Pilothouse glass rubber question

vance1234

I see this in prior posts were members keep recommending to buy manuals, unless you have a stake in them, why not send guys to the sites free reference manuals first and then if it's not covered they can chose to buy a manual. It's like some people get enjoyment out of withholding info and forcing members to seek it elsewhere...,this site is based on helping everyone with all aspects of these trucks and a lot of work went into the website to get the downloadable PDFs as well. My post on some people being more dangerous with manuals comes from people who just recommend the manual as an answer to a question...it isn't, the manuals are not always clear and we have the ability to help and explain things more clearly in some occasions and at least for myself that's what I try to do.....less then that isn't really a helpful post IMO

Edited by 4mula-dlx

I see this in prior posts were members keep recommending to buy manuals, unless you have a stake in them, why not send guys to the sites free reference manuals first and then if it's not covered they can chose to buy a manual. It's like some people get enjoyment out of withholding info and forcing members to seek it elsewhere...,this site is based on helping everyone with all aspects of these trucks and a lot of work went into the website to get the downloadable PDFs as well. My post on some people being more dangerous with manuals comes from people who just recommend the manual as an answer to a question...it isn't, the manuals are not always clear and we have the ability to help and explain things more clearly in some occasions and at least for myself that's what I try to do.....less then that isn't really a helpful post IMO

well it seems we have our very answer here to the problem at hand...folks it seems that if you have need of any printed text or data..4mula-dlx will be glad to send you a copy...glad we got this aired out..

Don't blame me....ggdad posted the link to it all, and the creator of this site is who made it available to all members...those horrible people who tried to supply needed info for free... Lmao...and I'm also happy to repost the links as many times as its needed....helped me, so it should be just fine for other members...at least those that aren't looking to spend unneeded cash.

Hey guys, I think I have read that their are maybe a few differnt sets of points these trucks might have came with, would anybody have a part number off the top of their head?  I am assuming that since there are different part numbers they are not interchangable.

O.K. guys.  I finally was able to read the number on the distributor.

IAT-4101              3H29553

Can anybody give me part number for the points, condenser, and cap? 

Also, is it ok to use a coil with an internal ballest rather than using one with an external ballest?

Thanks

first off the resistor with a coil in line is that of a 12 volt upgrade...if you are 12V..then the resistor is valid...using the internal resistor is a time/heat related operation...it is a proven fact that the higher voltage stays on the points longer than needed during the warm up period with the internal resistor coils and shortens the points life...you can use the internal ballast coil, just be prepared for the trade off..

All those parts are listed under the Rockauto website, and you want the T models of those parts shown. Just look up your year, then just truck and the engine in yours....great prices too. I was going to post the link, but didn't look like it saved my search results.

Good luck!

I have used rock auto catalog search to look up part numbers as they give parts the manufacturers numbers rather than their own stock numbers.

Called my local Napa store with the mfg. numbers and got them in my town. Higher price somewhat but any problems I had a local place to take them back.

But your choice both work.

DJ

I will try to look it up that way.  I am afraid this may not be the original engine.  Wondering if anybody else had this same distributor and would have the part numbers.  I know somebody earlier said it was not unusual to have different part numbers depending on the exact distributor you had.

The most important part # needed you have the dist. is an IAT. Even directly if you call a Napa store and guess the approx. year with the IAT dist., they should be able to get the correct parts.

Take the cap with you to match. Label the wires and cap with cyl. #'s and replacement in the correct order should be easy.

Good luck!

DJ

Rockauto has the distb models listed, so that should help a lot, and the aftermarket numbers...shoot for Borg Warner, Delco, or Blue Streak/Standard products, their the best IMO. Been very happy with my service from RA, and they take returns no issues either, and priced sometimes 1/2 of the jobbers for the same products.

AL4652P, AL96, AL1111t,  Any parts house can interchange those numbers and you may be able to walk out with them, or next day.  Very easy to find on the RockAuto site.  As suggested by others, visit the site and aquaint ( sp) yourself with  searching for part numbers relevant to your truck.  If you plan on working on  and maintaining this truck, you'll need to develop those skills.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after a new set of points, new condenser, wiring the coil in the right direction, a couple shots of starter fluid, and a little gas, the old truck fired up and after a couple of hiccups it runs like a sewing machine.  transmission shifts through all the gears great.  I think now we will start on the breaks. 

• Like 1

I would certainly have a professional install it.  I got the rubber from Roberts Motors and had new glass cut using the old glass as patterns and then had them install it.  I tried but it takes some skill to do that without breaking the glass and they charged me $50 to install.  Not bad.