6v. regulator question

1948cruiser

I believe my regulator on my 48 dodge is going bad. If it sits more than a few days i have to polarize my generator but my battery still shows 6.56v. Once polarized my amp guage is bouncing all over and at a high iddle im showing 7.45 v. At battery, is this normal? Also can i run a 6v. Positive ground regulator that is meant for a tractor?

how old is the battery in your car? Have you run a test on the battery to see if the battery might have a dead cell. Is there water in the battery and can you screw off the caps to check the battery with a hydrometer?

The correct regulator for your car is an Autolite:

Generator GDZ-4801A  of GDZ 4801B  both use the same regulator  VRP-4503A

The VRP-4503A  found on Chrysler Desoto, Dodge, Dodge Truck, Fargo, Plymouth  from 1940-42  and 1946-50  except Dodge truck which was 40-41 and 44-49,

Fargo 40-42 and 46-49  So you should be able to find someting

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

Polarizing the generator simply sets a residual magnetic field in the soft iron core. It is highly unlikely that the soft iron core will lose its magnetism in years of sitting much less a few days.

Not sure what is happening when you polarize it to make things work but strongly suspect that you are twiddling with the regulator while doing that. I'd personally take a close look at the regulator.