A deadline has been set, the race is on! '53 Cranbrook

rolnthunder

• 10 months later...

So its been quite a while since I've been on here. No, the car didnt make the wedding but Jesse finished grad school and got a job and we now have the extra funds to get back to work. I would really like to be driving it by our anniversary and its looking like that isnt going to be too hard of a goal to reach. Over the past month I have been wiring and finishing up a few odds and ends to get it moving under its own power. I still have a few parts that should be coming in within a week or two and i can take it for its first drive in almost 40 years.

20160402_171406.jpeg

This is a short clip of it idling. I couldnt figure out how to embed the video in the post so this will have to do for now. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/7bakefA4LxE

On first startup I had quite a few friends on hand, and we had some trouble. At first I had a the fuel backwards, the feed line going in the return side of the fuel rail so no fuel was making it to the injectors. Once fixed it fired right up, after that nothing. A friend of a friend stopped by to help out and brought a ecm that is known to be good and as it turns out I have a bad ecm. Ill have a working ecm in a week or so but for now I have a loaner.  

Hopefully yall didnt give up on me and think I was done with the car. but Im back on track and plan on making it to a few cruse ins in my area this year. 

Edited by rolnthunder

• 10 months later...

After another long hiatus, Im back at it. No new pictures at the moment but this is what is going on.

I took the car out a few times last spring and early summer to the local cruse in and the occasional Sunday drive. I discovered that the kingpins were badly worn and the front suspension needed an overhaul.  That was basically the end of it until I could get the coin to buy up all the parts. As of today I have ordered all the needed items and a few have already arrived (Ive had some for months just laying there calling to me every time I walked into the garage). Today I dropped off the spindles at the machine shop to have the new bushings installed and honed. Tomorrow I will be finishing up the last bit of cleaning and painting of all the parts Im keeping.  I went ahead and ordered the jeep swap bar, and the F1 shock mounts so by the time everything is assembled it should handle like a completely different car. All that is left to buy at the moment is shocks and tires all the way around.  :)

I lied about pictures. We did the CLR wash with 1500 grit scotch brite pads.

img_20160430_190648.jpg

First ride with my Dad and Uncle who learned to drive in this car. 

img_20160507_170958.jpg

And one i think is pretty cool.

img_20160605_122227.jpg

Edited by rolnthunder
Fixing image urls
  • Like 2