Summer or Winter position

Mrbrylcreem

Hello again. I was wondering if any could assist me as to what position my adjustable heat control was currently in. I need to move it to  the summer position. But are unsure what position it is currently in.

post-6560-0-73955700-1418668290_thumb.jpg

The shaft would be tilted all the way forward. in most cases for warm operation. The damper would then be horizontal allowing all exhaust from the first 3 cylinders to exit freely without being diverted under the carb intake.

Is this a custom made application?

I have not seen any heat riser set-up like your before.. 

Does the shaft spin when the nut is loosened?

Now re-looking at your pic, the exhaust dump is on the right side of the pic, is there 2 exhaust dumps? What engine is this?

The bottom line would be, that the heat riser damper flap be in a position to allow exhaust gas to flow out freely and not be diverted under the carb/intake base.

Edited by Fargos-Go-Far

Okay now I get it, right hand drive. The heat riser flap still needs to be horizontal for a warm up or warm weather position, this as mentioned before to allow exhaust gas to flow out freely. On your setup it may be the last 3 cyls that have there exhaust diverted in this process. Start your engine and and adjust the heat riser for max exhaust flow, that hopefully will work. good luck

I think some of the power wagons had this type of setup that didn't use the self adjusting bimetallic spring and counterweight.   This setup requires manual adjustment and is referenced in some of the service manuals I've seen.  The top bolt is most likely where the post for the arm of the spring would mount if so equipped.   If it were mine, I think I'd be moving that adjustment periodically to keep it limber so that it doesn't seize in one position.  If you need me to, I can reference the service manual and try to get a pic for you.  Mike