P15 Racing at Pendine Sands, England.

victoredaye

The convertible models must rather heavy compared to the coupes. Clearly not the fastest of the P15s.

I've never driven one myself, but the first time I drove a P15 4-dr sedan, I could really tell the difference in weight.

One of my goals is to lighten my P15 somewhat, because it makes lots more sense than hopping up the engine past a certain point.

Edited by Ulu

It was such a fantastic weekend.

Our top speeds were:

235  Dean   1948 2-Door Sedan  77.96mph

87    Robin  1947 Convertible      77.58mph

232  Chris   1946 Convertible      74.40mph

Our Plymouths performed very well against the other full-bodied cars.

All three of us beat 4 out of 6 flathead V8 powered Fords, and Dean and Robin beat all three OHV Chevy sixes.

We'll be back on the sand on 4th & 5th July next year, to do it all again.

PS  Just to clarify... Pendine Sands is in South Wales

post-25-0-30422000-1416907904_thumb.jpg

The convertible models must rather heavy compared to the coupes. Clearly not the fastest of the P15s.

I've never driven one myself, but the first time I drove a P15 4-dr sedan, I could really tell the difference in weight.

One of my goals it to lighten my P15 somewhat, because it makes lots more sense than hopping up the engine past a certain point.

Sorry for the off topic. But what do you have in mind for that?

Elvis

So boys, looks like Pendine should be the target for getting mine on the road and ready, what do you reckon, room for a 49 Dodge alongside those Plymouths?

That would nearly make it a set, '46 '47 '48 '49 :D

Cheers,

Paul (Kent, England)

Sorry for the off topic. But what do you have in mind for that?

Elvis

I'll post some details later, but so far I've stripped off 50 lbs of dirt and bondo. I'll probably ditch the stock bumpers.

Yes, it's a half mile run up to a flying 1/16th mile (110 yds).
The problem is that there's a notorious patch of wet sand, known as 'The Porridge', and it's critical that nobody hits that at speed.

So the original plan for a longer run had to be revised in order to accommodate the public parking, pits, track, timing trap and run-off.

Robin, me too....whats the soundtrack?.........and another place to visit when I win lotto.........ticket?...........whats this about buying a ticket?.........lol................great video, thanks andyd

Simon, Paul...
I hope you both make it to Pendine. The more the merrier.

Simon - get yours hopped up and join us on the sand. It'd be great to see another P15 taking part.

Race Passes are only available to VHRA members so, sadly, your '49 won't make the cut, Paul.

membership spec here...

http://www.vhra.co.uk/VHRA/Join.html

Edited by Robin (UK)

I'll probably never make it to Pendine, but Bonneville is just 12 hours by car from here. Maybe this year I'll get back out there.

I haven't seen the salt flats since the 70's.

Ulu, on 29 Nov 2014 - 6:46 PM, said:

I'll probably never make it to Pendine, but Bonneville is just 12 hours by car from here. Maybe this year I'll get back out there.

I haven't seen the salt flats since the 70's.

I raced my new BSA 3 cylinder on the salt  in 1969. Met Burt Monro.

• Like 1

Wow!

In '69 was only 14. We had a wooden go-kart with 3 official soap box derby wheels from the garbage and a stolen lawn mower engine.  :rolleyes:

I still have a scar from that machine where it tried to drag me around Duluth with a rusty nail.

Hmmm...Is there a Briggs & Stratton class at Bonneville?   B) 

Wow!

In '69 was only 14. We had a wooden go-kart with 3 official soap box derby wheels from the garbage and a stolen lawn mower engine.  :rolleyes:

I still have a scar from that machine where it tried to drag me around Duluth with a rusty nail.

Hmmm...Is there a Briggs & Stratton class at Bonneville?   B) 

Duluth MN?

Yup. I was 13 when we got there from Phoenix. In February.

I delivered the Duluth Tribune, often with a toboggan. I had the whole Air Force base as my route, and it was the largest in Duluth, or so I was told.

I went to Endion Elementary for about 3 mos, then Woodland Jr, then out to Hermantown High, then on to Lake of the Woods in Baudette.

The USAF moved us around a lot.

Simon, Paul...

I hope you both make it to Pendine. The more the merrier.

Simon - get yours hopped up and join us on the sand. It'd be great to see another P15 taking part.

Race Passes are only available to VHRA members so, sadly, your '49 won't make the cut, Paul.

membership spec here...

http://www.vhra.co.uk/VHRA/Join.html

It'll have to be 2016 to get on the sand, all passes for 2015 are gone!!!!!!!!!!!