Pilothouse glass rubber question

vance1234

Thnaks.  Will try to identify the engine tomorrow.  The dipstick is definatly to the left of the distributor which goes into the oil pan, it may be another dipstick tube and the engine may have come from a car. There is also no oil filter canister on the engine.  Did any come with no filter?  Another question, will the front fenders from the older grey truck in the pictures fit on this one, which is the white one?  Also, does anybody have a recommendation on the 6 volt battery?  Cold cranking amps? best prices? Thanks.

I believe on all Mopar flathead engines the dipstick sits on the flywheel side of the distributor and the oil fill tube fits on the fan side of the distributor.

comptest.jpg

I think that's true for all of the ones that go into the block. The trucks with the front sump pan are further forward to line up and go directly into the pan. It was probably cheaper/easier to do it that way than to add a spot in the block casting for a dipstick further forward and possibly moving the fill pipe back. 

• Like 1

my guess the engine has been replaced with a car engine.  My truck had that done and I didn't know until Ed here pointed it out to me!  Should not be that big of a deal, swap the oil pan (if not done already) and you should be fine.  I just capped that hole on the block.

Yup, as said the truck engines with a front sump pan use a different dipstick. If your engine came out of a car with a rear sump pan they may have left the dipstick tube in the block. You can pull it out and plug the hole with a cup plug like shown below. And yes, many engines/vehicles were sold without an oil filter. They were often aftermarket add on options. Search around. I found mine on ebay and added it.

P9240505.jpg

P2100237.jpg

P2100240.jpg

Back to school for me. Thanks Ed, GGDAD, and Merle for the education on trucks.

I'd been at Marks working on that truck various times from when it was a bare frame with the engine back to a complete truck and it wasn't until it was all done that I realized the problem.

Just to show how its a small world Mark and I were sitting at back to the 50s trying to figure out why his oil pan was hitting the axle. It suddenly dawned on me that the pilot house engine I bought from Merle had a backwards oil pan that I would need to swap out to put into my job rated project. So that oil pan went from Merle to me to Mark. 

Edited by Young Ed

Young Ed, on 02 Jan 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

Just to show how its a small world Mark and I were sitting at back to the 50s trying to figure out why his oil pan was hitting the axle. It suddenly dawned on me that the pilot house engine I bought from Merle had a backwards oil pan that I would need to swap out to put into my job rated project. So that oil pan went from Merle to me to Mark. 

Small world. I believe these pieces came from Merle to Blueskies to me.

MVC-001F.jpg

Thanks to everybody for all the information.  Does anybody have any ideas on the amps for the 6 volt?  I was thinking about getting one from Tractor Supply.  Also, will the front fenders from the older grey truck in the pictures fit with the grill and hood that is on it now?  I know the grill will not work with the hood. Thanks.

Ha! No. I built that little awning off my shed at the end of the summer just to put the truck under. I got the tin for the top from my grandfathers old barn that fell in. I am planning on using some of the old lumber from the barn to make the floor for the truck bed. The 4 wheeler comes in handy pulling it in and out of the shed though!

Has anyone had any issue with deleting the vent windows, other then removing that metal tab that held the bottom lock?  Im considering deleting mine, as I want to go power windows, and my glass is fairly scratched from 64 years of service.  If I could get a pattern for the glass, and just use that, I think that would be the way to go...the whole truck is custom now anyway.

Can anybody tell me if there is a simple 12 volt ignition system available if I were to choose to convert it and if so where would I look to find it?  Also, if I did is there a later model 12 volt starter that will just bolt on that is available or can the one I have be turned into a 12 volt and if so who does it?  Thanks.

Nothing that is a pre made set up that I'm aware of, there are quite a few threads on switching to 12 volt, it's fairly easy, but I would recommend re-wiring your truck unless it's in great shape...that old wire gets very brittle over time, even if the coating looks ok. The stock starter will handle 12 volt just fine, as long as you don't wind it for extended periods of time.

Thanks.  Yes I have been looking at it.  It all is going to have to be rewired. Would like to go to an alternator with the most simple 12 volt system.  I wonder if anybody has a parts list of what all was needed.  If the starter is no good, I was wondering what I could replace it with or who can re work them.

You need forsure a 12 volt coil, and a 2 pin ballast resistor (any early to mid 60's MOPAR had them), and if you go alternator you can ditch the voltage regulator on the firewall. If you are running a heater fan, you need a reducer resistor (Radio Shack) and one for the fuel gauge, the switches are fine with 12 volt. That's about it, other then all the wire.