Savoy Suburban Project

pflaming

Some background. Last winter I was doing body work on a 54 suburban when my garage burned. Cleaning that up and satin meds got to my legs so things really slowed down for me this fall.

I have two suburbans. This 53 I bought for $350 for the rear tail gate and bumpers for the 54. Now that I back, the 53 is a better project so I have swapped the 54 for parts and some body work on this car. So this winter two projects; finish repairs on the damaged truck and work on this car. 

Dog house is off and I learned how to hot wire a solenoid starter.  I motored this engine and it appears the valves may be stuck on four cylinders. So....pull the engine then the head and . . .

To be continued  

53Suburban002_zps2f90e889.jpg

53Suburban001_zps4f871002.jpg

Edited by pflaming
  • Like 1

Is this the one that was cleaned on the undersides last year at your friends shop or was that the other one?

Best of luck with that motor!

DJ

• 6 months later...

Back to the '53 this fall. I just bought a '54 which has an OD tryanny engine et all and everything else from the engine back. It was in an accident, back when, so the front frame is toast.  It is a Belvedere so it has all that glitz as well. Paid $800 for it, didn't want to go that high but I want that engine, tryanny, overdrive combo. So. . . .

We leave on Wednesday the 10th for the East coast, take 20 days to get there, stay a month then return via Mackinac Island, Winnipeg, Yellowstone, and Reno.  Estimated return home August 14.   Wish us safe driving.

• Like 1

Mackinac Island - neat place.  Leave your car on shore.  The horses will get you around.

Last year our kids sent us to Mackinac Island for our 50th wedding anniversary.  I send them all a full report, in my best book report English:  "We rode on a boat twice.  We rode on a wagon pulled by horses.  We walked all around.  We bought fudge.  We had fun."

"Did you hear the bells ring when the boats tooted (their) horns?" 

Gee, Don, that doesn't seem to ring a bell.  We remember that the boats sounded their horns at each other as they passed, and the people in the boats waved at each other.  It was fun.  (Probably pure monotony for the staff, back and forth, all summer long, but put on a happy face.) 

"Did you hear the bells ring when the boats tooted (their) horns?" 

Gee, Don, that doesn't seem to ring a bell.  We remember that the boats sounded their horns at each other as they passed, and the people in the boats waved at each other.  It was fun.  (Probably pure monotony for the staff, back and forth, all summer long, but put on a happy face.) 

You best return as the church and other bells ring when the boats toot.

Went to take a new look at the suburban. Engine # P 28 . . . . So a 230 which I can use. Already connected to an over drive even better. Rear bumper is a "9" for sure. Everything from the dash back is there, all gauges, knobs, name plates, but no radio and not a Belevedere, rear gates rust free, so many parts I can use.

Went to take a new look at the suburban. Engine # P 28 . . . . So a 230 which I can use. Already connected to an over drive even better. Rear bumper is a "9" for sure. Everything from the dash back is there, all gauges, knobs, name plates, but no radio and not a Belevedere, rear gates rust free, so many parts I can use.

so the rear gear has been changed over to a ford unit?