P15 idles smooth but runs rough when revving, backfires, pops.

David Dyer

Well I found my problem! The pigtail be tween the points and the coil wire terminal was made of stiff wire and had broken at the terminal so when the plate would move it would bounce and lose contact! Iam making a new one with flexible wire so there is no pressure on the ends.

Thanks to the ones who made suggestions!

David

• 1 month later...

A really good reason to use the proper type of fine strand wire leads in the distributor that are capable of flexing thousands upon thousands of times. :)

This problem of using standard automotive wire as a fix in the distributor is common and will get you into trouble!

• Like 1

I believe I am having the same problem. What size wire should I use to replace it?

# 1261010      if correct distributor

Collectorsautosupply, ....... $6 + ship or mitchellmotorparts .......cost?

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered the wires for 19 bucks a piece. A little pricey but was tired of getting the "We don't carry those and don't know who does" or "We only sell the breaker plate" Which is fine except I don't need a breaker plate.sorry for the rant.