Door Panel Clips

gearhead49

Instead of using the metal clips that rust and also have a tendency to push oput when installing the door panels why dont you use velcro?

You can glue the velcro strip rigt to the door frame and then ont the back of the panel and also you can add more strips in specific locations to get the panel to be perfectly flat against the door frame. 

Also the nice part is that when you and if you ever need to remove the panel it will peel right off the door frame and you will not have to worry about  pulling the clips out of the hardboard backing material.

This would be cheaper  and velcro hold very tightly.  USe the modern stuff now when restoring a car or truck also the velcro is hidden so noone will ever know.  ALso with the velcro you can re position the panel if you do not like how it fits against the door.

If you run a strip along all of the edges then you will get a tight fit along the edge instead of just where the clip attached to the panel and the door frame  and you can run a criss cross also on the panel and door frame to make sure it is tight inthe middel  and also arounf where the door and windrow crank handles come throught the panel

I use velso strips to hold down my rugs in my 39 Desoto and use a good quality glue like gator glue to  attach the velso to the two materials metal and the rug backing..

Just a suggestion.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

desoto1939, on 21 Nov 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:desoto1939, on 21 Nov 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Instead of using the metal clips that rust and also have a tendency to push oput when installing the door panels why dont you use velcro?

You can glue the velcro strip rigt to the door frame and then ont the back of the panel and also you can add more strips in specific locations to get the panel to be perfectly flat against the door frame. 

Also the nice part is that when you and if you ever need to remove the panel it will peel right off the door frame and you will not have to worry about  pulling the clips out of the hardboard backing material.

This would be cheaper  and velcro hold very tightly.  USe the modern stuff now when restoring a car or truck also the velcro is hidden so noone will ever know.  ALso with the velcro you can re position the panel if you do not like how it fits against the door.

If you run a strip along all of the edges then you will get a tight fit along the edge instead of just where the clip attached to the panel and the door frame  and you can run a criss cross also on the panel and door frame to make sure it is tight inthe middel  and also arounf where the door and windrow crank handles come throught the panel

I use velso strips to hold down my rugs in my 39 Desoto and use a good quality glue like gator glue to  attach the velso to the two materials metal and the rug backing..

Just a suggestion.

Rich HArtung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Rich..have you ever secured a door panel with Velcro...the reason I ask is that it would be next to impossible in my opinion to have a sturdy enough method to glue to Velcro and yet HAVE a moisture proof membrane between...now if you are using an ABS plastic panel then maybe you can forgo the membrane..but with any composite material..you are in my opinion asking for trouble...I can see and have used Velcro in other application successfully..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

Rich..have you ever secured a door panel with Velcro...the reason I ask is that it would be next to impossible in my opinion to have a sturdy enough method to glue to Velcro and yet HAVE a moisture proof membrane between...now if you are using an ABS plastic panel then maybe you can forgo the membrane..but with any composite material..you are in my opinion asking for trouble...I can see and have used Velcro in other application successfully..

Manufacturers have been using Velcro for years to hold interior moldings and trim in place. You can get the good commercial Velcro on e-bay it does a nice job. :D

have yet to see a door panel held on by Velcro..have seen Velcro in trunks and such holding the formed carpet sections in place...most door panels of today are formed with tapered prongs to insert and lock into position with a downward push with just a couple screws to hold other trim as it sandwiches the panel between that trim and the door metal..

The use of velco permit you to get the panel tight all along the edge of the panel and the door frame. This is just another option that can be used instead of clips that al space several inches apart from each other.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939, on 23 Nov 2014 - 8:23 PM, said:desoto1939, on 23 Nov 2014 - 8:23 PM, said:

The use of velco permit you to get the panel tight all along the edge of the panel and the door frame. This is just another option that can be used instead of clips that al space several inches apart from each other.

Rich Hartung

yes...I read that the first time..but did YOU make your door panels and affix with Velcro?..one would assume you are speaking with some voice of experience.. and did you use ABS or composite and if composite how did you address the moisture barrier...inquiring minds want to know...I am just this day making panels for the trunk of the 48 bz cp today to add a bit of dress and hide from view some strategically placed controls and upgrades....I may use Velcro on the side panel wrap arounds...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams