Misfiring because of worn timing chain?

Kai-by-Vecona
Go to solution Solved by Kai-by-Vecona,

Hello Jeff,

when I received the kit it was just the small part. I was wondering myself if this is everything but it worked fine. The grommet is a good idea. I think it's not the best thing when the wires get blank or anything else get's into the distributer.

I never thought about the jumper wires. I think you're right that they are not needed when the car has no points anymore.

Hello Kai;

The Pertronix kit had a very nice rubber grommet affair on the wires that fits wonderfully in my distributor.

Besides protecting the wires it helps keep dirt and moisture out. I really like having a trigger instead of points. Less moving parts and nothing to go out of adjustment.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

So....here are the latest results.

Made the tune up today and the engine runs pretty well. It was easy to set timing and also the differences in the marker poistions on the damper where nearly nothing. Tested the car on the Autobahn and I run about 15 Miles with steady 75-80 mph. That's far more as before and I think the car never went so fast in it's life. Will have a look how things will go on.

Now, the only problem is, that I can't say if it was only the timing chain, because I also installed new bushings in the distributor ( what might not effekt the timing because of the electronic ignition) and installed a NOS vacuum advance (just for fun, because the old was ok)

Maybe it was the sum of all the work, .... I don't know. Maybe I just earned some respect of the car and it's running now because it want's to do so :-)

But... thanks for all the help.

Kai

• Like 2

Imho the most likely culprit in the mix is the worn distributor bushings, I have some experience in this area and slop in the clearance between the pickup and lobe is deadly, besides once cruising, the cam shouldnt be jumping to cause a problem.

• Like 1

That was also my idea. I think, this is in my opinion the most obvious reason that the car runs better now. Funny thing is, that I found the bushings at a company providing parts for restoring planes. A pack of ten bushings cost 12 British Pounds :-) So I have still 8 available. If someone wants to have some... just contact me...