Reading Parts Lists: Front Brake cylinders for '53 B4B

TrampSteer

Both of my  '53 1/2 ton front wheel brake cylinders are holding fluid mostly because of the rubber boots. Looks like some severe pitting. I plan on just replacing the cylinder instead of trying to use emery cloth.

I've been going through the online manuals and find a reference 5-64-1 for the part. I am using DPETCA information on-line. The details for part numbering look like they changed a lot per model and the closest I can figure is that the B4B of my serial number (853xxxxx) needs two 1393-269 parts. I think I'm reading it right but these things are new to me. I have concluded that any reference to the left or right on the front is probably a reference to previous year models.

I'm having trouble converting this data (that I hope I have right) into a part store number.

• Robert's shows a T-31 assembly with no reference to left or right or front.
  • Hagen's shows 10588 for either side, but also lists 10580 through 10584 for front lower and upper Left and right. In general, they don't specify "truck" so I don't know what to think the part is for.
  • Napa gives a single 17789 for the front but also lists a Left and right for the front as 3595, 3596 and they all have the same picture and NAPA doesn't know which one I should order. The web chat guy basically guessed I should get a left and a right.

I'm leaning tow the Napa 17789 but was wondering if anyone could confirm?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Edited by TrampSteer

My take on the parts listing is the same as yours, 2 of the 369's.  That would indicate to me a single cylinder brake system with the bleeder directly  over the line inlet and both straight into the cylinder.   Rear brakes appear to be a 2 cylinder system, using 4 different cylinders, depending on location ion the truck, top or bottom, left or right

• Like 1

I believe the original front wheel cylinders had a stepped bore with different size pistons, so the left and right would be different part numbers. However, it seems that any aftermarket replacement are single bore size cylinders, so both sides would likely be the same p/n.

Merle

• Like 1

What Merle said is correct.  On my B2D, they left and right are stepped and mirror images of each other.  They are side specific, but the left front is the same as the left rear-same for the right.  The 3595, and 3596 p/n's ring a bell.  If you need me to I can search my receipts tomorrow to get you the p/n's that I ordered when I replaced mine.   Mike

• Like 1

Mike, have you considered having your wheel cylinders resleeved with s.s. A bit more up front, but you or any future owners won't have to worry about pitting & you'll retain your original made in USA (hopefully) parts. That's what I did a couple years ago. How's the 1750 working out? Derek

• Like 1

Dave,

Thanks. It's always good to have a second pair of eyes.

Merle - Mike,

That makes sense from the additional reading I've done on the forum since writing this. The parts catalog people don't have that level of detail to confirm it nor the knowledgeable staff it seems. I feel confident enough to order the single Napa part number now so don't go to any trouble digging anything up.

Deathbound,

My driveway is getting to look pretty ratty so I just want the quick solution to put in new parts. And yes I have your tool and a pang of guilt every day! It really helped a lot. Figure I'm getting that back to you next breakfast meet. Let me know if you need it sooner and I will drive it up straight away.

Thanks guys.

From the parts book, it looks like the B4B has a different brake setup on the front than the 1, 2 and 3 series and the 1/2 ton can easily take different parts than the 1 ton.  Some pics of the brake cylinders and some measurements of the pistons may help.

Hey Mike,

Did I understand you are thinking that once you get your truck back in the wind { and stopping }  you might travel back up north to Long Beach for another Great Pancake Breakfast after a lovely morning spent at the Long Beach Swap Meet one Sunday in the near future ?? ( Sorry didn't want to high jack your Brake Thread ).

• Like 1

Mike, no hurry on returning it, I don't plan on pulling my drums in the near future. Take your time & get your brakes done to your satisfaction. Derek

• Like 2

Hey Mike,Derek and All the So Cal Group,

I scored a Wright Wheel and Hub Puller at the Swap Meet the other day. Was at a deal I could not pass up, So anybody need to borrow it give a yell.

post-6074-0-17840000-1420080138_thumb.jpg

post-6074-0-24501900-1420080175_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks guys. I'm finding your generosity overwhelming.

I'd love to do breakfast again. Next HIPO is on the 11th. If the parts come in on time I should be able to make it in the truck. (Napa canceled my order while I was out on vacation because they couldn't find two of them). I just reordered through O'Reilly so I am hoping I'll be getting them installed this weekend.

Hey Mike,

Yupp the next Long Beach Swap Meet is on Jan 11, 2015. I can make it, but not sure it is enough time to pass the word with it so close ( maybe Feb. or Mar. to get more guys). It's just down the 710 for me. Hope your parts come in early, the install is easy and the shade stays over you for the entire time. Should be a very nice,sunny  few days here in So Cal. High 70's for next few  Glad the snow here stays up on the mountains, a real nice view from Downtown LA .

• 2 weeks later...

Well, like my Mom used to say: "If it ain't one thing, it's another".

Brake Cylinder Mismatch

Turns out those parts - ordered based on the store's meticulous description right down to the serial number of my truck - don't fit. I don't know if it is the wrong part for the vehicle or if the previous owner installed some other backing plate or suspension parts. All I know is I'm 1/4 inch off.

So I left the truck on the rack today and kept the part in my dirty little mitt. On Monday morning I'll try C.H. Topping here locally and just hand it to him saying "give me one of these".

Edited by TrampSteer

Turns out those parts - ordered based on the store's meticulous description right down to the serial number of my truck - don't fit. I don't know if it is the wrong part for the vehicle or if the previous owner installed some other backing plate or suspension parts. All I know is I'm 1/4 inch off.

So I left the truck on the rack today and kept the part in my dirty little mitt. On Monday morning I'll try C.H. Topping here locally and just hand it to him saying "give me one of these".

what did the store say?  Which store was it?

Mike;

Bummer.... :( but hey at least you tried. It is probably a case of a "swap in" done at some point in the distant past. When a vehicle like this get's to be this age it is often hard to know exactly what you have. Especially when you have only had it a short time and don't know it's full history. If it makes you feel any better I am sure that lot's of us have struggled with similar "identity" related problems......I know I have found a few. :) Nature of the beast.

Jeff

See Vince @CH Topping, I've dealt with him a few times....great shop.

TS:  What is the center to center measurement of the mounting bolt holes? I will measure the ones that I took off and if they're the same as yours, I'll give you the NAPA p/n's that I used.   They are both stepped bores.   Mike F

TS: What is the center to center measurement of the mounting bolt holes? I will measure the ones that I took off and if they're the same as yours, I'll give you the NAPA p/n's that I used. They are both stepped bores. Mike F

It measures 1 3/4 on center.

For all the other welcome comments:

Saw Vince this morning. They have a search out on it now as its not in their inventory either. If you have a matching NAPA part I'd be greatful. If not I may have to resleave.

Orielly didn't say anything as it was on-line. All I got was a return auth number.

Thanks all!

I checked this morning.  The bolt holes are 2" on center, and the NAPA p/n's were 3595 and 3596.   Mike

Just got off the phone with C.H. Toppings and they were sure they got the part, but it turns out it was the 2" Napa part MBFowler measured up. Thanks Mike, you just saved me two days.

Called Andy Bernbaum and he was able to physically measure one he has in stock so I pulled the trigger on that.  Sorry I missed your post ggdad1951, I had not thought to look at power wagon parts.

Now, if everyone can cross their fingers for the next couple of days while it ships ....