!951 Plymouth Value

jonnysteals

I have the oppurtunity to buy a 1951 plymouth 4door that is supposedly rot free. It is painted black and white in a cop theme with spray paint. The interior is trashed but I have a 1950 dodge coronet with an interior I just finished redoing in black and red leather. My 1950 dodge needs rockers as well as a drivers side floor pan. Do you think that the car is worth 500 dollars or should I continue working on my dodge. I attached a pic of the car

post-519-13585345733584_thumb.jpg

Do you HAVE to pick one over the other?? IF so I think I would stay with the Dodge. Not trying to make the plymouth people mad here,,but used to drive both to high school,,,about ten lifetimes ago. And MUCH prefered the ride and solidness of the Dodge with the fluid drive to the loosey goosy plys,(course one had a cracked broken frame,,would that make a difference??lol)

Okay, in reality ,I LOVE them both,but hands down the Dodge is MY fav.!!!

Saying that, did they use those 51 plys as cop cars?? IF so, sure would be neat to have a good one of those painted as such!! So if you did one interior,,,how bout two??? Never hurts to have a spare old Mopar,least you could tell your WIFE that,,,if it works on HER!! I dont have ANYBODY too please so is a non issue for me!!

Good luck,either is GOOD,,,some pros and cons both ways!! Let us see both IF possible and let us know when you have both in your stable!!-don-

It's worth much more than $500 in parts alone. And, if it truly is a low rust vehicle ....... someone needs to grab it. I hope that the alternative isn't the crusher. At first look it appears much too good for that in this day of Mopar resurgence.

And, as to driveability, they are the same car from a suspension and weight perspective so any driveability issues would come from the condition of the individual cars and the differences in feel imparted based on the operation of the transmissions.

Well I am asking for more picture so I can assure its truely a rust free vehicle. Its not the money that the hold up its the 6-7 hour drive to pick it up. It has no motor and trans which I am happy about because I will put a 318 727 into it. I am not a fan of the old flat heads because I like to cruise at 75 mph. I know the old flatheads could be adapted to a t5 but I prefer the ability to pick up parts at any local auto parts warehouse. I will keep with updates as I recieve them.

It might be OK. The spray paint job may have kept the surface rust off the body..... The grille and bumper look decent in the pic. Don't see any rust over the headlights or across front edge of hood. You would wonder about condition of the floors and trunk, of course. Along with how are things on the rear end. Do you know anyone in the area where the car is located who could go check it out? The $500 part seems reasonable. Have you asked on this forum previously if anyone lives in your area? It does not state in the upper right corner profile where you are located....you might want to go back and fill that in.

I live in Southern New Jersey. I ahve a picture of the interior which seems to be in pretty good shape. I can not resize it to post it without completely distorting the picture. The drivers side floor pic he sent me only has surface rust and no rust threw. I know the rockers on these cars are prone to rusting. My 1950 dodge coronet is rusted there along with the drivers side floor pan. I am 99% sure I am going to purchase it if it is actually in the condition as described. The interior seats are all torn up and there are no door panels, but the door handles and window cranks all are there.

It's a Cranbrook judging by the windshield stainless trim. Given my love for all things P23, I say buy it and save it. Rockers and floors are repro-ed and easy to get....just add money! With a modern drivetrain (and upgraded brakes) you'll have a nice cruiser.

I'm in Freehold, where are you?

I live in upper township. I am surprised that fellow classic restores live this close to me. I am picking up the car in two weeks. Now I own a 1950 coronet; ripped apart, a 1951 plymouth cranbrook, a 1962 ford falcon(lots of motor work), and to many trucks to list. Good thing I have a lot of room around my house lol