Difference between a P12 and a P15 dash clock??

wolk625
Go to solution Solved by Furylee2,

So, first post here (wooooo)

- what I wanted to try asking is if anyone here knows if there's a size difference in the clocks that ended up in P11/12's and the P15's?

In pictures, they look about the same size, but I have heard people say that they are not compatible and one won't fit the other.

Once all said and done I hope to also add a Philco 802 radio, P12 center dash and clock to my P11. (wish me luck....)

$_57.JPG

One way to distinguish a P15 clock is that the knob stem goes thru where the "6" would be.  2 5/8" tall by 2" wide.

This is supposed to be for a 1941 model.....notice the border even though it has no "6".  For P9 and 10.

$_57.JPG

Found these two pictures on ebay, but could not find a P11-12 pic.

I do notice that the 1941 has the raised level for the numbers. 

I also found it amusing that between the two of them the guy selling the 1941 wants DOUBLE of what the p15 clock is going for..

They look to mount the exact same way but without knowing the actual outside dimensions of the '41 it's a tough call if I could get away with using the p15 clock or not.

Is there a generally accepted "value" of these clocks or are they at the whim of demand and the seller??

Decent cigarette lighters are not that hard to find.

Girls may be sexy but not when they got a cigarette in their mouth. I wouldn't even let them smoke in my garage. I am an ex-smoker but quit 37 years ago when I was 28 (do the math) and cannot believe I ever had anything to do with that filthy, stinky, dangerous-to-your-health habit. I will now get off my soapbox.

I still believe a quality OEM cigarette lighter for a P15 is both hard to find and expensive when you do.

- For clarity,

The guy selling the "1941" clock actually has the one intended to go into a P11/P12, but he calls out "p9/10" in his ad. It has the raised portion for the numbers. They can be found in the brown like the one shown above and also a lighter beige color - 

162b37a8.jpg

The P15 gauge I can only seem to find in black, and the lines and numbers are on the same surface - 

mNWJlNpo-6yPHoHXThYHzfA.jpg

For whatever reason why, I can find the P15 clocks for a LOT cheaper than the P11/P12 clocks. I just need to know if they changed the size of the physical clock as they moved on in years and I'll have to pony up the $800 bucks for the correct one or if I can fit the P15 clock in there and get by until a better deal comes along for the P11/P12 clock?

Anyoone?

• Like 1

I am not sure but I believe the P-15 clock is taller than the P-12 and that I have been told that to fit the P-15 clock in the P-12 dash you might be able to remove the trim piece shown at the bottom of the P-12 clock in the picture you posted. BTW, that picture sure looks like my dash and my clock in my P-12.

Can you ask the seller of the P-15 clock to provide dimensions and compare it to the opening in your dash?

Jim Yergin

Girls may be sexy but not when they got a cigarette in their mouth. I wouldn't even let them smoke in my garage. I am an ex-smoker but quit 37 years ago when I was 28 (do the math) and cannot believe I ever had anything to do with that filthy, stinky, dangerous-to-your-health habit. I will now get off my soapbox.

I still believe a quality OEM cigarette lighter for a P15 is both hard to find and expensive when you do.

How many you want to buy???

When I was looking for a clock for my P11 there was one guy selling a NOS one for about $700.00........plus postage.........lol.........so being the tightwad that I am I scanned a couple of pics of it and a couple of others, resized them and picked the clearest and stuck it onto a piece of clear plasic then stuck that onto the reversed delete plate.......ended up looking quite good and told accurate time twice daily.........fooled a couple of guys...........lol............andyd.  

One way to distinguish a P15 clock is that the knob stem goes thru where the "6" would be.  2 5/8" tall by 2" wide.

I guess these are the dimensions of the 46-48 clock.  Looks just like my 1948 DeSoto clock.  Clocks are selling for $800 these days!  Hard to believe when I was buying NOS Mopar clocks in the 80s they were closer to $50.  Well that was thirty years ago!  I still think that's a dream price. 

Yes....those clocks and lighters are popular and a bit hard to find at a likeable price.  

A few years ago I found a pretty decent clock at a swap meet in a box of assorted stuff ..... the guy only wanted

$15 for it.   And I got an original lighter from a coupe not far from here......the seller took $25 for it.......I had been looking

for one for probably 30 years.   So they are out there occasionally.  You just gotta keep hunting.  

Son in law gave me a nice aftermarket lighter for Christmas this year......probably made by Sinko or Casco.  He also found a nice

receptacle in the glove box of the car from which he got the lighter.  The knob is tan, close to the color of our original knobs,

but no writing on it. 

DSC01260.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

This one is close to a P15......(46-48)......on eBay now......$79 buy it now........listed as 1940s Cadillac item.   

Just go to eBay and search for Plymouth lighter.

With eBay, you have to remember the items for sale are constantly changing....so you have to keep going back and looking.  You never know

what will appear.  Also, sometimes the seller doesn't know what he's peddling and puts it in an incorrect category. 

$_57.JPG

Edited by BobT-47P15

• Solution

I am not sure but I believe the P-15 clock is taller than the P-12 and that I have been told that to fit the P-15 clock in the P-12 dash you might be able to remove the trim piece shown at the bottom of the P-12 clock in the picture you posted. BTW, that picture sure looks like my dash and my clock in my P-12.

Can you ask the seller of the P-15 clock to provide dimensions and compare it to the opening in your dash?

Jim Yergin

The P-15 clocks are shorter than the P-12.  I have one in my car, a 41 Special Deluxe business coupe.  I found it in a parts car on a club member’s farm.

If you look close, you can see someone (this is the way I got it) took a P15 delete plate and cut it to make a little filler at the top.  The P-15 has 3 lines running vertical on the delete plate to match the dash, the P-12 has two.

post-250-0-36023700-1419878519_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I believe P15 clocks are cheaper because thay made 4 times as many as any other model. From mid-45 to mid-49 they built P15's

That's an epic production run. Manufacturing engineers dream of such a run.

Every part should be more available and cheaper for a P15.

I'm wondering what service the auto clock should get if it has not been running for decades.  Surely it needs some oiling.  Do you think it needs a trip to a clock doc for servicing before hooking it up? Or could I do it? 

Edited by MarcDeSoto

NICE! I knew it could be done! I'll still keep scrounging around for a while to see if i can find one for a little cheaper but you've got me thinking now!!

thanks a bunch!

Wolk625, I just realized you were in Omaha. I live in Papillion, Some time next spring we'll have to get our coupes together. Lee

Wolk625, I just realized you were in Omaha. I live in Papillion, Some time next spring we'll have to get our coupes together. Lee

It wont work.

No matter how long you leave them alone together, they never breed in captivity.