Adding Forum to Tapatalk?

Sponsored By  

I browse forums often on  my cell phone and was wondering if there were any plans on adding this forum to Tapatalk?  I don't know what the downsides would be and was just curious if that had ever been brought up before to the Moderators or Admins.

I just took a long look at it last month. Concerns were it is focused on the forums and none of the other content. Plus in reading through the reviews on the IPS support forum it seems to have a lot of bug issues that impact the user experience, especially posting images. They do get them resolved eventually.  I understand the current mobile/tablet offering is less than optimal and will be finally addressed with the next version of the IPS forum software. It is currently in beta and I would expect a production release Q2 2015. 

That said, if their is sufficient interest in Tapatalk I would consider doing a test run. If others are interested please add your response to this thread. 

I say why not, the most annoying thing about tapatalk is the popup when you're browsing it through the web on a mobile device.  Glad to see you had already started considering it.

I have no idea what Tapatalk is. Is there some benefit to folks like me that do not know what it is? Is something on the forum that is broke and will this fix it?

It's primarily a way for mobile users (think cell phones and tablets) to view the forum and get up to date reply information directly to their main device.  Browsing through a webpage on a cell phone can be a pain because you no longer have a keyboard and mouse to navigate, which becomes apparent on forums especially.  It also doesn't change anything and really only affects people who want to browse on their mobile devices.

Edited by 1940_dodge

I say why not, the most annoying thing about tapatalk is the popup when you're browsing it through the web on a mobile device.  Glad to see you had already started considering it.

It's primarily a way for mobile users (think cell phones and tablets) to view the forum and get up to date reply information directly to their main device.  Browsing through a webpage on a cell phone can be a pain because you no longer have a keyboard and mouse to navigate, which becomes apparent on forums especially.  It also doesn't change anything and really only affects people who want to browse on their mobile devices.

Oddly I've never had much a problem browsing this and other forums on my Galaxy S5...

Oddly I've never had much a problem browsing this and other forums on my Galaxy S5...

My main gripe is resizing the windows to read the text then having to swipe over to the buttons so you're not trying to tap something that's 7 pixels wide.  The tapatalk app just simplifies all that.

My main gripe is resizing the windows to read the text then having to swipe over to the buttons so you're not trying to tap something that's 7 pixels wide.  The tapatalk app just simplifies all that.

If I use the "full site" version using Safari on my iPhone it is cumbersome, as you say, because I have to zoom in on the text to make it readable. That also means a lot of scrolling back and forth as well as up and down.

I typically use the mobile version on Safari. This works quite well but is missing some of the features I'm used to when on my computer. The main thing I miss is the "Next Unread Thread" link at the bottom of a thread. On the mobile version I have to scroll all the way back to the top to get back to the list and then choose the next thread. I could just swipe back to get to the thread list but then the thread I just read still shows unread and I have a tendency to select it again by mistake. There is also no way to edit a message in the mobile version that I've been able to find. Maybe I'm missing something.

It works to keep up with the threads when I'm away from my 'puter, but it is limited some.

Merle

I have no idea what Tapatalk is. Is there some benefit to folks like me that do not know what it is? Is something on the forum that is broke and will this fix it?

You can read more about it here:https://tapatalk.com/

deathbound, on 21 Dec 2014 - 03:00 AM, said:

You can read more about it here:https://tapatalk.com/

Thanks for the link. Mobile device is the key words. I personally don't use any mobile devices for anything except phone calls when traveling so this service is something I would not benefit from. My fat fingers and a cell phone keyboard don't partner up well at all. But I can see where this might benefit others.

• Like 1

I have no need for tapatalk either. I can understand the usage of the app as a tool conducting business but I still consider these old cars and trucks as a hobby for most of us and an urgent update of the forum topics is usually unnecessary. Most of us are not on a rigid time schedule for project completions so waiting until a laptop or tower is accessible shouldn't be a big deal.

If I use the "full site" version using Safari on my iPhone it is cumbersome, as you say, because I have to zoom in on the text to make it readable. That also means a lot of scrolling back and forth as well as up and down.

I typically use the mobile version on Safari. This works quite well but is missing some of the features I'm used to when on my computer. The main thing I miss is the "Next Unread Thread" link at the bottom of a thread. On the mobile version I have to scroll all the way back to the top to get back to the list and then choose the next thread. I could just swipe back to get to the thread list but then the thread I just read still shows unread and I have a tendency to select it again by mistake. There is also no way to edit a message in the mobile version that I've been able to find. Maybe I'm missing something.

It works to keep up with the threads when I'm away from my 'puter, but it is limited some.

Merle

In the current mobile version of the site you can edit a post you have made by doing the following:

1. Tap the post you want to edit with your finger.

2. Three small blue boxes will appear at the bottom of the post, "Quote", "Edit", and "Mark Solved"

3. Chose "Edit" and change what you want.

This is the way i do it on my iPhone 6. I'd think it was the same for all the other phones or at least quite similar. 

One thing i don't know how to do on the current mobile version of the site is add a picture to a post i want to make. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Chris 

I wouldn't mind a tapatalk version. It's handy. I'm on about 8 or 9 different forums and I think only 2 of them have a tapatalk version.

In the current mobile version of the site you can edit a post you have made by doing the following:

1. Tap the post you want to edit with your finger.

2. Three small blue boxes will appear at the bottom of the post, "Quote", "Edit", and "Mark Solved"

3. Chose "Edit" and change what you want.

This is the way i do it on my iPhone 6. I'd think it was the same for all the other phones or at least quite similar. 

One thing i don't know how to do on the current mobile version of the site is add a picture to a post i want to make. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Chris 

Copy and paste doesn't work? kind of like how you send a picture through a text message on an iphone?

Is the "mobile version" a setting you change on the phone or by clicking a link on the site?  I used to see this site in mobile version but it got switched somehow to "full site" and I can't figure out how to change it back.  My phone is Galaxy S4 if that matters.  Thx.