360 Magnum, NV3500 in my 48 Plymouth

Smokeybear

If the NV is anything like the AX15 of similar vintage then installing a mech speedo is just a parts swap/bolt-in.  The AX15 elec speed part

is very much the same as the mech part in regards to the gear and the tailshaft.

Thanks for this info, this is interesting. This is what I've found so far

The 96 has the electronic output that goes to the speedometer via three wires. orange/white, red, and black. The orange white is the sensing wire, the red is a voltage input that accepts 5v and the black is a ground. The sensors themselves on the outside are similar here is the 96...

TTRSC105Tphotoprimary.jpg

5S4684_4.jpg

The older model have a mechanical drive with the same square end as a normal speedo cable...

SC108angle.jpg

SC108photoprimary.jpg

it has a two blade type output. Looking at the pictures I can see where it could be possible to use the original cable and hook it up to the NV3500 transmission if there are threads inside like the older sensor looks to hook up to. That would just leave a question as how to seal up the opening in the side of the transmission.

I'll get under the car tomorrow and see if this is feasible.

I am ONE HAPPY MAN!! When I started this project I wanted to be done before the spring so I could enjoy the car in the warmer weather. Well sometimes things go wrong and sometimes things go right. I got to the point today where it was time to try to start the engine. I double and triple checked the start up list and after everything had been looked over I bumped the starter and she rumbled and sputtered a little. I gave it a little timing and it sounded better but still didn't start. So I gave her some more advance and here is the result...

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/Smokeybear31/media/1948%20Plymouth%20Special%20Deluxe%20Business%20Coupe/IMG_0554.mp4.html?sort=3&o=2

After double and triple checking for leaks or any other signs of problems, she came down off the jack stands and out the door I went. The first times she's been driven in two months. I am IN LOVE all over again. The brakes are outstanding, the clutch is smooth as silk. She goes through the gears with no effort at all. The power steering is light as a feather with no catching or notchiness. There is the loss of some turning radius but not enough to complain about. I didn't get to drive it far because I haven't finished bleeding the air out of the cooling system and I didn't want to chance overheating so just out of the garage, a quick turn and back in is as far as I got.

http://s210.photobucket.com/user/Smokeybear31/media/1948%20Plymouth%20Special%20Deluxe%20Business%20Coupe/IMG_0556.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Again. I will update this thread with a lot of pictures of the build and explanations of how I overcame the problems when I get everything ironed out. But for now, you couldn't knock the smile off my face with a speeding Mack truck right now!:D

• Like 2

congrats on your  quick  progress,,,

you talked about  the  effortless streering,,,the  first time  you go out  at  high way  speeds BECAREFULL ,,,take  notice to the  feed back you get from the steering wheel,or  the  effortless steering,,,i have the same  rack and  pinion,,,  i  had to  change the  pressure on the  pressure side of the pump,,it was to easy  at  faster speeds,,,if I would have  sneezed ide of gone off the road,,,,  i  had the  pump slowed down,,,and it is still a little  sensitive at  faster speeds,,,  i may  slow it down  soem more,,,

congrats on your  quick  progress,,,

you talked about  the  effortless streering,,,the  first time  you go out  at  high way  speeds BECAREFULL ,,,take  notice to the  feed back you get from the steering wheel,or  the  effortless steering,,,i have the same  rack and  pinion,,,  i  had to  change the  pressure on the  pressure side of the pump,,it was to easy  at  faster speeds,,,if I would have  sneezed ide of gone off the road,,,,  i  had the  pump slowed down,,,and it is still a little  sensitive at  faster speeds,,,  i may  slow it down  soem more,,,

Thanks, I didn't get to highway speeds but I did see how it would do up to about 45. So far really good. I'm am going to have to realign the front though, the steering wheel is off about half a turn. I'm going to let the front springs settle for a few days before I do that but everything seems to be working well. It steers as nice as my wife's Lexus. Brakes are outstanding. It shifts perfectly. I did find a small leak from the waterneck. The Edelbrock intake said that a newer style waterneck wouldn't work but it fits fine. I think I'll just make a thicker gasket and see if that stops the leak. It's just seems to seep just a little. I also noticed that the carb needs to be tuned a bit more, It may be where it's still cold out but it had just a bit of stutter when you first get on the gas. After that it pulls VERY STRONG. As strong as any car I've ever been in including my uncles 71 vette with the 454 4 speed. And I still even haven't had it above 45 yet. 

• Like 3

Your tie rods should be arranged, left hand threads and right hand threads, so that if you rotate both of the tie rods in the same direction, such as top of rod to the front, the tow-in will remain the same, but the centering of the steering wheel will change.  You are shortening one tie rod while lengthening the other, thus moving the pitman arm and the steering wheel.   

I forget which way to turn the tie rod ends to move the wheel right or left.  Experiment.  This assumes that someone didn't bugger the splines at the steering wheel or the pitman shaft.  Your steering wheel is off half a turn?  180 degrees?  Hmm...   

Edited by DonaldSmith

Your tie rods should be arranged, left hand threads and right hand threads, so that if you rotate both of the tie rods in the same direction, such as top of rod to the front, the tow-in will remain the same, but the centering of the steering wheel will change.  You are shortening one tie rod while lengthening the other, thus moving the pitman arm and the steering wheel.   

I forget which way to turn the tie rod ends to move the wheel right or left.  Experiment.  This assumes that someone didn't bugger the splines at the steering wheel or the pitman shaft.  Your steering wheel is off half a turn?  180 degrees?  Hmm...   

I should have said a quarter of a turn... almost. There's no pitman shaft anymore, I've replaced it with a rack and pinion. I'll tweak it in a few days to get the steering wheel straight. 

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the wait, I have been having way too much fun with the old girl. Here are some updated pictures...

11130290_411944025653934_540311198607956

10408918_411942162320787_680827905848429

I painted her again, I went with gloss black this time. I also airbagged the front end. I'll be adding a 4 link and airbagging the rear this winter. I drove her all over this summer and had a great time. She is running and driving perfectly. 75 on the highway is right at 2200 rpm and she still has plenty of power in reserve. If there are any questions, just ask, I'll be glad to go over anything I missed.

Gratuitous shiney picture...

IMG_0632.jpg

was wondering what happened to you,,,car looks  great  ,,,wondering,,,seems like  every one has a different  reply,,,how do you like the  ride from the air bags ?? i was going to bag my  front end when i  rebuilt it,but more told me it rode harder then  real  coils, so  i  just went with the  coils,, kool  car  u  have

Good question, I can tell you what my seat-of-the-pants-ometer thinks of the airbags....MUCH better. I've driven the car with the original springs, then I cut an inch and a half out of them, then I put in new Aerostar coils in when I rebuilt the front end, then I put in the airbags. The airbags win hands down. No comparison. The front end rides so smooth and tracks so much better. I can adjust on the fly if I need to. I set them up so that when completely deflated, they sit on the bump stops. That gives me plenty of adjustability and I can ride anywhere from 30 PSI to 120 PSI depending on how I want the front end to sit. Usually 70-75 PSI is the sweet spot for comfort and drivability. And the best part is, the mods I made to the lower A-arm wont interfere with the coils if somewhere down the line I decide to go back. I'm really looking forward to bagging the rear, not so much for the looks but for the comfort of the ride. 

Good question, I can tell you what my seat-of-the-pants-ometer thinks of the airbags....MUCH better. I've driven the car with the original springs, then I cut an inch and a half out of them, then I put in new Aerostar coils in when I rebuilt the front end, then I put in the airbags. The airbags win hands down. No comparison. The front end rides so smooth and tracks so much better. I can adjust on the fly if I need to. I set them up so that when completely deflated, they sit on the bump stops. That gives me plenty of adjustability and I can ride anywhere from 30 PSI to 120 PSI depending on how I want the front end to sit. Usually 70-75 PSI is the sweet spot for comfort and drivability. And the best part is, the mods I made to the lower A-arm wont interfere with the coils if somewhere down the line I decide to go back. I'm really looking forward to bagging the rear, not so much for the looks but for the comfort of the ride. 

sounds great, keep  us  posted  on the  rear  air bag project,,,