1950 B-2-D

Hello everyone my name is Michael and I'm a Mopar nut.  I'm a long time lurker but recently started to get a little more involved.  I purchased a 1948 B-1-D November of 2010 out in the desert in Apple Valley, California.  My nephew called it "Tio Michael's junk" when he saw it from the side then once he saw it from the front quickly named it "Towmater."

IMG_1101.jpg

This truck is definitely a long term project I have some interesting plans for it including a modern drivetrain (dana 80 dually axle, 10 lug wheels all around)  and trying to keep the exterior as original as possible with modern power and reliability, not to say these old trucks can't be reliable.  I'll leave this one for another build thread. 

Fast forward to earlier this year when a buddy of mine, a really big mopar nut, was doing a bunch of work on his Cuda and Charger including an engine rebuild on the Charger.  How many times i wished my truck was done to help him haul his stuff to and from the shop.  Well we both got back onto the truck search and we found this truck about 5 mins away from his home in Irvine, CA.  We both noticed it had been up on Craigslist for a long time now and the seller had recently posted that he needed it gone, his wife's nagging was really bad and he was ready to scrap it.  Well, that did it for me and i jumped on it.  Went to his house and scooped it up for a steal.  The cab itself is pretty solid it has a pretty complete interior and a few other extra things that were added on.  According to the PO it used to be a dump truck.  All of the dump items were stripped off so it has no bed on the rear.  Well the plan for this truck is to get it back on the road without getting too happy with modifying it.  So now the search for parts begins.  I'm already carrying over parts from my 48 for the time being to get a complete truck going.  So with all that being said here she is. 

temptemp_taken_picture.jpg

9c0dd9b4-a285-4c03-84f1-ef1bf799e435.jpg

4d234e1f-e872-4e2e-86b3-c8d11580996c.jpg

4d234e1f-e872-4e2e-86b3-c8d11580996c.jpg

1e7b25e0-3ef6-442f-9c0f-ee8cac87ab83.jpg

50K original miles???

e276157e-1a17-42e5-8953-88465bb154b6.jpg

• Like 3

Some of the extra switches.  Check out the exposed wiring.

20141114_144339.jpg

This is where the floor boards and trans plate came in from the 48 dodge i have.  I'll be needing another set when that time comes.  Also I noticed the firewall brake release compared to my 48 that had the floor/transmission e brake set up.

20141114_144023.jpg

Starting to clean her up.

20141114_152038.jpg

Removed the extra switches and pulled the radio delete.  I hope have a radio sitting in that slot soon. (Thanks Keven!)

20141114_160906.jpg

Edited by 1TonDirtyMopar
  • Like 2

Welcome to the forum.  Looks like you've got a really solid start on that 1 ton, and donor vehicle to boot.   Two birds with a single stone.  Keep the pics coming.   Mike

Did you get the front clip with it? Was it it stripped to the bare chassis up front when you got it?

Also, I notice that the first picture is of a B3-4 nose. Is this the original '48 truck you mentioned? If so someone switched the nose.

Good luck with your projects. I look forward to seeing the outcome.

Merle

By the way... the under dash parking brake began in 1950 with the B2 models so it appears that you have a B-2-D here.

There was an "Express" (pickup bed) option for the dually 1 ton trucks but it's pretty rare. You'll have to extend the rear fenders. The easiest way may be to split them down the middle and weld in an extension panel.

Merle

• Like 1

Thanks Merle. The 50 truck was complete. The PO had started to strip it down in preparation to drop a chevy 350 into it. So I do have a complete front end for it.

Yes the 48 had the nose swapped out along with a bunch of other half assed mods. That one used to be a tow truck. I actually purchased the older nose and grill bars for it. I didnt like that b3 nose and finding the missing pieces well itd be a pain and $$$.

Welcome. Too funny. I think this one is still listed on the local C/L......did you happen to get a brush guard with it? The sellers ad seemed pretty hysterical. If you are near Irvine I may have a few small bit's and pieces you might need.

Jeff

Sorry jeff this one didn't come with it.  Apparently the PO said it was junk and tossed it.  Do you have the ad or link to it?  My buddy lives right off the 405 off Jeffrey.  He's the one that got me hooked.

By the way... the under dash parking brake began in 1950 with the B2 models so it appears that you have a B-2-D here.

I agree...1950 started the underdash e-brake. The rest of the truck cab ID's as a 48-50......wiper location, dash, etc

48D

Thanks Jeff. Next time I'm in Irvine I'll give you a shout.

I just posted up a new ad in the classifieds for a long bed and long running boards. I see an ad on CL for some running boards. They belong to anyone on here?

I'm also debating on getting the 218 from the 48 rebuilt. I did see some nasty gouges in one of the cylinders so the block will definitely need a bore. Any good machine shops in So Cal?

Edited by 1TonDirtyMopar

• 2 weeks later...

Well haven't had much time to work on the truck this holiday weekend.  Been busy with family and what not.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to get to do even just a little work on it to keep progress going.  I brought over some other parts i had for my 48 so i'll start cleaning and or fixing those parts to get them into this truck.

Mike,

I am in Torrance next week if you want more pictures of them.

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on this thing.  Found a motor in San Diego, so I'll be heading down there this weekend to pick that up and drop it right into the truck.  Also picked up a 4 spd trans from a guy off Craigslist.  Cracked open the top plate and well it wasn't pretty...

20141214_164601.jpg

20141214_164304.jpg

20141214_164617.jpg

20141214_164631.jpg

So i'm hoping i could salvage this trans.  I did find some gears on Evilbay but i'm hoping i could find them cheaper elsewhere and locally.

Anyone have a blast cabinet?

Garbage can that trans!

Oooooh that is nasty. Looks like it spent some time at the bottom of a pond. Was that the $40 4 speed in LA ? I doubt there is much worth saving there. Good luck on the engine.

Jeff

Yeaup.  That's the one.  Ended up getting it for free so why not.  I guess the 48's 3spd will get bolted to that motor.

Thanks the guy i spoke to for the motor just had a chevy 350 installed in his truck and had this laying around.  He said that it ran strong with no issues.  It is a 3 on the tree trans but mentioned that the fork or forks were broken.  I'll be heading down there this Friday so wish me luck!

Yeaup.  That's the one.  Ended up getting it for free so why not.  I guess the 48's 3spd will get bolted to that motor.

Thanks the guy i spoke to for the motor just had a chevy 350 installed in his truck and had this laying around.  He said that it ran strong with no issues.  It is a 3 on the tree trans but mentioned that the fork or forks were broken.  I'll be heading down there this Friday so wish me luck!

Thought so. There is a Pilothouse transmission on C/L right now.....Azusa.

The thing is if you are patient there are some deals on it from time to time. It is how I found my truck. One thing I have noticed is how stuff seems to come in waves. There will be nothing or the some old stuff and then all of a sudden there will be a cluster of listings. Also don't just search year specific. I have seen early pilothouse trucks listed as late as 1956 as an example. Also I have had pretty fair luck using Ebay......got several nice items for fair money.

Once in a while there is a little bit of stuff at the Long Beach S/M and at Pomona. But you got to wade through a ton of Cheevy parts man. :) Then of course there is always the classifieds here. Guy's like Tim (48 Dodger) and Mark (GGdad) may be able to help with some of the stuff. The real key is being patient and keeping your ear to the ground. These trucks take a bit more owner persistence than some of the others.....but it is worth it.

Jeff