Any good mechanics in the New Haven, Conn. area

central52

Hi, Anyone know of a good, reliable old time (or new) mechanic in the New Haven, Conn. area that can work on my 47 Dodge? My regular guy says he can do the simple stuff, but anything more complicated, like the fluid drive, he's not sure. Thanks, Ed

What does he think is complicated with the fluid drive?  They are basically as bulletproof as any power transfer unit can be,  The only thing I have ever heard about them is that one of the seals may leak.  So NO LEAK = NO PROBLEM.  Now, these old mopars sometimes have a rear main seal leak, and a couple of leaks from areas on the the transmission it self, so you need to know what fluid it is and where its coming from if a leak is evidenced under the car.  So a good cleaning of the area is needed if you suspect something.  As for mechanics, jump on to the Car Talk website and do a search of your area under the mechanics file section.  You may turn up some thing as Car Talk listeners seem to be the kind of folks who like to keep old stuff running.

I would say leave the fluid drive coupling alone. Don't change the fluid.It's not necessary.

I have worked on many FD couplings and replaced the graphite seals and bellows, clutch driven plates ect.

To be safe I'd leave it alone if it works smootly, no noises and no leaks.

JMo.

Bob

I'll message you one of the best guys in the area to work on your fluid drive.  He rebuilt my entire brake and fuel system and has a dozen classics he has completely redone.At the very least you can drive by and describe to him your issue and he can give you advice on the next step.  I live a few towns over from New Haven and he is in Oxford up on Route 8 about 20 minutes away.  Hope this helps...he is the most knowledgeable mechanic I can think of for these cars.