Fun with NOS Parts

I was recently able to track down and buy an NOS turn signal switch that I had been looking for.  I realize it is not an original MOPAR part (purists please don't hate me), but it is the one I wanted to install in my truck (eventually).  When it arrived, I was shocked that it was in absolutely pristine condition- just like the day it was made decades and decades before.

I'm including some pictures of the turn signal switch and I can't wait for the day the little green end of the lever is flashing at me.

So, I am wondering if others might like to share photos of an NOS part they have found.  Some of this stuff is just amazing to me.

Paul

post-7134-0-84866300-1416861667_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-44991500-1416861678_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-18934000-1416861688_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-57320600-1416861696_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-17240700-1416861706_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I recently came across a rear gravel guard for a 1939 Desoto. This will fit the Dodge, Chrysler and I also think the 39 Plymouth.

This guard goes between the rear bumper and the body. This is in two section that bolt together in the middle. One of the sections was still in the original factory mopar brown paper and the other half was without the paper cover.

The 39 guard can only be used on 39 Cars.  I wll post a poicture later.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks Brent!

As for turn signal switches, I spent quite a bit of time researching them, and I kept changing my mind what I wanted to purchase.  Was going to go with a self canceling unit, because otherwise I knew I'd leave it on after a turn :)   Plan was going to be to add a separate Signal Stat Sigflare unit for emergency flashers.  The separate Sigflare units are very cool, and almost went that way.

Then I found that the 800 had the flashing bulb at the end of the lever and a built in 4 way flasher section.  That is what sold me on this unit.  The 900 is nice as well, I just liked the unique feature of the light on the lever that comes with the 800 (900 is on the control box).  

My plan is for separate turn signals mounted on the front fender and three lights on the rear of the truck.  One will be just a tail light/license light and the other two will be stop and turn signals.  The 800 will accomodate this wiring.  I'll be using the tail light lens shown below.  Seller said these were NOS also, but I suspect they may not be.  Even so, I'm happy with the appearance.

Paul

post-7134-0-37436200-1416866880_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Paul are the lenses GLASS?  If so I'd lean towards being the real deal.

As for NOS, I've gotten some nice parts since I started this truck stuff, just a few of them:

EARLY B1 rear fender

B3/B4 hood

heater control valve (Y shaped one)

door latch mechanisms

wing window levers

tail light lens

tail light license plate lens

oh and I forgot a complete "Jiffy-Jet" system...

These are the two styles of original equipment Dodge truck turn signal switches...one is the heavy duty style for the big commercial use trucks.

Also shown is my Sig Stat 800 I bought at NAPA around 1973 that I installed in my 1952 dodge PU and it still works fine.

post-302-0-43530200-1416882205_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-06101900-1416882275_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-33491500-1416882719_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-38302400-1416896653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 1

Neat turn signal find there and it should look great.

But I’d call it a “period accessory” or “vintage accessory” rather than “NOS” (new old stock) which used to mean unused factory original parts. Those are different than “NORS” (new old replacement stock) which used to mean unused aftermarket parts equivalent to the factory parts from the time of manufacture.

Seems like languages change and lots of people are calling old unused non-factory accessories “NOS”. But I am getting to be an old curmudgeon and want words and terms to mean what they meant when I was much younger.

• Like 5

Bought an overdrive, sans transmission, that was in its factory crate which had never been opened. All required parts were in there and instructions on how to attach it to a three speed tyranny. All the small parts were in paper bags.

Neat turn signal find there and it should look great.

But I’d call it a “period accessory” or “vintage accessory” rather than “NOS” (new old stock) which used to mean unused factory original parts. Those are different than “NORS” (new old replacement stock) which used to mean unused aftermarket parts equivalent to the factory parts from the time of manufacture.

Seems like languages change and lots of people are calling old unused non-factory accessories “NOS”. But I am getting to be an old curmudgeon and want words and terms to mean what they meant when I was much younger.

I hear ya, There IS a difference.  IMO if it's in the parts manual its NOS.

I don't know if all the glass one's are original. I bought some repops that are glass......and I have seen many at the swap meets here including Long Beach a couple weeks back. It seems like they are one of the easier items to find.

I bought a NOS panel switch and knob on ebay a while back. Costly but the knob was pristine. Nicest one on my dash! Sometimes it is the little things......Boy would I like to come across a NOS Choke knob. :)

Jeff

And,,,,

Sometimes NOS is not perfect.

Attached photos show a hood ornament that I was sold as NOS.  It is darn nice, but not perfect.  Shelf wear can be seen and it is not as shinny as a fresh re-chrome would be.  There is also one pit you can see in the painted area.

I am very happy with the part, don't get me wrong.  My point is only that NOS is not necessarily perfect.

post-7134-0-69177200-1416932907_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-48020400-1416932919_thumb.jpg

post-7134-0-99161600-1416932928_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Paul Hatfield, on 25 Nov 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

And,,,,

Sometimes NOS is not perfect.

Attached photos show a hood ornament that I was sold as NOS.  It is darn nice, but not perfect.  Shelf wear can be seen and it is not as shinny as a fresh re-chrome would be.  There is also one pit you can see in the painted area.

I am very happy with the part, don't get me wrong.  My point is only that NOS is not necessarily perfect.

It looks to me like this may have been a box but my guess that it has seen a lot of road time too. Hard to get a pit in paint while in a box.

It looks to me like this may have been a box but my guess that it has seen a lot of road time too. Hard to get a pit in paint while in a box.

Pits are just corrosion. Improperly stored or even just from age I could see one forming. Also the early 50s potmetal made during the Korean war era is sub-standard and pits more easily.

• Like 1

I don't know if all the glass one's are original. I bought some repops that are glass......and I have seen many at the swap meets here including Long Beach a couple weeks back. It seems like they are one of the easier items to find.

I bought a NOS panel switch and knob on ebay a while back. Costly but the knob was pristine. Nicest one on my dash! Sometimes it is the little things......Boy would I like to come across a NOS Choke knob. :)

Jeff

since FEF is sleeping I can't readily check.  I think the check on the glass parts is the painted DODGE part.  Thickness of the script and paint color.

Nice fog lights Keven!

As for my hood ornament, it is clearly not perfect, but I attribute that to time and shelf wear.  I can see no "road rash" on the very front of the ornament that would normally be seen from "a lot of road time".

Anyway, that is not my main point.  It is that NOS can be fun and beautiful, or it can also have shelf wear, corrosion, and other ailments.

Paul

post-7134-0-24057400-1416941988_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I couldn't find a picture of it but I had a 1941 plymouth pickup NOS hood ornament. I've got many other things floating around. NOS special deluxe badges, 4 bumper guards, and both door handles for my 48. A rear view mirror for the 46 pickup too.