Weathermania

ggdad1951

So our first storm of the year here in Minnesota and the weather terrorists, are predicting over a foot of snowfall.  The ground hasn't frozen yet and the roads are complete crap right now, compacted slushy snow = skating rink....

So in that vein, I figured and ongoing thread to discuss the crazy weather in your area....

So our first storm of the year here in Minnesota and the weather terrorists, are predicting over a foot of snowfall.  The ground hasn't frozen yet and the roads are complete crap right now, compacted slushy snow = skating rink....

So in that vein, I figured and ongoing thread to discuss the crazy weather in your area....

And sadly they don't appear to be exaggerating this time.....

Canadians are a generous people and we like to share what we have with our fellow North Americans. I live in Alberta and am proud to have sent an Alberta Clipper your way. Right now lotsa snow on the ground and temperature dipping steadily and will soon be -18C (0F) during the day and then -25C (-15F) or so overnight. Don't forget, we get our weather from Alaska. :P

Unfortunately, my old cars have been put to sleep in their heated garages. They don't get out much during the winter either due to road conditions or all the grit and gravel on the roads. It sucks! :angry:

Edited by RobertKB

RobertKB, on 10 Nov 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Don't forget, we get our weather from Alaska. :P

Robert....as the world turns (direction of rotation)..the cold slips out of the frigid Artic and while it may seem it is coming from Alaska...I am afraid you got it all wrong...(and if I am wrong...well...you still need to be the bigger guy and close the border)... :lol:

Balmy ocean breeze, temps in the mid 80's, clear skies, chicks in skimpy bathing suits, and then I woke up. :mad:

You just described where I was born, raised, & still live, boy do I get tired of it....... :cool::lol:

Edited by deathbound
  • Like 1

Cool nice and sunny here in the great northwest.

Going to drive my woodie today.

and did....

post-302-0-35725500-1415753765_thumb.jpg

post-302-0-36760100-1415753855_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dodgeb4ya

so after all we heard was SNOMAGEDDON, at my house I got about 1.5" of the white stuff since yesterday at 3AM....I want the job that lets me be that wrong and still get paid!

• Like 2

so after all we heard was SNOMAGEDDON, at my house I got about 1.5" of the white stuff since yesterday at 3AM....I want the job that lets me be that wrong and still get paid!

Ya I got about 4". I heard just a few miles north of me got over a foot.

Ya I got about 4". I heard just a few miles north of me got over a foot.

Really you got it before we did Ed, got a dusting overnight, might get 2-4 inches tonight though. Can you feel our northwind yet.

I guess you have to get ready for a snowstorm, doesn't Minneapolis get major snow for every Thanksgiving?

Really you got it before we did Ed, got a dusting overnight, might get 2-4 inches tonight though. Can you feel our northwind yet.

I guess you have to get ready for a snowstorm, doesn't Minneapolis get major snow for every Thanksgiving?

Lately it seems like it but we've had winters with no snow until January too.

Canadians are a generous people and we like to share what we have with our fellow North Americans. I live in Alberta and am proud to have sent an Alberta Clipper your way. Right now lotsa snow on the ground and temperature dipping steadily and will soon be -18C (0F) during the day and then -25C (-15F) or so overnight. Don't forget, we get our weather from Alaska. :P

Unfortunately, my old cars have been put to sleep in their heated garages. They don't get out much during the winter either due to road conditions or all the grit and gravel on the roads. It sucks! :angry:

I keep telling the wind turbine folks on the southern shores of the Great Lakes that we should run current in reverse to those windmills, and blow those clippers back into Canada.  Hey, its worth a try!

72 and a light breeze all day in western NY today.  Ran in shorts and a t-shirt for probably the last time until April or so, and took the ol' Dodge out for final spin, since that front is supposed to kick us in the nads later tonight.  Just cold and wind, maybe some lake effect further south, (Southern Tier / Dunkirk / Jamestown) but I think we're...Dodging (sorry),  this bullet compared to further west.

Here is the latest on weather reporting.

A Very Cold Winter Is Coming!

It's late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation in South Dakota asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.

Since he was a chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, 'Is the coming winter going to be cold?'

'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,' the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?'

'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'it's going to be a very cold winter.'

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again. 'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'

'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we've ever seen.'

'How can you be so sure?' the chief asked.

The weatherman replied, 'The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy.'
  • Like 3

Shortly after Bob posted his picture of a nice, sunny northwest day, we got hit with an unusual early-season icy-blast.  At our house it manifested as freezing rain, which occurs when the ground is below freezing and there is warmer air above.  It falls as liquid and freezes on contact.  Here are a couple pictures of one of my cars under a tarp.  The tarp is frozen solid as shown by the bag sitting on what would normally be a floppy fold.

We're back to nice sunny weather again today.

post-3715-0-47850500-1415988651_thumb.jpg

post-3715-0-72659200-1415988661_thumb.jpg

Edited by jcmiller
  • Like 1

Ahhh, now THIS is Buffalo weather.  I live in Wheatfield, work on Grand Island.  Left the house this morning with 17 degrees and the moon and stars in the sky.  Dry (salty) roads all the way to the office.  Now I'm still looking at clear blue skies above.  Meanwhile, no more than a couple miles to the south ("Buffalo"), a curtain of dark clouds off Lake Erie, feet of blowing snow, major road closures, schools closed, and half the office can't make it in.  Supposed to be like this through at least Thursday.  Which is just peachy , cuz I have to drive to D.C. tomorrow.  Winter, gotta love it!