Help

rey.collazo

Mopars use a tapered axle that the brake drum/hub is held onto via the large centre nut........ you need a LARGE brake drum puller to remove the brake drum then undo the 5 nuts holding the rear outer seal/bearing and the rear axle should come off.............btw do you have a workshop manual?.................welcome to the best mopar forum......andyd

I have done al that still the hub will not come out, broke two puller, I digure to take out the comple axle and take them to a shop but it will no come out, The service manual shows the pion coming out but I can't figure how,

until you get the hubs off..and gain access to the backing plate/bearing retainer bolts...and slide out the individual axles..hog head will not be removed from the housing...you CANNOT remove the pinion except to extract it from the housing after the carrier is removed from the housing...unfortunately the book does not go much into detail here.. even the brake section does not have much to go on....it may be time for you to invest into a modern axle upgrade..the mere fact that better ratios are available is more than enough for me to upgrade let alone moving beyond the old rigid non floating brakes of antiquity..while the brakes did evolve to floating the hub/drum taper axle concept continued with Mopar through the 65 car model year...Salibury and Dana taper axles were still popular though the 70's and maybe even later...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

The trick is to get the puller on there pretty tight, then smack the big center bolt head with a MINIMUM 2 lb hammer.  a 4 lb is better, but I've used an 8lb as well.

If a few good wacks won't loosen it then, heat the hub with a torch & hit it again.

Edited by Ulu