Odometer reading on a 47 Dodge

central52

There is no way to tell for sure but there are some clues that you can look for Engines were often worn out at 100K Does the car have it's original engine or does it show signs of having been rebuilt? is there a lot of wear around the drivers position on the door, seat, pedals, steering wheel? Are there lubrication stickers on the door post? Were there any service receipts in the glove box? Are there any notes or stickers in the engine compartment? Did you find anything under the seats or in the trunk? Do you know who the previous owners were so you could call them and ask? You're dealing with one of life's little mysteries Good luck

• Like 3

Yep, checked glove compartment. Had a receipt for an oil change, back in June, 2003, mileage at that time 93,949. With his name and address on it, I wrote him a letter asking for any information he can give me on the car. Waiting for response. (Hope he didn't die). Doesn't seem to have any excessive wear around the pedals. Ed

You already now more than you did and the answer to your letter will probably add to your knowlege about the car  and your appreciation of it. I hope you find that it belonged to someone who valued it, loved it, and took care of it. The fellow you wrote to will probably be happy to learn that you have the car and that it is in good hands. Please post what you find out.

As the guy above said, there is only the car's condition to let you know the mileage as the odometer on old cars goes back to 00000 after it passes 99,999.  There are many sellers who try to use that to their advantage by advertising a car as having only 41000 miles, when it really has 141000!  There is no sixth figure on old odometers.  I learned that lesson when I bought my first car, a 1950 Chrysler that showed about 40000 on the odometer.  When I contacted the previous owner who had owned it since 1962, he said that the odometer had been around the clock a couple of times! 

• Like 1

Something else to consider about odometer readings on older cars is that it was not illegal to roll back mileage until sometime in the early 1970's.   Odometer 'clocking' was a widespread practice in both the used-car industry and among private sellers to a lesser degree.   The only way I'd trust the odometer was if there were a bunch of repair receipts and other documentation showing an orderly progression of mileage through the years.

• Like 2

Won't the numbers be somewhat jumbled if it goes over 100k?  Under 100k they should be nice and even.

The numbers stay even as long as they weren't tampered with, even on the second or third trip around.  Most used-car odometer jockeys would force the ten-thousands wheel to turn, knocking-off the alignment and sometimes breaking a tooth or two on the number wheel.  One method to see if an odometer was moved is to tap the top of the dashboard and see if any of the numbers bounce, which indicates internal gear issues with the odometer.