gasket for sending unit access plate

jcmiller

What have folks used as a replacement for the gasket on the sending unit access plate in the trunk?  I made a replacement out of a rubberized gasket material from the auto parts store, but it is not thick and compressible enough to work very well. Maybe a thick felt material?

Also, the plate has a raised section for the wires to pass through.  Mine originally had a black gooey substance around the wires to seal that raised section.  What's a good replacement for the gooey stuff?

Thx.

I didn't use a gasket. I just glued it down with 3M strip caulk. that seals the wires and screws.

Do they still sell that?  I dunno...

Otherwise I'd use rubberized cork .094" thick.

I didn't use a gasket. I just glued it down with 3M strip caulk. that seals the wires and screws.

Do they still sell that?  I dunno...

Otherwise I'd use rubberized cork .094" thick.

I think I'd use 3M Strip Caulk too for two reasons. First, it will probably do the job perfectly including sealing the wires but not pinching them. And secondly, I happen to have some on the shelf left over from installing the roof insert on my '33 PD.

TodFitch, on 21 Dec 2014 - 5:07 PM, said:

I think I'd use 3M Strip Caulk too for two reasons. First, it will probably do the job perfectly including sealing the wires but not pinching them. And secondly, I happen to have some on the shelf left over from installing the roof insert on my '33 PD.

What is the shelf life on this stuff?

I've had some on the shelf for at least 4 years. Still as sticky and pliable as it was when I got it.

I got it when I installed the roof insert which was probably late 1997 or early 1998 so that would be 15 or more years ago. I just checked the stuff in the box and it is still just as sticky and pliable as I remember it being way back when. One of the applications listed on the box is for sealing things like the cover jcmiller was asking about.

Wow, thanks everyone.  I stuck with the rubberized gasket material, because I had already cut it to shape, but added silicone to seal it better and added extra silicone in the wide spot where the wires go through.  Per Don's suggestion, I also made a new gasket for the sending unit out of rubberized cork

post-3715-0-95258400-1419222342_thumb.jpg

It's funny how these projects snowball.  This started with me taking off the trunk to replace the hinges and turned into a bunch of extra projects.  One thing I've learned over the last few years with this car is that it's a lot easier taking things off than putting them back on.  I'm working on getting everything back onto the car that I took off over the last year or so.

Some silicones don't like some vinyl type wiring insulation. They seal OK, but years later they start to get gooey. There's an chemical reaction.

Anyhow I try not to use silicone on wiring. I do sometimes use Plasti-dip, which so far has worked well.

Amazingly long. Dad had a box that was at least 30 years old when I inherited it, and while the top layer was stiff, the second layer was still soft.

(BTW, it was called "Scotch Caulk" on the old box. They changed the name in the 60's I believe.)

Edited by Ulu