Water Pump Woes and what I learned...

denmopar

Last Summer, while I had the water pump off my '54 to install a new timing chain set, I noticed the bushing was quite worn. I decided to obtain either a rebuild kit or rebuilt pump.

The kits from the boutique sources aren't cheap. I spotted (on the auction site) what was supposed to be a genuine Mopar-rebuilt pump for a bit more. I bought it.

Bad buy.....Whoever had rebuilt it should not have. Long story short- it was cobbled more than I think would ever have made for a proper rebuild.

Busy with body and paint work and wanting to button up the engine, I decided to buy one of the new pumps offered on that auction site.....

It was a "GMB" brand (read Chinese new manufacture) pump.

Initially, I was quite impressed with the casting and machine work. I installed it.....

I'm one of those guys who tune my engine to factory specs....That included factory idle speed (450-500 rpm.)

I started the engine, added antifreeze to full (t/stat opened) and let it idle for some 5-10 minutes.....That's when trouble started.....

The temp gauge started to climb to the top of the "normal" range and edging higher...Not good-not normal-- I know my temp gauge and my engine..I stepped on the gas and held the engine at fast idle around 1000 rpm steady....The temp gauge indication began to fall.......Let off the gas and the gauge began to climb up again......Verified full level and no air pockets....

So, I took off the new Chinese pump and opened it up.....I opened up the original OEM pump and discovered a number of things:

The volute in the Chinese pump was not fully cast, (Truncated.) The impeller was smaller than OEM, therefore leaving a wider gap between it and the volute.....

I ordered a mad- in-USA Gates brand pump from NAPA opened it to find it was exactly as OEM....Installed it and all is well.

.....Only now do I discover rebuilt pumps at PartsGeek at lower cost than the NAPA job. (But I have a solid warranty with the NAPA pump).

Hopefully, my story will warn others of the pitfalls of unknown brand pumps.

Cheers-

Den- 

• Like 1

Chinese parts are no good!

Many times with new chinese hydraulic brake parts I have had to start over and just send them to White Post.

I hate China crap!!!!!!

The rant is over.

The problem with "China crap", is , that is what some company here will have a China company make for the

lowest price/quality, that can be made.        China gets the bad rap, for what some company here makes the big profit.

I have been to China several times, and seen a lot of difference in products in China, and the China product that are here.

Those "made in the USA products". yeah right.       Many are made in China also, like the axle seals from Napa, from SK company,

are made in Zheingchang, that is west of Shanghai, stamped "USA".......

I replaced the waterpump on my 52 with a gates pump from napa and it was made in china the issue I had with it was the gasket between the pump housing and the plate on the back leaked like crazy took it back off made a new gasket for it and it has been good since

China should not produce or sell any USA designed CRAP to the rest of the world if they want to prove that they can and do make quality goods.

A company here in the US will design and spec out an item. Check out production intially at the chinese plant-all ok.

Then the product shows up here in the US a year later produced a bit different-cheaper metals, casting porosity beyond specs ect. Minor issues that to fix and no one person in China to take care of these water pup issues! The pumps are then all sold across the US and people are pissed. Warranties taken care of if demanded. All the pumps are sold. Some are OK A lot are not and on and on the cycle goes. No one will admit who is at fault. The consumer gets bogus CHINA crap again.

And now Chinese crap today is not all that cheap anymore.

I don't trust some things stamped USA either.

Too many marketing games now days to try to make people think they are purchasing a quality made right hear in the USA. Maybe the paper describing the item is made in the USA. Not the product.

China crap is crap. Period.

Whether it's brake wheel/master cylinders, water pumps, etc.....if I have my ORIGINAL-MADE IN USA part & can't rebuild it myself, it gets sent out for a rebuild. If I have to pay more than an aftermarket POS part, fine with me. I would rather source a used repairable part if the original was missing.

I had my OEM pump rebuilt by NAPA.  Not even a 1000 miles and it squeels a lot, and spits fluid under the hood and onto the battery, which I mistook for acid.

Does your pump have a grease fitting, and if so did you use marine grease? Also too much grease will result in premature failure as the pump has to work too hard.

I work in the RV service industry. Rebuild generators, refrigerators,air conditioners,what ever is broken we fix.One of our major generator manufactures went the way of China a few years ago. In 30 years never saw so many mechanical failures as the last couple years.Crankshafts snapped,valve seats dropping out, valve springs breaking,fuel pumps failing,premature brush wear.Not only the generators but most of the electrical components are off shore. Sad to say but it looks like max profit has replaced pride.Though we have very little failure with the Winnebago in our fleet. They refuse to damage their good name.

Yep^^^^^

Thats what I deal with on all the antique cars I work on.Good quality replacement parts are near impossible to find now days.

Sad.

Newer car aftermarket stuff is nearly as bad.

Dealer mostly to be sure of a good replacement part.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

Let us not confuse a part labeled merely "USA" ( likely a crooked selling tool only)  to a statement "MADE IN USA."

Brand names  these days mean nothing.....So many brands have outsourced..."SK" may well be made in China- to specs from SK.....If it didn't state "Made in USA" on the item or packaging- it likely isn't.

As I mentioned, the Gates pump I purchased is clearly marked on the pump and packaging as "MADE IN USA" Perhaps there are pumps from different sources sold by NAPA.

I'm skilled and equipped to rebuild a simple pump...I chose to go the quicker route with all I had (still have) to do on this project and the need then to move the car under power.

Hindsight being what it is, I could've rebuilt a couple of them in the time spent bolting on and off water pumps....Like I wrote...."and what I learned..."