Another P15 Lock Question - Original or Not?

J.P.G.

Hello All,

Many thanks again for all of your help on getting my trunk unlocked in time for last weekend. I found a locksmith to pick it open for me. But now, I have another question:

When I lost the keys to the ignition and trunk, I had no spare set. So, unable to find a way to have a new key made for the original lock, I bought a new ignition switch and key set and installed it. It works, but to my surprise, the switch and lock cylinder that came, supposedly the correct type for my 1946 Plymouth, did not match the one that was in the car. The original was made by Alemite, and the key was a tiny Star type HFD7, and no provision I could find to remove the lock cylinder. The new one came with a much larger key, and a totally different-looking cylinder. It also has a pin on the top of the switch to remove the cylinder with.

This solved a different question I'd had for a while, I came across an original Plymouth P15 blank with the crest pressed on the key. It was too big to fit the old lock, but glides right into the new ignition. A correct fit.

So, which is it? I have no reason to believe the old lock is not original to the car, but every other resource points to the new lock as being the correct type. The only explanation I can think of is that it is a left-over 1942 part that was installed only on the early 1946 models.

Is the lock original, or not? If so, why is it different?

Thanks very much in advance, and best regards.

Some photos could prove useful. I don't think my ignition lock is original, because it has a '60's looking pentastar on the key, but I do think my door & trunk locks are the original style.

I can't get the pictures to upload, I'll keep trying.

It is possible that the smaller-keyed ignition was shared by Dodge trucks of the era, according to one online parts supplier. My car was built in mid November, 1946, if that helps anyone also.

You can buy (last I knew) a new tumbler with pentastar style key at O'Reilly auto parts for 8 or 10 dollars. ... That will fit a P15 housing. The ignition key originally also fit the door locks. The trunk key was the oval head shape and only for trunk.

Original style key blanks are often for sale on eBay.

Don't know if the above helps anything...just adding as background information.