Need some help

Eric T

I have a Special Deluxe that is supposed to be positive ground. The battery cables are hooked up positive to the solenoid and the negative to the generator mount. I recently traded another car for this one and the previous owner said it was running great until a month ago. All the interior and exterior lights work. The motor turns over really slow. I have checked and cleaned the points, have good spark, replaced the coil, rotor button and had the battery tested. It was good and then I noticed how the cables were attached. I found in the manual that came with the car that the cables are supposed to be exact opposite of the way I found them unless I'm reading the diagram wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day. 

this would not hinder the starting of the car...you would be wise to check cable gauge and condition of the cable ends, terminals and connection points...if it was this way and running...the unit is polarized for the negative ground...and the ammeter probably also reversed to assume this operation...you did not bother to mention if still 6 volt or upgraded to 12..am assuming 6 here and if so..cables need to be quite heavy for the current the 6 volt starter draws and still have reserve for the ignition..

check a light bulb..it will be written the voltage there...odds are it is still 6...even the 12 volt cars of later years used 6 volt coils (dropping resistor)...so that in itself is not a  true factor for saying 6/12

I removed a taillight bulb and its a 1158 which appears to be a 6 volt. 

So your cable size is good . As mentioned, make sure all of the cable ends are clean and bright . Also a cable can be mostly rotted away inside where you can't see it , from the battery acid . It will swell up some with corrosion but the wire strands will be gone . 

• Like 1

Could my issue be the brushes are worn inside the starter and that is causing it to turn over very slow? This is the oldest and coolest car I have ever owned and can't wait to take it out for a drive. I have read everything I could find on this forum and I'm still puzzled. I will clean all the connections on the solenoid, starter and generator next.

Finally got it running with some help from a neighbor. The battery was hooked up backwards for a positive ground. The distributor was 180° out. After all that it started but idled a little rough. We checked the dwell and it was way off. I shut it off to set the dwell ad the starter wouldn't do anything but spin. I took it back to the place that rebuilt it and a keeper ended up breaking. Now tomorrow when I get home I can finally drive it for the first time.

• 1 month later...

Sorry it's been so long since I've had an update. I installed the starter and drove it probably 30 miles. I filled it up with gas and drove it some more before parking it in the garage. We traveled to Michigan for Christmas and upon returning on the 3rd went out into the garage and it started right up. I noticed some sediment in the glass bowl so I took it off, cleaned it and when I was putting it back on I dropped it and of course it busted. I ordered a new one, installed it yesterday and now the car will not run for more than about five minutes.

it would well be that the sediments you had in the bowl are also about the tank internal filter...disconnect the line at the pump and blow back into the trunk and see if this will improve the running time...if so, you may need to drop the tank for a flushing..this test will only cost you a few minutes of your time

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

• 2 weeks later...

Still scratching my head. I cleaned the tank, checked the flow from pump to carb and all is good and clean. I replaced the plugs it seems the choke was out of adjustment and caused me to foul out the plugs. It was severely flooded so I turned it over without the plugs and let it set for 24 hours. It acted like it was going to start and nothing.