Is $5,000 a fair price for a 47 Dodge 4-dr sedan?

central52

Hi, guys, Going to look at a 47 Dodge 4-dr sedan, for 5 grand.  Seller sent me pics, and it looks very nice. Body looks to be in great shape.  Some small surface rust near trunk lid only. Has, of course, fluid drive.  Wondering if there are any issues with it?  So, do you people think $5,000 is a good deal for it. Of course, I will have to drive it, but seller says it runs like a top.  Comments?    Ed

Condition is everything with price.  It is hard to give you an openion without photos but I payed just a few hundred more for my '48 Windsor.  I belive it was a 7+ on a 1-10 scale. It needed a radiator but ran without any other issues.  I have not HAD to do anything else to the car.  I choose to do a disk brake conversion and paint it. 

if you do not do your own work and the rust is at the acceptable limit for you and it drives out nicely..still your call as location and availability play greatly in price.  But if you thinking of grabbing it now and down the road considering body and paint, interior work..these cost must be factored at this time...doing your own paint and body will save mucho money..paint even by even a small body shop that is fast on the draw with a paint gun can run a chunk...weigh the total car against your end goal..price accordingly..fluid drive cars are still on the road after all these years and doing fine..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

If a body shop has to do the paint work and if they have to strip the paint and also do any major repairs I would figure on 8-10K for a paint job.

Then also figure at the same time getting new glass installed at the same time even if the glass looks good better to install new and also new rubber seals.

If you can strip the car of paint then you can save some money and also take off the fenders and trim also saves time and money.

To paint the car need good compressor, and filters, good gun and other tools, so price out the required items and then price out having it done.

Rich Hartung

Look around your area, +/- 'xx' miles, and see if you can find any other 46-48 Dodge-Plymouth-DeSoto-Chrysler and compare vehicles and prices.

Who knows, you might find something better suited to your 'wants'.

As mentioned, body work and paint can consume huge quantities of cash if you send it out.

Thanks, guys for the input.    Looked at the car just a few hours ago.  Paint looks to be very good.  A good wax  job will really bring out the  beauty of it.  A few minor surface rust around trunk lid.  Starts right up, motor sounds great, no smoke from exhaust.  Dri ves straight, brakes nicely.  Fluid drive shifts smoothly.  Interior was done over a few years ago, and looks like original pattern.  Soooo, I bought it.  Whew.  Will post pics later.  Ed

• Like 1

Yep, The car looks real good. Wife is impressed. Except for some rust areas on the surface around the trunk lid, and doors, plus rust in the trunk area itself, just surface,(treat with Rust-Mort,then paintover) I did that treatment with rust on my former 47 Plymouth. Not professional, I admit, but covered it nicely. Saved a lot of bucks from pros who wanted $1,500 to do it right. I'm fussy, but not that fussy. Anyhow, looking forward to working on it, and get it ready for the spring & summer car shows. Ed

Drive it often and far.  It may have been mentioned by the previous owner but Fluid drive provides no compression braking with the engine off.  Make sure your parking brake is in good working condition, or make sure the wheel;s are chocked. Wouldn't want the car visiting neighbors uninvited.

Edited by greg g

I once bought a 1948 Dodge four door sedan in San Diego back in the 80s.  It was a non-running parts car, black.  I saw a guy with the same car in a auto garage have work done who had a smashed in door, so I left a note and he came and bought a good door from me.  I then supplied many Dodge owners with parts then junked the rest.  I also did the same with a 41 Dodge business coupe in the 80s, but a teenager came along who bought the whole car and when I saw him again a year later at the San Diego antique car swap, he was actually driving it!!!  Dodge certainly made great cars!  Love the butterfly type hood, one of the last cars to open like that. 

So back to your original question, which is a moot point since you already bought the car, but, yes, $5K is a good price for a D24 4dr sedan in your car's condition.  Especially in your part of the country.  Although I've seen some ridiculous asking prices for # 1 D24s, the 4-dr sedans top out around $10K in all the price guides I've seen.  I'd have jumped on that one myself.  Looks to be primarily cosmetic things to tend to on yours.  A very nice find at a reasonable price, congratulations!  We look forward to progress updates, and if you don't do anything but drive it, we'll look forward to reports on your adventures...this is a very curious (meaning inquisitive, not "odd", and I'll leave it at that) group. 

The bead chain is supposedly connected somehow to throttle linkage. (cruise control)  I haven't fully inspected yet as to how it is done.  But the guy I bought the car says he never engaged it, and not to worry,  He says the previous owner hooked it up.  Weird.   Good point about the fluid drive not holding the car when engine off.  Will definitely use hand brake.        Looking at the paint job, I'm wondering if it's original.  It's the same color in the engine compartment, and door jams.  Is there a website that lists the colors for that year Dodge?     And exactly what is model name of car.  I see no lettering anywhere on body, like custom deluxe.  But on the rear glass quarter panes, there is lettering that reads "limited edition".    Thanks again, guys, for your input.   Ed

central52, on 22 Dec 2014 - 07:10 AM, said:

Is there a website that lists the colors for that year Dodge?    

Explore this website (beyond this forum) and you will find all kinds of information about your car.

Click on the links on the tool bar at the top of this page. Everybody should read the information found within.

• Like 1