Rear end swap upgrade

Edrowesuave

your early unit will be tapered axles..and from my inter-sub book you should not have a 10 spline axle for that 741 case......in the truck line up with a C style axle you can have 30 and 16 splines and in the car line up all I see are C style axles and 30 splines....but also for the truck you could have a G series axle (with domed hub) and those are 16 spline axles...you may have to go a bit deeper in identifying the actual donor you have for your vehicle..

The feds in 67 mandated dual reservoir for safety reasons.

M/Cs that are below the calipers need 2 lbs residual to prevent flow back. 

Disc brakes basically do not use residual pressure like the drums because the brakes would drag.

Rears drums need a 10 lb residual valve and a port valve for tuning if doing a upgrade/mod etc.

Drums use the rediual to overcome the spring pressure on the pedal. That spongy feeling you can get with a poorly tuned drum/drum system.

The rear brakes should act as a rudder to assist the front brakes in stopping....not "come in" first.

Side Note: When I race the 72 Charger in circle track, the rear brakes are almost non existent. It allows the back end to "drive" itself (read that as drift or slide) around the corner. It scubs speed, but is helpful with a bigger car like the Charger. I will not build or drive a Camaro...lol. 

48D

• Like 2

Good point Tim. I had residual valves in my initial install (per several guidelines) and had to remove them to get my system working properly.

Also I fitted a dual reservoir M/C that was as close a match to the actual brake components I used. Since I had swapped in an axle from a Grand Cherokee with rear discs I used the M/C from that same model. Balance was close but the rears were locking up first until I spent some time adjusting the PV.

Modifying a brake system is serious business. It is not something to be taken lightly or scrimp on. Failure is not something any of us want to hear about.

Jeff

• Like 1

I got lucky, the MC and prop valve I took from a Cherokee worked what I would call perfectly with the front disc setup and YJ rear diff. There is a thread with pictures out there somewhere if others are interested.

I'm interested and thanks in advance for providing a link ! and Look what you started by starting this topic Edroesuave, Personally I appreciate all the input from everyone that knows about Mopar and general automotive technology. I'm sure I'll be influenced one way or another.

Thanks,

Hank  

I think I was first and he was right behind me and maybe made a few steps easier.... Either way IMO it's a very easy swap for a big gain, and lots of them out in the wrecking yards and fairly cheap remans online.

Today I'm still struggling with my power steering swap, built the new column bracket tonight, and managed to scratch my new column up.... Just one of those nights.

I'm still running a stock, single chamber, master cylinder on my truck with Rusty Hope disc brake conversion up front. I didn't add any residual valves and it all works quite fine for me. Some may argue that I'm tempting fate, but it works for me.

Merle

How's the pressure you have to apply with your foot compared to the original all-drum setup? The only reason I'm not switching to front discs is because I think I'll make the physical work too hard, as discs don't "assist" the pedal like drums do

But, per your post, all seems to be ok? I remember PP also seemed to be happy with his discs, and watching him tearing through Tim's driveway a couple years ago after you fixed his wires; he seemed to stop ok (like we'd hoped at the time, lol).

• Like 1

I have posted this many times but not in  this thread. Just another source for a differential swap.

mopar_axle_sizes.jpg

Don, what's the source on this? I'd like to see if I can fill in the blanks with C-body rear ends as well (C-bodies always seem to get left out).

I did some research and found out I have a Mopar 8 3/4" rearend.Cast into the driver side of the case is the number 1820657 (1957-1964) identify the smaller 1 3/8th-inch-diameter, 10-spline pinion shaft, and are often called the "741" case.Now to find a replacement axle.

My first classic truck was a 53 GMC, I worked on it alot and didn't hardly drive it.

This truck I want to drive it more than I work on it.

8 3/4" is a good one to have - you should be able to get new ring and pinion gears, if needed, and have any ratio you want. Plus it'll be all Mopar. 8 3/4" pumpkins have the top two studs close together - closer up pics?

How's the pressure you have to apply with your foot compared to the original all-drum setup? The only reason I'm not switching to front discs is because I think I'll make the physical work too hard, as discs don't "assist" the pedal like drums do

But, per your post, all seems to be ok? I remember PP also seemed to be happy with his discs, and watching him tearing through Tim's driveway a couple years ago after you fixed his wires; he seemed to stop ok (like we'd hoped at the time, lol).

The smaller diameter master cylinder you use the less foot pressure is required.

I used an ECI dual master conversion on my car and there system has a mechanical advantage feature that requires less foot pressure.

MVC-003F-1.jpg

No doubt the T5 is a great way to go. I especially liked the way JohnT53 accomplished the installation. I forget where the T5 comes out of and how hard are they to find and for how much.they cost. Don you are not thinkink about going back to your old rum running days with your car now are you ? I see alot of those moonshiners on TV live down your way.

Hank  :)

Thanks Hank. I wanted to post a link here but now I can't find that content anymore. It was under the "old" forum, around 2011. I can't seem to search by "topics started by (me)". So maybe it is lost? :-(

I don't know if the pedal pressure is any more or less than the all drum setup. All I know it that it stops a whole lot better with the discs up front. Maybe my drums weren't set perfect. It did stop fairly well, but I would also notice a little fade under heavy use. Now I have great confidence in the brakes at any speed.

Merle

Thanks Hank. I wanted to post a link here but now I can't find that content anymore. It was under the "old" forum, around 2011. I can't seem to search by "topics started by (me)". So maybe it is lost? :-(

John's official T-5 thread:

http://p15-d24.com/index.php?showtopic=23955

I maintain a Microsoft Word file called "Pilothouse Threads" in which I copy/paste the address of threads of special interest or excellence. I have to hand it to the moderators when they switched servers and graciously provided a solution that allowed me to re-path the hyperlinks (as above).

Now if only I can find the path to Tim's Starter Lever removal. I have to do the install part...but it's a ways down the road as I need to get busy on restoring FEF's Radio first. Mark has magnanimously given me till spring because about now I imagine Mark can't even find the garage FEF is parked in. I guess it's just the way it goes in Minnesnowta. 

In an attempt to steer this thread back on topic:

2015-01-10_1757_zps14547fff.png

Davin:  "I used a MOPAR specific home-made axle puller which my old mate Arnold made for me"..

So I guess I get to see my "old friend" Scott here stateside and he'll help me create a similar tool. I think I can explain how I think it works, but I'm not totally sure. 1.) the threaded rods act as legs and maintain the distance between the end of the axle housing and the puller plate on the tool. 2.) The central nut on the tool that is inline and attached to the axle itself is turned clockwise which pulls the axle out.

Advice from mechanical geniuses greatly appreciated,

Edited by HanksB3B

John;

You should expect it to feel much like disc brake equipped vehicle of the late 60's or 70's that doesn't have power assist. Those of us of a certain age are quite familiar with that "feel". ;) No big deal though it is something you get used to fairly easy. I would think this mod would go quite well with the other stuff you have already done. Going to discs is by far the best mod I have made.

Jeff

That's exactly how my home-made works Hank, but Ed's method would work just fine also. I had a tool made as I have a few trucks to restore. I'll get back onto converting my second 3.54 diff for use in the 52 truck when I return home next week.

I do not need a lot of foot pressure with my disc brakes. I drove the Phoenix to the Sequoia National Park last March on a pull / heat test going up and a brake test coming down. The elevation change is six thousand feet in some 3O miles. The temp did not change, with a 3:73 rear axle it never lugged down and it pulled the hill to the top in 3rd gear. On the way down I never had any brake fade, they held nice and even all the way home. I'm very pleased. I do wish I had put in a 3:54 for freeway driving. I can easily stay with the truckers and pass at will, but a 3:54 would give me lower RPMs and less engine noise.

Paul,  that sounds like an inspirational drive, may you find the time to finish over this winter and take that ride over to Tims this spring.

Davin, I guess from the standpoint of cost, amount of use and ease of fabrication Ed's tool and method should be the first attempt. (Rod that insinkerator drain insert may do it in principal when combined with Ed' method)

Thanks guys and Davin enjoy your time with your Mum,

I'm trying to pull the axle shaft out and it doesn't want to come out.I'll try using Young Ed's PVC spacer method tomorrow.I really like HanksB3B's axle puller.I think I have some pvc laying around here somewhere.

After I get the axle out I hope to find a replacement.

I think it's pretty neat how you can swap out the gear assembly on these 8.75 mopar rearends