360 Magnum, NV3500 in my 48 Plymouth

Smokeybear

Smokeybear  -

Just thought I'd ask!  Glad it's not a rag type. Tim I agree with your assessment of rag joints in general. Just appeared He may have used one at a steep angle, which I found out years ago using an Old rag joint. Then can twist apart when misaligned beyond their intended design. Fortunately it was just in the testing stage!! Added a u joint while I removed the broken rag.

Smokey pictures didn't show it well enough for these old eyes, so felt a need to at least ask.

DJ

Smokeybear  -

Just thought I'd ask!  Glad it's not a rag type. Tim I agree with your assessment of rag joints in general. Just appeared He may have used one at a steep angle, which I found out years ago using an Old rag joint. Then can twist apart when misaligned beyond their intended design. Fortunately it was just in the testing stage!! Added a u joint while I removed the broken rag.

Smokey pictures didn't show it well enough for these old eyes, so felt a need to at least ask.

DJ

I think what you're seeing is the back of the starter. I haven't cleaned it up yet as I wanted to install it before installing the rack to make sure of all the clearances. Thanks though. 

not reliable....what do you think they used for umpteen years..how many of these cars/trucks still have the original rag..more than you can fathom..how many are upgraded to a telescoping universal joint style..only those that enjoyed a retrofit of modern suspension in form of a clip...tell you what...go out and find one of these columns and entertain the removal without unbolting the rag...after defeat (no knife/saw please) come back and let me know how much you sweated and fought and fumed over that little rag...

I said it's not reliable as a u-joint. The shafts must be in close alignment. It's very reliable when used as designed.

Very nice work. I am installing a 318 (5.2) with an NV3500 in my 49 Fastback and was wondering where the shifter comes up in regards to the seat?

I'm using non-stock seats but here is a pic that shows where the shifter comes up. Not the best angle but you can see the location.

IMG_0492.jpg

per your description of the  rack  location to the  lower control arm pivot  points,,i think it will  steer better  turning  radis  wise  then the fat man  kit,,,smart idea,,,  a  friend  of mine and  me are going  to do an  install soon on a 1940 plymouth,,,your  conversion looks interesting,,, also  wondering   I see your using the dodge  power steering  pump,,,,  love that  dodge  gauges in your dash as well,,,and a stick  shift,,  what do  you plan to do with the dash,,thats covering the  last 2 gauges on the right ?  following your  project,,

per your description of the  rack  location to the  lower control arm pivot  points,,i think it will  steer better  turning  radis  wise  then the fat man  kit,,,smart idea,,,  a  friend  of mine and  me are going  to do an  install soon on a 1940 plymouth,,,your  conversion looks interesting,,, also  wondering   I see your using the dodge  power steering  pump,,,,  love that  dodge  gauges in your dash as well,,,and a stick  shift,,  what do  you plan to do with the dash,,thats covering the  last 2 gauges on the right ?  following your  project,,

I'm looking for a water temp and volt meter gauge that looks similar to the Dakota gauges. I'm going to make a panel that fits where the radio delete is and I'll add them in there. As for the PS pump, yes it's the original Dakota pump. The hoses fit the cavalier rack with not modifications. 18mm and 16mm ends on them.

keep  pluggging away,,,it will be  worth  it in the end  loving this  project,,,  have you thought  of maybe to  modify  the dash  to make the  dakota  guages  fit and all be visable ??  ive seen it done  in a 1937 dash,,,if  i were building  a  car it would be the way you are doing it,,,

keep  pluggging away,,,it will be  worth  it in the end  loving this  project,,,  have you thought  of maybe to  modify  the dash  to make the  dakota  guages  fit and all be visable ??  ive seen it done  in a 1937 dash,,,if  i were building  a  car it would be the way you are doing it,,,

I don't really want to cut up the dash in case I can figure out a way to use the original speedometer with the pulse type speedometer output in the NV3500. Thanks for the compliments.

I don't really want to cut up the dash in case I can figure out a way to use the original speedometer with the pulse type speedometer output in the NV3500. Thanks for the compliments.

I would swear that somewhere I saw a gizmo that would take the electronic speedo input and drive a standard speedometer head.  Now I'm going to have to try to find it .......

Marty

I would swear that somewhere I saw a gizmo that would take the electronic speedo input and drive a standard speedometer head.  Now I'm going to have to try to find it .......

Marty

Found one !

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/interior-electrical/hppp-1007-electronic-speedometer-converter/

Marty

Smokeybear, on 26 Dec 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

what year NV3500 are you working with...the one I have in my 48 Ply Bz Cp (2004) has NO provisions for the speedometer as it is all electronic and ring tone is taken from the rear axle ring gear...I think only the automatics has tone coming from the tranny...but again I am not 100% on that these days...

Just my observation and my opinion of course, but if I get out of my '04 Dakota and get in my '47 dodge with the fatman kit.  I notice the '47 drives considerably better. 

Lots to consider with tires, etc, but it's just my two cents.

Edited by steveplym

what year NV3500 are you working with...the one I have in my 48 Ply Bz Cp (2004) has NO provisions for the speedometer as it is all electronic and ring tone is taken from the rear axle ring gear...I think only the automatics has tone coming from the tranny...but again I am not 100% on that these days...

I believe it's a 95 or 96. It was in the Durango I harvested most of the parts from. It does have a pulse type output on the driver's side of the tailshaft.

I've used a few of those AX-15 five speed trannies out of the V8 Dakotas; pretty reasonably priced and a good trans as long as you're not planning on running 500 HP through it.

Yeah, I'm not going anywhere near 500 HP but this was in the Dakota that I got almost everything from. I used a flywheel from a Ram 2500 with the NV4500 and a clutch kit to fit the NV3500. I did have to buy a "Pilot Bearing" that fits in the back of the crank. It's the same one they put in automatics so it was an off the shelf part.

That's cool; I didn't know they ever used the NV4500 in the Dakotas. Probably in the 5.9 trucks rather than the 5.2s. Great trans; it should take plenty of smokey (bear) burnouts without complaining.

The flywheel is from a NV4500 from a Ram 2500. I have the NV3500 that was in the Dakota. 

I would check  jegs,,,summit and auto meter for that  speedo  convertor,,  i  know  ive seen it,,and  im sure  no where near  4  bills,,auto meter may be your  best bet,,,you could  try  a place call street and  performance,,,there web  address is  hot  rod  lane i  believe,,, he  does lots of conversions  of all types of  stuff,,,first guy to do a 5.7  hemi  in a jeep

Edited by fstfish66
  • Like 1

I believe it's a 95 or 96. It was in the Durango I harvested most of the parts from. It does have a pulse type output on the driver's side of the tailshaft.

If the NV is anything like the AX15 of similar vintage then installing a mech speedo is just a parts swap/bolt-in.  The AX15 elec speed part

is very much the same as the mech part in regards to the gear and the tailshaft.

speedogear001-1.jpg

• Like 1