Looking for a new worm gear

austinsailor

This is probably a long shot, but I'm trying to put new parts in the steering box of my S2 1936 Desoto Airflow. I have a new sector but a new worm/shaft seems to not exist.

A little info so you'll know where I'm at. From everything I know, there were 4 basic choices in the worm/sector choices. One worm was either 2 1/4" long (I'm going from memory, might be slightly different) the other is 2 3/4" long. Then there was either right hand or left hand thread. I have a new sector, so I'm not worried about that.

The worm/shaft varied in length and maybe how the threaded end was made, but it's the other end, the worm I'm worried about.

The smaller ones were used in normal dodge/plymouth/Chrysler setups, the larger in 7 passenger and who knows what? Airflows, for one. Most were right hand thread, of course, the Airflow is left hand. If I can locate a larger size left hand one I can either press it off the shaft, or graft my shaft into the new one.

My problem is I have no idea what used the larger worm with a left hand screw.

Most of the boxes have a vertical sector shaft, going down with the pitman arm pointing to the rear. The Airflow has the shaft going out horizonatally, then the pitman arm points down.

I'm guessing, and it's only a guess, that I need to start by figuring out if there is another application where the sector shaft is horizontal. Then find out if any are the bigger worm arrangement.

Anyone know of such an animal?

Edited by austinsailor

Do you have a parts number? That is the place to start. If you have been there and done that, then it is a matter of keeping searching. I believe you mentioned in a different thread that the parts weren't that bad but as you had things apart you thought you might replace them. Maybe what you had will have to do.

I bought some new parts for the front end of my '51 business coupe but decided that the old used ones were actually in better shape and with less play. If I could have found a good MOpar one or an old NORS one by a well know American maker like Thompson or MOOG, I would have used it. The modern ones from NAPA were poor quality Chinese manufacture. I am happy I went and used the only slightly worn old parts in the car. I did replace some but not all. Anything used that I put back will definitely out last me and the miles I will put on the car.

Have you checked with Vintage Auto Parts http://www.vapinc.com ?

In their worm gear section they note "If the one you need is not listed, 1934-60, call us. We have a few loose worm gears. We will need to know the stamped number on the gear itself."

Might get lucky...

I do have a part number, 658612. I have searched extensively with nothing showing up, available or not.

I did plan to use the old one, it didn't look bad except hwsybup atvthe top end, but with everything clean and adjusted correctly I can feel the gears as I turn it. I really hesitate to put the new sector against the old worm. The sector is a 2 year only part and I hate to damage it. It is possibly the last NOS one around.

Have you checked with Vintage Auto Parts http://www.vapinc.com ?

In their worm gear section they note "If the one you need is not listed, 1934-60, call us. We have a few loose worm gears. We will need to know the stamped number on the gear itself."

Might get lucky...

I had looked at their site. I just sent them an enquiry, maybe we can identify one they have with no number.

As a last resort , can a machine shop build up your old part for re-use ? Perhaps too many $$ . I have seen advertisements for shops that rebuild the steering gears , I wonder what they would do in this case ? Here is a name and address that I have saved : Ace Steering ( ace Automotive ) , 801 W. Forsyth St. , Jacksonville , Fl. , 32204 .  904-353-7111    Disclaimer - I have not done business with this company . 

As a last resort , can a machine shop build up your old part for re-use ? Perhaps too many $$ . I have seen advertisements for shops that rebuild the steering gears , I wonder what they would do in this case ? Here is a name and address that I have saved : Ace Steering ( ace Automotive ) , 801 W. Forsyth St. , Jacksonville , Fl. , 32204 .  904-353-7111    Disclaimer - I have not done business with this company . 

Dad had this done for his 40 pickup last winter. He used lares(spelling?).

There was an article in the September 2014 issue of Ol' Skool Rodz about a shop in Chicago that rebuilds the Gemmer steering boxes used in 1940-1956 Mopars using new parts manufactured in India; I'm going to try them out if I ever figure out how to get my steering box out of the car without a lift.  Here's the contact info:

Midwest Remanufacturing LLC

5836 W. 66th St.

Bedford Park, IL  60638

www.mwreman.com

(800) 634-5829

(708) 496-9132  fax

Marty

Looked in my Hollanders tonight. They don't cross internal parts, but they show no listings for the box.

I have had a part welded up and remachined before. Didn't last long, so I'm a bit leary of that method.

It's drivable as it is, just too loose for my taste, and isn't what it should and can be, so I'll keep looking.

If anyone notices a Mopar of the 30's or 40's with the sector shaft sticking out horizontally, please let me know what it is. I'll try to figure out if I can use it.

. . . If anyone notices a Mopar of the 30's or 40's with the sector shaft sticking out horizontally, please let me know what it is. I'll try to figure out if I can use it.

Been a while since I looked under the fellow's car but I recall the '37 Plymouth has the sector shaft coming out through the side of the frame.

Looked in my Hollanders tonight. They don't cross internal parts, but they show no listings for the box.

I have had a part welded up and remachined before. Didn't last long, so I'm a bit leary of that method.

It's drivable as it is, just too loose for my taste, and isn't what it should and can be, so I'll keep looking.

If anyone notices a Mopar of the 30's or 40's with the sector shaft sticking out horizontally, please let me know what it is. I'll try to figure out if I can use it.

The place my Dad used has lifetime guarantee....

If Jay Leno could only see your wonderful collection of old mechanical stuff , I am sure he would become a ' best bud ' and offer the use of his magical part duplication machine . :)

If you're talking about me, he'd probably say about the same as my wife - "Are you ever going to do anything with all that junk"!

I've been to a couple places Jay has visited. They are impressive. Mine is not.

Edited by austinsailor

Been a while since I looked under the fellow's car but I recall the '37 Plymouth has the sector shaft coming out through the side of the frame.

If anyone knows what this NOS steering worm gear is for....................any info would be greatly appreciated.

there is a short splined shaft and the original paper protective covering is still attached.

It is a mystery as to what style of steering box used this short stubby worm gear??

Limo? Airflow? Airstream? 7 passenger?

post-153-0-23428000-1417136472_thumb.jpg

Can't tell with the cardboard protector on the end but possibly 1951-54 MoPar (Gemmer) power steering gear box. They use a  fine splined stubby shaft.

I take it back...looked it up way different.

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

I'm with Young Ed. 

Give Lares Corporation a call.   www.larescorp.com

Not that it matters but, I bought my first engine from his dad (in 1968) Whitey, He had it on a stand and running for $35.  That was a 53 flathead that I'm currently replacing.

Edited by 48ply1stcar

• 3 years later...

Hello,

For what its worth when I rebuilt my 48 Plymouth steering box. I happen to have a 48-49 Ford shaft that I was using as a pry bar and the worm gear matched my Plymouth worm gear, I then found out that Ford still had the shaft in there inventory for a 49 Ford pickups. So I went to Ford and bought a new worm & shaft for a 49 Ford pickup and had the gear pressed off the Ford shaft and pressed on my 48 Plymouth shaft. I then cleaned the worm & sector, used emery cloth to clean the gear surface as best as I could, put in new gaskets and it is still works great 30 yrs later.

I believe you can get repo gears thru "Bob Drakes Ford Parts" and "Dennis Carpenter Ford Parts"

I hope this info helps!