Assembling a t5 Tranny to the stock bell housing

19vette82

I am getting ready to drill and tap the new holes in the bell housing to accept the tranny.  Was wondering if anyone knows the proper drill and tap size to drill the new holes to? Thanks for any help.   

If it were me I would measure the inside diameter of the pilot hole in the transmission and find bolts that fit that hole. I would also look for bolts that had a shoulder the same length as the depth of the flange on the transmission. After I did this measuring I found grade 8 socket head cap screws that measured up to the requirements.

Side_View.jpg

Right_Lower.jpg

In_the_car.jpg

I believe I did mine the same as Don. Started with a bolt that was a good fit for the hole in the trans and that determined what size to use. The hardware stores around here have matched sets of taps and drills so you have the proper sized hole.

I used the original T5 bolts that held the transmission to the S10, they worked perfect and were exactly what the T5 needed, and fit fine into the dodge bell housing, if you still have that option. Anything under 7/16 would not be advised, and 1/2" is definitely better, but you do have to weld up an original hole and drill through that to get the proper fit

Can't recall, been too long, and I have bits and taps for each, and don't recall buying anything special for the job. I just know they worked well and weren't anything special to install. Just be mindful welding cast, its not hard to fill the hole, but don't go crazy