New Flash: AoK announces new Dual Carb intake will be a reality !

timkingsbury

Howdy Folks -

As discussed on the forum under various topics, my father Eddy Kingsbury, George Asche, his boys Rob and George III along with myself and a buddy developed a triple carb intake for the Canadian 25 1/2" big block flatheads.

We used the 50's triple that Eddy Edmunds produced and dramatically improved the flow of the intake as well as made a number of changes to the design to dramatically improve the performance (torque and RPM) over other multiple carb intakes.

We did not develop that intake for commercial purposes, but for use on our rear engine dragster and a couple of personal projects.

I put the setup on my 1949 Plymouth business coupe (sporting a modified 265 ci motor) and am currently getting ready to put it on a 1956 Fargo pickup.

If you want to see it in action on my car or the dragster I have uploaded a view video's on youtube.

https://www.youtube....7YNWI2Rnnvn8rig

I had mentioned in my post under the tatterfield intake thread that we have thought about doing a dual carb intake for the USA built 23 1/2" block engines.. aka all your P15/D24 cars.

Well the feedback over the past week has been absolutely unexpected. Heck we have already had 2 guys wanting to send checks

Today we have decided to proceed with the project!

So there will be an AoK Dual Carb intake for the USA 23 1/2" flathead 6 cylinder mopars !

We basically already have all the research and the majority of testing done when we created our triple for the big block. We have had a number of car guys who are unhappy with the performance of the offy's (lots of rev but looses torque over stock) or other intakes and who are seeing huge prices for vintage Edmunds intakes, ask us to consider making a dual carb setup.

We also know with lots of our triples out there to confirm our triple is outperforming the super rare Edmunds triple, that we are confident a dual carb setup would outperform any similar intake ever produced.

Our big advantage is not only is there better flow and other testing instrumentation available to us today, but foam core casting just allows for a product that could not have been made in the 40's-60's, when all of the dual carb intakes were designed.

We have spent several hours with our machinist / intake genius, who takes our designs and turns them into reality.

He will start the core development Monday !

Things we still have to finalized

------------------------------------------

1) Whether we put a water tube integrated in the intake as Edmunds did with 2 of his versions.

Note: we know it is not required, there is no measurable performance increase and the carbs don’t ice without it. But the customers are always right on what they want and a number of guys have asked for them. It required another core mold, and will require us or the customer to prep and tap both sides to it can be plumbed.

2) Whether we put the tabs or a large tab on the outside of the tube so that it can be used for trucks and older mopars. The tabs are drilled and tapped to mount linkage. (I’ve attached a picture of a factory truck intake.)

3) Whether we put the linkage tabs (like Eddy Edmunds did) on the inside (block side) of the intake or the outside of the carbs. Edmunds started off with none, then went to the inside and the last ones were all on the outside. None of the other intakes even have them.

The easy answer would be do what all the ones being produced now do which is don’t do anything, but heck the Kingsbury and Asche's never do the easy angle if it is just to avoid work  or time to produce a better product !

4) Finally, what the name will be beside "AoK" lol... I know falls into the minor category.

Right now it is looking like an AoK dual carb intake, machined, with the truck linkage tab(s) are likely going to

retail for $400-$425. If we drop the water tube and truck and older car linkage tabs we are likely $25 cheaper than

that.

We will, as several suggested serialize each intake

Thanks again for everyone who has sent notes, called us and provided input on the project

Tim Kingsbury  and George Asche

AoK  Racing and Asche Mechanical Distributors

post-5630-0-38840800-1417315147_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-21425900-1417315157_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-11333300-1417315177_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-23733900-1417315199_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I love good news this is great news! I wish you the best of luck on this endeavor!

thanks..  we appreciate it.  its a little humbling to see the reaction we have had in the last week and since I posted we were moving forward I have had 10 emails already today.  wow..    Plus a couple of guys wanting us to make triple carb intakes for the small block and dual carb intakes for the big block like our AoK triple.

Right now I think we will just tackle the dual carb for the small block, but if 1/2 the guys who say they are really interested come through we will be fine.

Tim

I definately need one for my 1950 plymouth.  I have built up a 230 for it.  Will you have linkage available for this intake for carter ball and ball carbs ?

If so how much money ?  When  do you think they will be available? Im new to the forum. A buddy of mine just called me this morning to tell me about the

new intake.  I was definately blown away with your video postings. I paused the video and had a good look at the setup on your car. That is incredible. Where did you get that dual pulley I see on the water pump ? Where did you get that polished alternator ? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I looked around that engine compartment on the video and I think I hurt my jaw as it hit the floor. Last question, what is the stuff that looks like wiring going to one of the carbs ?

Thanks for your time. I have tried an offy and it was not successful. I lost all the torque in my engine. Ive been trying to find a edmunds for some times, but to find the edmunds I want they are out of reach. On your list, I dont need the water jacket. I dont need the truck tabs although I think that would be a good idea. Where the linkage tabs are, heck you tell me. You guys know more than I do so whatever you have that works works for me. I like the serial number idea and any name will be cool.

Maybe AoK flatheads forever.  Yes I was listening to you video.

Thanks for making my day, week and year

I definately need one for my 1950 plymouth.  I have built up a 230 for it.  Will you have linkage available for this intake for carter ball and ball carbs ?

If so how much money ?  When  do you think they will be available? Im new to the forum. A buddy of mine just called me this morning to tell me about the

new intake.  I was definately blown away with your video postings. I paused the video and had a good look at the setup on your car. That is incredible. Where did you get that dual pulley I see on the water pump ? Where did you get that polished alternator ? Sorry for all the dumb questions but I looked around that engine compartment on the video and I think I hurt my jaw as it hit the floor. Last question, what is the stuff that looks like wiring going to one of the carbs ?

Thanks for your time. I have tried an offy and it was not successful. I lost all the torque in my engine. Ive been trying to find a edmunds for some times, but to find the edmunds I want they are out of reach. On your list, I dont need the water jacket. I dont need the truck tabs although I think that would be a good idea. Where the linkage tabs are, heck you tell me. You guys know more than I do so whatever you have that works works for me. I like the serial number idea and any name will be cool.

yes as I mentioned on the truck forum, there will definately be linkage available for the intake. My best guess $125-$140.

When -  well...   I will say early in the new year.  I am hoping we have the core (center) mockup in the next couple of weeks.  I will attach a picture of the core (in yellow) beside an edmunds triple intake.  The a prototype by christmas.  The triple took 22 weeks of work.  Were hoping to cut that down to about 6-8 given we have so much of the research and work done from the AoK triple.

I will try and keep the forum posted if there is interest !

The dual pulley, you can check out my previous posts for those.  I made them so I could run a second belt for A/C.  You could use it for power steering or whatever.    We can provide them for you or anyone.  They were not cheap, but the cost of the slabs of the Aircraft grade Gear Alunimum was the key to the price. 

The alternator my partner in crime's boys (Rob and George III) were so kind to do that one up for me. Rob and George III or as I call him G3 are often referred as my brothers from a different mother,  took over George's business's  - Asche Mechanic  and Asche Mechanical distributors and they rebuild starters, generators, alternator and all kinds of similar stuff.  So you could like call

during business hours and say -  hey can you build me an alternator like I saw on your brothers Tim Kingsbury's 1949 plymouth business coupe.   I am sure after they stop giggling they can set you up with that or something mopar related if your switching to 12 volts.

The "wiring to the  carb"  is the ignitor for the rocket fuel...  tee hee..  ok I am just yanking your chain.  That is the wiring to the kick down switch that is on the carb, that is connected through to the overdrive unit I have in the car.  It is a 1952-56  overdrive unit which of course my buddy George Asche,the the king of mopar overdrive rebuilders did this one for me.

AoK  flatheads forever..that is a good suggestion.    That is up there with the suggestion I made at the start, which in my case was just for fun.  It was -  "The surgeon general didnt say anything about smoking a Chevy"

But your suggestion is actually one to toss into the mix of good ideas.  Thanks for that.

Tim

post-5630-0-74648200-1417400810_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-17021500-1417400863_thumb.jpg

Here is the link to the thread where the dual belt pulleys were discussed. If you need some drop me a note .

http://p15-d24.com/topic/34880-new-to-forum-1949-plymouth-business-coupe/page-6

yes as I mentioned on the truck forum, there will definately be linkage available for the intake. My best guess $125-$140.

When -  well...   I will say early in the new year.  I am hoping we have the core (center) mockup in the next couple of weeks.  I will attach a picture of the core (in yellow) beside an edmunds triple intake.  The a prototype by christmas.  The triple took 22 weeks of work.  Were hoping to cut that down to about 6-8 given we have so much of the research and work done from the AoK triple.

I will try and keep the forum posted if there is interest !

The dual pulley, you can check out my previous posts for those.  I made them so I could run a second belt for A/C.  You could use it for power steering or whatever.    We can provide them for you or anyone.  They were not cheap, but the cost of the slabs of the Aircraft grade Gear Alunimum was the key to the price. 

The alternator my partner in crime's boys (Rob and George III) were so kind to do that one up for me. Rob and George III or as I call him G3 are often referred as my brothers from a different mother,  took over George's business's  - Asche Mechanic  and Asche Mechanical distributors and they rebuild starters, generators, alternator and all kinds of similar stuff.  So you could like call

during business hours and say -  hey can you build me an alternator like I saw on your brothers Tim Kingsbury's 1949 plymouth business coupe.   I am sure after they stop giggling they can set you up with that or something mopar related if your switching to 12 volts.

The "wiring to the  carb"  is the ignitor for the rocket fuel...  tee hee..  ok I am just yanking your chain.  That is the wiring to the kick down switch that is on the carb, that is connected through to the overdrive unit I have in the car.  It is a 1952-56  overdrive unit which of course my buddy George Asche,the the king of mopar overdrive rebuilders did this one for me.

AoK  flatheads forever..that is a good suggestion.    That is up there with the suggestion I made at the start, which in my case was just for fun.  It was -  "The surgeon general didnt say anything about smoking a Chevy"

But your suggestion is actually one to toss into the mix of good ideas.  Thanks for that.

Tim

Thanks Tim -

Thanks to Don Coatney I have just figured out how to send a message through the forum so I am learning.  Where are you guys located and do you have a phone number I can contact you guys ?

I am definately interested in getting an intake and linkage.  I will send payment tomorrow to get in the front of the line if you can give me a total.  I have a few carbs so I am look to see if I have a matched pair here, since I have a freshly rebuilt one on the car now.   If you guys are within driving range  and if you guys will install it for me that would be ideal.  Obviously I would pay you guys for the work.

I am sorry if I have missed it, but do you guys sell split exhaust manifolds or headers as well ?  Ive seen the fenton headers before. They seem to be a lot heavier than stock and they are definately expensive.The last pair I saw was $800

Overdrive - wow.. wow.. wow..  I am definately interested.

Is there any prize if we pick the name you use ?

I definately love the surgeon general quote.  I think I need that on a tshirt or a bumper sticker. That is a classic

Here is the link to the thread where the dual belt pulleys were discussed. If you need some drop me a note .

http://p15-d24.com/topic/34880-new-to-forum-1949-plymouth-business-coupe/page-6

Thanks Tim -

Ive been looking for performance stuff and a way to run power steering for years.  In 1 day I have learned more than in the last 30 years of playing with flathead plymouths.  Where have you guys been hiding all my life ?   Sounds like a pickup line for a girl I know.

Let me know your number.   I have read you post you think that is expensive but I paid more than that for a blower pulley for my barracuda so while I understand what you mean, for $250 for a pair, I definately need a pair. That is the missing piece to allow my to put power steering on the car. I have everything else figured out.

I dont need airconditioning  but I have thought about running both 6 volts and 12 volts in my car.  Likely one of those dumb ideas. Id like to have 12 volts for lights, and a stereo and a few other things,  but for instraments and coil etc I would like to keep the 6 volts.  I know you can get resistor setups to drop 12 volts to 6 volts, but I have also seen them fail, so as dumb as it may sound I would like to run both.  But to pull that off and power steering I definately need the second belt.

Thanks for making my day !

Thanks Tim -

Thanks to Don Coatney I have just figured out how to send a message through the forum so I am learning.  Where are you guys located and do you have a phone number I can contact you guys ?

I am definately interested in getting an intake and linkage.  I will send payment tomorrow to get in the front of the line if you can give me a total.  I have a few carbs so I am look to see if I have a matched pair here, since I have a freshly rebuilt one on the car now.   If you guys are within driving range  and if you guys will install it for me that would be ideal.  Obviously I would pay you guys for the work.

I am sorry if I have missed it, but do you guys sell split exhaust manifolds or headers as well ?  Ive seen the fenton headers before. They seem to be a lot heavier than stock and they are definately expensive.The last pair I saw was $800

Overdrive - wow.. wow.. wow..  I am definately interested.

Is there any prize if we pick the name you use ?

I definately love the surgeon general quote.  I think I need that on a tshirt or a bumper sticker. That is a classic

Well we wont be able to ship until early 2015 and may be closer to spring. So I would say wait for now.  But if I had to give you a total right now.. I would say pre-production price   $540 for the intake and linkage for a car,  with shipping on top of that.

On exhaust, we can split your stock exhaust or take your stock exhaust and turn it into headers.  $175 with you supplying the stock intake.  Here are a couple of pictures of my 1949 plymouth.George took mine and made them into headers. Now my car

is a 265 ci big block, but it is the same effect from an exhaust standpoint.  Oh and it is lighter than the stock intakes and definately not heavier.

Overdrive..  best bet is to find a 1952-56 plymouth 3 speed overdrive and send it to us to rebuild.  Right now I think George has

4 or 5 guys on a waiting list as we cant find rebuildable core in number large enough to meet demand.

On the bumper sticker.. I had them made and have it on the back of George;s and my motorhome.  I think I have seen

a guy in ebay since,selling both tshirts and  bumper stickers.  It isnt us, but its all good !

Tim

post-5630-0-16396100-1417414631_thumb.jpg

post-5630-0-40534000-1417414652_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tim -

Ive been looking for performance stuff and a way to run power steering for years.  In 1 day I have learned more than in the last 30 years of playing with flathead plymouths.  Where have you guys been hiding all my life ?   Sounds like a pickup line for a girl I know.

Let me know your number.   I have read you post you think that is expensive but I paid more than that for a blower pulley for my barracuda so while I understand what you mean, for $250 for a pair, I definately need a pair. That is the missing piece to allow my to put power steering on the car. I have everything else figured out.

I dont need airconditioning  but I have thought about running both 6 volts and 12 volts in my car.  Likely one of those dumb ideas. Id like to have 12 volts for lights, and a stereo and a few other things,  but for instraments and coil etc I would like to keep the 6 volts.  I know you can get resistor setups to drop 12 volts to 6 volts, but I have also seen them fail, so as dumb as it may sound I would like to run both.  But to pull that off and power steering I definately need the second belt.

Thanks for making my day !

No problem and if you can George he can explain everything you need to know or come on by to have a look as on his 1929 desoto he runs both 6volt and 12volt systems.

George is located in Fertigs, PA  and the shop number (where Asche Mechanic  run by Rob and George III) is 814-354-2621 and

after work hours George can pick up that number in his house.  Or you call the boys, they tell you to call back and they wont answer and the next time George will pick up. That is if he isnt over at the shop.  He also has a full shop in his basement.

Me,  I am located in Campbelllville Ontario canada.  My family arrived here in 1795 and I live on the original property, albiet am in a new house.. lol.. built in 1862 so while I am the 7th generation to live in the property I am only the 5th generation to live in this house.

My cell number is 519-766-5695 and house number is 519-856-4576.  I am basically 3 1/2 hours from my doors to Georges.

Tim

Wow,Tim,Wow.

I have been looking for flathead performance stuff for decades and really have given up.  I have an edmunds triple on a car and an edmunds dual on another car but have not seen them for years.When I see your triple carb intake with the nice long sweeping curve beside the edmunds I sat and wondered why edmunds didnt do that.

I actually went out and looked at my car as I didnt realize it was as square as it was. Dont need dual pulleys for power steering, but wow would I like to have a couple of sets for other things. What else do you guys have in the performance end of the L-heads ?    How limited a quantity are you making? Do I need to get in money to make sure I get an intake or will there be a good supply. I have a couple of projects I would like one,but I see more things I would like than budget.  I definately need an intake for a powerwagon my grand son and I are doing.   I should also talk to you guys about carter carbs. There are lots of them around my area. Well I shouldnt just say that as I have stopped gathering them up.  I likely have between 30 and 50 of them around here.  But we had a lot of plymouths around here and were the places I hunt have not been chopped up and sent to china as much as a lot of the country.

Is there a forum here on scrap yards ?   A friend of mine called me last night and read me your post so when I had some time today I tracked down the website. I will have to drive around the site a lot more I guess.

When is best to call you guys ?

Wow,Tim,Wow.

I have been looking for flathead performance stuff for decades and really have given up.  I have an edmunds triple on a car and an edmunds dual on another car but have not seen them for years.When I see your triple carb intake with the nice long sweeping curve beside the edmunds I sat and wondered why edmunds didnt do that.

I actually went out and looked at my car as I didnt realize it was as square as it was. Dont need dual pulleys for power steering, but wow would I like to have a couple of sets for other things. What else do you guys have in the performance end of the L-heads ?    How limited a quantity are you making? Do I need to get in money to make sure I get an intake or will there be a good supply. I have a couple of projects I would like one,but I see more things I would like than budget.  I definately need an intake for a powerwagon my grand son and I are doing.   I should also talk to you guys about carter carbs. There are lots of them around my area. Well I shouldnt just say that as I have stopped gathering them up.  I likely have between 30 and 50 of them around here.  But we had a lot of plymouths around here and were the places I hunt have not been chopped up and sent to china as much as a lot of the country.

Is there a forum here on scrap yards ?   A friend of mine called me last night and read me your post so when I had some time today I tracked down the website. I will have to drive around the site a lot more I guess.

When is best to call you guys ?

It might be easier to ask what do you want ?   I am very sure we will have lots of intakes for anyone who wants one this spring. Dont wait 5 years and ask,  but if we have your name and number we will call you when they are ready and make sure you get what you need.  Sounds like I best try and solicit  you to find some carbs for us.  I best leave the scrap yard question for others who have been all over the forum.

This evening definately works.  I did get your message on my cell so I will give you a call around 7pm tonight if that works. If not I will leave a message.

Thanks for your interest and I think we are leaning pretty heavy on having the intake have the ability for the truck people to mount the linkage to the intake.

It will need to be located along the runner or log which is like the original intake, however the log is quite a bit higher than stock, but from what we can "mock up" it

should be ok. 

But would love some feedback from you on your powerwagon or guys with trucks that may be interested.

Tim