8th Annual Clements Tailgate BBQ......

48Dodger

Some pics from the weekend...(in order)

Sure liked that '56 Dodge Wagon. Looks like all it needs is a tail light, oil change, and some fresh gas! Oh and a new afghan for the front seat!

The last photo of the truck was taken around 1 pm on Easter Sunday.

Wait who owns that wagon????

LOL - the dirt tracker? He would have won had he not almost spun out. Trophy goes to Tim, but I think he had a head start.

Dirt Trackers

Edited by TrampSteer
  • Like 1

STORY 2 OF 7

Gary Martin

Gary is from Redwood City which is about 2 plus hours from my ranch. His wife Lavonne has me on her email list and keeps me up to date on this and that. Infact she sends me email cards for no reason at all sometimes which really brightens me up. The two of them are a team and have been on the car show "circuit" for sometime now.

I remember when he called me up before his first trip out to the ranch, his gruff voice and straight talk was something I could understand....no BS. They were planning on driving their motorhome out, the car, and the Panel truck. I had no idea if it would be worth the trip for them....I was new to the truck show deal and wasn't sure they would enjoy being out in the middle of nowhere, hanging out with mostly inprogress trucks. Boy was I wrong. Every year they show up early, every year they bring food and gifts, and every year they are close to being the last ones to leave. One year Gary had a heart attack right after the BBQ and gave everyone a real scare. It wasn't his first one, and he handled it fine. He didn't bring the truck the next year, but showed up with his family. I can't thank them enough for the laughs and simple friendship they've given me.

This year was like most years....they showed up with the truck on a Wednesday, brought the RV on a Friday, helped on a Saturday, and left late on a Sunday. The difference this year is they have sold their house in Redwood City and are moving closer to my place.....how cool is that!! I think most people know how much I love his Yellow Panel Truck, and most would agree he deserved the big trophy this year, BUT what most don't know is that Gary has pulled his "friend card" and bestowed a wonderful gift on me. He asked if he could keep his truck at my shop til the move is over. "Are you kidding me???" of course I'll watch the big yellow beast. I've even been given permission to drive it around town (of course I won't, but I will drive it over to my brothers and even Mom's..lol) So it looks like I may have more than enough time to understand the details of Gary's beautiful Panel and make a few notes for my roach of a Panel. It might be years before its done, but I don't care, I don't have a deadline. Just takes the fun out of it. I only need the joy of knowing I can love a complete truck as much as a rusty truck. Gary is a great friend....I've made a lot of friends like him because of the BBQ.....and I hope to keep finding more. But this is a real trust thing and I'm glad he has that for me.

It'll be a few weeks....maybe even a few months....but believe me, the truck is in good hands.

And I'll enjoy every minute of it. ^_^  

48D

post-340-0-45063500-1428615800_thumb.jpg

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 5

And what is really cool, I'll have Gary and his wife as new neighbours. 5 miles from us. He already met Deisel Dave with the 40 Ford truck with the Cummins and the guy with the 68 Chev p/u. Tim knows what truck I'm talking about!

• Like 1

Tim, You are one of a kind. They tossed away the big big mold after they invented you. I am proud to have you as a friend.

Wow.....cool thing for you to say DC....I feel the same. You are a wealth of common sense and knowledge concerning anything car related. From one racer to another.....I'll see you at the finish line my friend! ^_^   

48D

p.s. It was a wheelbarrow race Tim...lol

Edited by 48dodger

finally home and able to share pictures of the trip.  Yep all the pictures of the trip to CA.  Some parts from earlier than the PH era might be of interest to people.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c9adawtk8yllmqg/AADc1tN-jhRU8c6fsMEBywhya?dl=0

• Like 7

finally home and able to share pictures of the trip.  Yep all the pictures of the trip to CA.  Some parts from earlier than the PH era might be of interest to people.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c9adawtk8yllmqg/AADc1tN-jhRU8c6fsMEBywhya?dl=0

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. I see you made it to Lodi Brewing. And hail on the ground along Victor road! was that Sunday?

Quite a stash o' parts Dave has up there too....!

Great pictures but I couldn't help but notice Marks hand on Tim's rear when he was getting his trophy.  I am starting to wonder if staying at Marks during the Back to the 50's is a good idea.

STORY 1 OF 7

George from Oregon.

I met George last year at the 2014 BBQ. I learned about him and his family through out the day as I made my rounds that Friday before the big day. First I saw the beautiful truck he had put together and the truck and trailer it was transported with. When I asked "Who owns the 38?" I was surprised to see a bright eyed gentlemen zip on over on his motorized wheel chair and have a nice lady say to me "He's the owner". I asked the usual questions, where did you find the truck, what motor, how long did it take to put it together...etc. He stood from the chair shaking, but walking, and shook my hand and answered my questions. It was a pleasant meeting and nice to see a guy get around so easily on my gravel roads with his powered chair and have enough strength to walk as well. . As the day wore on I realized they were leaving the truck and heading to the hotel for the night. I knew I would get a private moment with the truck which was important because I have a 38 in my fleet of unrestored trucks, and was in need of a good role model. I took pictures later and marveled at how clean it was. The next day, they showed up early and we decided to move his truck to front of the shop. I found out he had never driven the truck and may never due to his illness. It was then I started asking questions about his health. Without hesitation, the group of us said "Get in the truck George, we'll push it in place and you steer it!" The picture Dave posted of George smiling through the driver side window, was that very moment. It was a cool thing to see and experience the smile he had on his face.

As I rode my ATV around helping and such, I came upon a "kid" working on his diesel truck in the parking area of the ranch. I offered him my tools and whatever help he needed from my shop to fix it. He smiled and said "that's ok, I have all the tools I need" his smile look a lot like George's...."isn't this George's tow truck?" I said, "yeah, I'm his grandson....I drove it" He went on to say he took his leave from the military so he could help get it to the BBQ. "This BBQ is on his bucket list....he really wanted to get here"......That statement put a chill up my back and about at a loss for words, "really?" I said with a hint of doubt. "Yeah....been really looking forward to it." To me its always about the people, the guys and gals getting together to have a burger and a truck to talk over.....but this was different. Or it seemed different. Or should it be different? ....I really thought hard on it and realized.....no, its not different. I was determined to give George the same experience everyone else was having......a burger and a truck to talk over. He was a dude like the rest of us and fit right in. Because of his health, and the work he did to get to the show....he earned "The Tough Trucker" award, and rightly so. That Sunday after the BBQ, they packed up the truck, said a bunch of goodbyes to the remaining crew and were on they're way. I knew they would be back next year!.....

When I heard George had a stroke, seemingly right after he had just packed up for his second trip to the BBQ, I was worried. When I heard that he was not likely to make it.....I teared up. When Dave had us cheer for him over the phone at the show, I clapped and smiled. When I heard he had passed away on Sunday...I cried. He was a tough trucker, a good ol boy, he was one of us.

I'm proud to have met George.

48D

STORY 1 OF 7

George from Oregon.

I met George last year at the 2014 BBQ. I learned about him and his family through out the day as I made my rounds that Friday before the big day. First I saw the beautiful truck he had put together and the truck and trailer it was transported with. When I asked "Who owns the 38?" I was surprised to see a bright eyed gentlemen zip on over on his motorized wheel chair and have a nice lady say to me "He's the owner". I asked the usual questions, where did you find the truck, what motor, how long did it take to put it together...etc. He stood from the chair shaking, but walking, and shook my hand and answered my questions. It was a pleasant meeting and nice to see a guy get around so easily on my gravel roads with his powered chair and have enough strength to walk as well. . As the day wore on I realized they were leaving the truck and heading to the hotel for the night. I knew I would get a private moment with the truck which was important because I have a 38 in my fleet of unrestored trucks, and was in need of a good role model. I took pictures later and marveled at how clean it was. The next day, they showed up early and we decided to move his truck to front of the shop. I found out he had never driven the truck and may never due to his illness. It was then I started asking questions about his health. Without hesitation, the group of us said "Get in the truck George, we'll push it in place and you steer it!" The picture Dave posted of George smiling through the driver side window, was that very moment. It was a cool thing to see and experience the smile he had on his face.

As I rode my ATV around helping and such, I came upon a "kid" working on his diesel truck in the parking area of the ranch. I offered him my tools and whatever help he needed from my shop to fix it. He smiled and said "that's ok, I have all the tools I need" his smile look a lot like George's...."isn't this George's tow truck?" I said, "yeah, I'm his grandson....I drove it" He went on to say he took his leave from the military so he could help get it to the BBQ. "This BBQ is on his bucket list....he really wanted to get here"......That statement put a chill up my back and about at a loss for words, "really?" I said with a hint of doubt. "Yeah....been really looking forward to it." To me its always about the people, the guys and gals getting together to have a burger and a truck to talk over.....but this was different. Or it seemed different. Or should it be different? ....I really thought hard on it and realized.....no, its not different. I was determined to give George the same experience everyone else was having......a burger and a truck to talk over. He was a dude like the rest of us and fit right in. Because of his health, and the work he did to get to the show....he earned "The Tough Trucker" award, and rightly so. That Sunday after the BBQ, they packed up the truck, said a bunch of goodbyes to the remaining crew and were on they're way. I knew they would be back next year!.....

When I heard George had a stroke, seemingly right after he had just packed up for his second trip to the BBQ, I was worried. When I heard that he was not likely to make it.....I teared up. When Dave had us cheer for him over the phone at the show, I clapped and smiled. When I heard he had passed away on Sunday...I cried. He was a tough trucker, a good ol boy, he was one of us.

I'm proud to have met George.

48D

Beautiful!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...