Converting to Rack and Pinion Power Steering

NiftyFifty

Built my new alternator bracket yesterday to lower it a bit, and today built the new power steering pump bracket and lower brace, also had to break down and get the machine shop to build my tie Rod adapters, if they were just a bit shorter I could drill them, but being I don't have long enough drill bits, drilling from opposite ends did not go well...even a few thou out made them very ugly, so I got them done on the lathe to be sure. More pics maybe Sunday

post-3231-0-78220000-1422329842_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is a picture of the new brackets, I still need some finish work and a little shaving on the pump bracket to level it out, but fits pretty nicely. I'm a little concerned on the amount of belt grabbing the water pump, but until I get a belt and not a rope on it I can't say 100%

post-3231-0-61998000-1422565886_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-85241800-1422565921_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well happy to report today that I got the truck all re-wired and running again and tried the PS for the first time with the new rack in place. I had a little accident with some over tightening on the original rack, so that cost me another trip to Rockauto site, and then my carb float was stuck so it was just pouring fuel into the engine, so I never ran it up again until today. I didn't have the steering wheel on yet, because I still have to paint the new steering column, but with one hand and no wheel, I can now turn the wheels from lock to lock while sitting...wow I love power steering LOL hopefully by June I can actually try driving the truck out of the shop...maybe sooner if it would warm up enough again to paint. Hopefully my headliner can go in tomorrow and carpet after that!

Added the last pics I took about a month or more ago...lots of cleanup and changes even since these

post-3231-0-66394500-1431575871_thumb.jpg

post-3231-0-26549400-1431575906_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4mula-dlx

• 4 years later...

Do you have any pics of the ps pump from the front angle showing belt routing and pulley setup?  I plan PS also, but using a Toyota PU box in the stock location and a matching pump with remote res...  Would also like to work in an AC compressor at some point.  I'm using a 56 core engine so have bolt on pulley with the narrow belt sheave on the crank.  that pulley has the same bolt pattern as later v8s so I'm hoping to find a 2 or 3 groove bolt on solution the that part.

And the AC compressor planned is a tiny unit off of a Tracker, so maybe there'll be room for everything.

1 hour ago, kencombs said:

Do you have any pics of the ps pump from the front angle showing belt routing and pulley setup?  I plan PS also, but using a Toyota PU box in the stock location and a matching pump with remote res...  Would also like to work in an AC compressor at some point.  I'm using a 56 core engine so have bolt on pulley with the narrow belt sheave on the crank.  that pulley has the same bolt pattern as later v8s so I'm hoping to find a 2 or 3 groove bolt on solution the that part.

And the AC compressor planned is a tiny unit off of a Tracker, so maybe there'll be room for everything.

Here is about the best I can do, just remember everything you add is a parasitic draw on the engine, so if your running a stock 218 your going to eat up a couple ponies to drive accessories 

3CB7074D-E02F-41CB-A895-4F7091C743F8.jpeg

Thanks for the pic.  Yes, I'm very aware of the HP needs.  I'll be running a 56 230(better head) with some milling done, electric instead of mechanical fan,  dual carbs and exhaust.  Maybe Cam to if I can get on reground for less than an arm and a leg. 

The AC will be a home brew with a cycling clutch control.  that will allow me to use a 'full throttle' switch to disconnect AC under high demand situations.  did that on my old 250HP 273/4sp after blowing up a couple of York piston compressors when using 3rd as a passing gear at highway speeds.

Totally different question:  anyone look at doing a serpintine belt system?  Just wondering what pulleys could be adapted.  the PS pump and alternator are easy.  finding a crank pulley and adapting a water pump pulley would be the biggest issue I think.  But, they are efficient and save in overall length.  Looking at you pic, and imagining the AC compressor were the alternator is and the alternator between the compressor ad PS pump could work.  belt around the outside of the AC, inside to an idle below the water pump and back to the alternator may be doable.

Edited by kencombs

• 1 year later...

have a 57 chevy pick up, straight axel..have power rack an pinion mounted to the axel and have no 'issues" at ALL..NO LIMIT Quality Hot Rod Parts  (909-386-7637)  makes a "kit" that provides well engineered mounts that do not weld or drill to axel, slip joint to column, extended rod on passenger side..Give them a call

3 hours ago, PurpleHse said:

have a 57 chevy pick up, straight axel..have power rack an pinion mounted to the axel and have no 'issues" at ALL..NO LIMIT Quality Hot Rod Parts  (909-386-7637)  makes a "kit" that provides well engineered mounts that do not weld or drill to axel, slip joint to column, extended rod on passenger side..Give them a call

Then they must just clamp on, and they aren’t made for a Dodge axle....seems more like an advertisement then a post

16 hours ago, NiftyFifty said:

Then they must just clamp on, and they aren’t made for a Dodge axle....seems more like an advertisement then a post

yes, clamp on via billet aluminum clamps. bolt on adapter for tie rod ends..told they can make for dodge but would be $$$

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 12:55 PM, John U said:

I have a GM rack on my 51 B3C for well over 15 years it works fine I have the pressure turned down so its not so touchy

On 9/15/2020 at 8:06 PM, NiftyFifty said:

On 5/14/2015 at 9:05 AM, NiftyFifty said:

I'll take some pics of the final work today...but it was a job that was a little mind numbing at times...and with a couple do overs, a bit pricier then first thought.

What was the part number for the rack and pinion you used for your truck. Any information would help. I’m getting ready to do the rack and pinion on my 1.5 ton truck. Installing a different motor and transmission in it. 

I can’t find my order slip from rock auto, but it’s the p/s rack from 84+ Omni/Rampage but you have to make sure the pressure and return lines are on the side, not the top.  I’m 90% sure I ordered my last one for the rampage, and it was right.  I broke my very first one by tightening the bolts too much and cracked the mounting ear off, when I ordered my second the lines were wrong, so I had to order another one.

I'm not sure however I would recommend this on a 1.5 ton, that’s a lot more wheel to turn and weight, and that rack really  isn’t all that beefy.