck they show stepped cyls 1-1/4" x 1-3/8".

http://hagensautoparts.com/dodge-truck/

Edited by John-T-53

Thanks John. That has potential. Waiting for the Bernbaum order right now. <crossed fingers> Hagen or Bernbaum has gotta be better than a $400 inner sleeve job. I'll hack the backing plate before that. Thanks for the option Derek but because it is a tapered bore it's like paying for it twice they say. I spent the extra $300 on seat belts this morning instead.

The fact that Hagen's '52 is basically the exact part (well, internet exact) also lends evidence to the hypothesis that the P.O. cobbled different years together - as first suggested by Jeff. But how would you know that ahead of time eh? Reminds me of that Johnny Cash song my Dad always told us about as kids. "It's a 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55,56 automobile"

If this happened on my car I'd be ticked off. But like a lot of things in this project, it just makes me laugh; makes a great workbench conversation; is no end of delight to my mechanic friend; and gives me a good story to recount to others. Plus all this great advice. Thanks guys.

Mike;

Did you ever try calling Gary Roberts and talking directly with him? It is another possibility.

Jeff

Didn't see it on his website so dismissed it. That may have been a poor assumption on my part.

Parts from Andy came in this morning and they measure exactly to what I need. Going to go out to the shop and find out for certain in a bit.

SUCCESS! Thanks for all the help and advice.

Brake Cylinders Old And New

Brake Adjustment Tool in use

The parts are a perfect fit. I just went through the truck part lists again and based on serial number, they are calling out two of the same part. Clearly one needs two with a dual bore system. I am going to conclude that part of this front end is from a slightly older vehicle. Lesson learned: take it apart and measure everything first. I'm too spoiled by just ordering for modern cars.

That alignment tool cannot be beat. It is so easy to use and makes such a difference. Thanks Deathbound!

What I ended up needing to check for (what was important) was:
  • bore diameter (1/38 front, 1/14 rear) which determined I needed two different cylinders
  • the placement hole size ( 2.0 )
  • the mounting hole position center-to-center ( 1 3/4 )
  • break line fitment ( 7/16-20 ).

So in 60 years when I do this again, I'll have it down right the first time. Andy's part number was G-205.

• Like 3

Mike;

Congrats! :D

You could make some notes on this in your manual. Then there is no mystery like this when you finally pass it on.

It is likely that it is even going to be harder to solve something like this in another 20-30 years.

As a side note when I got my truck my son-in-laws father Dave told me of an uncle of his who had been a Dodge truck mechanic from the 30s until the late 70s when he retired. Dave remembered seeing loads of manuals etc on his visits. I asked him to find out if any of his books and tools were still in the family. Unfortunately the trail ran out. I can only imagine what a wealth of info etc. got lost there.

Jeff

• Like 1