Pilothouse glass rubber question

vance1234

Hey guys.  Just joined the forum and this is my first post.  I have a Dodge Pilothouse truck, unsure of the exact year, which I am considering turning into a rat rod, just to have something to ride around the back roads in.  It has the original straight 6 in it which I plan on keeping if I can get it going.  I am sure I will have a thousand questions, but my first one concerns the rubber holding in the glass.  they all need replacing.  I actually barley pushed on one of the corner windows an it just fell out.  I did catch it so it did not break, I am not even sure you can still get the curved corner glass anymore.  My question is, does pretty much anyplace that replaces automotive glass carry the rubber to re-seal all the glass or is this some type of special rubber that requires a lot of money to replace?  Thanks in advance for the information.

hold onto that curved glass cuz it's out of production...the other glass is all flat, easy to replace.  One of the reasons I parked the '48 is the corner glass gaskets were brittle and falling apart, didn't want to lose them gems bouncing down the back roads.  If ya tear into that truck, try not to throw anything away, sometimes ya might need the old part to compare to the new part, like shock absorbers & whutnot.  Cosmetics are great, but if the truck don't go or whoa, then it's just yard art :cool:

Thanks.  I plan on keeping everything just as it is, pretty much.  I just want to get it running and drivable.  I would like to paint it John Deere Blitz Black.  I am concerned about the rubber though.  Will it be pricey to replace the rubber?  You mentioned you parked yours because the rubber was getting brittle. Any idea if a local shop can easily replace the rubber?

I have used Roberts two times. They have treated me very well. In jest, sell those corner windows and you will have enough $$ to fix a lot of things. LOL SInce your plans are for the back country, maybe put in plexi-glass.

Welcome to the forum Vance1234.  The corner windows can be tricky to install, and glass gets brittle as it ages.  I know that there are members here that have extra corner glass, but you may want to have a professional reinstall the corner glass when you get the new rubber to avoid breaking them.   The other glass is flat and a lot easier to do yourself.    I agree with stockpiling parts.   Every parts truck I've bought has been cannibalized before scrapping any carcasses.   Sheet metal, switches, suspension, chrome, drivetrain, electrical parts, etc may all come in handy down the road.   Best of luck with your project.

Extra parts are inventory. When I get Phoenix back on the street, there will be backup parts stored under the seats: service manual., starter, coil, points, fan belt, water and fuel pumps, and will have a good inspected fire extinguisher as well, maybe two. Would also have a generator if I hadn't changed to an alternator. For a long trip, a list of forum members along the way. Others may want to add to this list.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Per the following post. I made a list of what I wanted, like Formula noted, lots of items I did not need. Seems my cost was just over $2OO.

Edited by pflaming

Just the weather stripping for the glass, I'd say your around $400 with the corner windows...be careful if you tell Roberts you need all the weather rubber parts..... I got a bill for over $800 and a lot of parts I never needed like a rubber floor mat and other odds and ends. Thankfully I traded the mat for a hood, so it worked out.

Good luck on your project, and dish soap can be your friend when doing the install

Welcome to the group Vance;

Post some photos of your truck and we can help you date it. If you use the search function you can read through past threads on glass replacement. There is some really useful stuff here as many of us have already been through the process. The curved windows are by far the toughest job and are best done on a warm day. The rubber needs to be stretched on and allowed to conform to the shape before any attempt at an install.

Jeff

Thanks for all the info. Yes, I would feel a lot more comfortable with a professional installing the glass. Just wondering if the local glass installers would carry the rubber at a better price? I will give some a call tomorrow and see. I actually have 3 of the pilot house trucks. 2 have the corner glass, the other one does not. The cab without the corner glass has the best cab of all 3, but I do like the corner glass though. The one I am thinking about using is all original, but is missing the bed. I remember that my dad said before he passed away that it was running, but that was about 5 years ago. The other one that has the corner glass had a large oak limb fall on the top of the cab. It pushed the top of the cab down pretty low and busted the front glass out, but everything else is fine. It has a ford straight 6 and automatic transmission just sitting in it. It has a good body other than the top of the cab. It has a low side bed with the larger fenders on it. The 3rd truck has the best cab, with no rust at all, the other 2 have some pretty good rust in the floor pans. At one time I thought about using the cab and put it on the frame of the one with the original engine, but I just like the corner windows. Who knows, I may change my mind. I would like to keep it 6 volt as I think that would be less work, I could be wrong though. I do have another low side bed that has the older looking smaller fenders, which is what I would like to use. I will try and figure out how to load some pictures. I am not to technology inclined though. Ha.

the rubber gaskets will NOT be carried at your general local guys. They are at this point specialty parts.  Have the pro put it back in and you'll not have any problems.

If you break one let me know I have several sets for sale.

Welcome and get some pictures up!

:)

Instead of just replying to the topic hit the more reply options button.  Below the reply box you have the option to browse your computer for the picture you want to post.  After you find your photo attach the file.  You may need to resize your picture smaller in order to upload.  This is accomplished by editing your picture prior to uploading

When you try to post look below on the page to more reply options click on that then you will have choice to do attachments-

I believe that is something even I learned to do after a few tries If your pics are sized properly within limits- that's something for others to address if needed- usually you will be OK. ;)

Best to ya,

Guess my typing is to slow! Vance was faster!

DJ

Edited by DJ194950

when you post, hover over the icons and you'll see what the icons mean.  Image posting is the 11th from the left on the second row of icons when you post.  It looks like a green square in a box.  That will embed a picture into the post from a 3rd party hosting site like Photobucket.

The Post Editor
There are two versions of the post editor: the standard editor and the rich text editor. Which one you use can be configured from your settings. With the rich text editor, you'll see how the post will look when it's finally posted, like a live preview.

The toolbar buttons on each editor are very similar, and each button is explained below, from left to right:

•  
  • picture.png - This will insert an image.
  •  

I am working on the pictures.  I will have to get my wife to help me do it a little later.  I may need to start a new thread because I have a number of questions.  I noticed that the where the rear leaf springs are connected to the frame in the far back it looks like not only are the rubber bushings gone but it looks like they have been gone for so long that their is so much wear that the u shape bolts that were protected are pretty worn down.  the other 2 trucks probably have the u bolt that I can get,  Do they still make the rubber bushings and can you get them at the local parts store and if not where?