8th Annual Clements Tailgate BBQ......

48Dodger

I have a challenge to you all and,  (TIM,) this would require a trophy!!

I'm working on to have a fleet of 1933 to 1938 Dodge trucks to be at the BBQ. 

You guys and Galls work on a fleet of 1939 to 1953 Dodge trucks.

I'm giving our group a handicap by giving you all a bigger year spread.

What do you think?

Up for the Challenge??

post-5541-0-65522800-1428509547_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

My take on the BBQ! No comment! I don't have the time or the band width to tell the good but I have time to tell the bad! Here it goes:  TO D-- SHORT!!!

Good job Tim and his helpers.

NOW the sad news. I'm very grateful for the crowd that chimed in with the phone call to George while lying in the hospital bed.

For the ones that didn't know George.

He owned a resto shop in Oregon and had done a 37 Dodge 1 1/2 ton flatbed truck. Black and yellow. This man was 75 years old with Parkinsons. Same dreadful disease as Mickael J Fox has. This was to be his last vehicle to restore before hanging his bump hammer and spray gun up for good. He and his family made it to the 2014 BBQ. He had called me a week later and Quoted: I hope to live 20 more years to attend 20 more BBQs. Last Monday, He called me and informed me that his truck is on the trailer and will be heading for the BBQ Thursday. Monday night, his sister called to inform us that George had suffered a major stroke. 

He had passes away Easter Sunday at 1:15 PM

Here are some pictures of Georges truck.

post-5541-0-49312900-1428521652_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-65771200-1428521667_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-21912600-1428521685_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-73484200-1428521708_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-49607600-1428521740_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-61479900-1428521788_thumb.jpg

post-5541-0-94828000-1428521833_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Reg....www.beerdarts.com will tell you all

What the rules on line don't tell you is never play against Mark.  When I played against him he sunk the dart in my can on the first throw, which means I had to slam my entire beer.  I said that was dumb luck so I opened another can and he then hit the very bottom of the can.  You guessed it, I had to slam another.  Several of my buddies sat in next and Mark continued to just hit our cans and smile.

Mark made the mistake of giving me a set of beer darts as a gift.  I have been practicing for the Back to the fifties weekend. 

• Like 1

My take on the BBQ! No comment! I don't have the time or the band width to tell the good but I have time to tell the bad! Here it goes:  TO D-- SHORT!!!

NOW the sad news. I'm very grateful for the crowd that chimed in with the phone call to George while lying in the hospital bed.

He owned a resto shop in Oregon and had done a 37 Dodge 1 1/2 ton flatbed truck. Black and yellow. This man was 75 years old with Parkinsons. Same dreadful disease as Mickael J Fox has. This was to be his last vehicle to restore before hanging his bump hammer and spray gun up for good. He and his family made it to the 2014 BBQ. He had called me a week later and Quoted: I hope to live 20 more years to attend 20 more BBQs. Last Monday, He called me and informed me that his truck is on the trailer and will be heading for the BBQ Thursday. Monday night, his sister called to inform us that George had suffered a major stroke. 

Sounds like a traveling trophy or an annual trophy for the best pre 39 truck in honor of him. Tim?

STORY 1 OF 7

George from Oregon.

I met George last year at the 2014 BBQ. I learned about him and his family through out the day as I made my rounds that Friday before the big day. First I saw the beautiful truck he had put together and the truck and trailer it was transported with. When I asked "Who owns the 38?" I was surprised to see a bright eyed gentlemen zip on over on his motorized wheel chair and have a nice lady say to me "He's the owner". I asked the usual questions, where did you find the truck, what motor, how long did it take to put it together...etc. He stood from the chair shaking, but walking, and shook my hand and answered my questions. It was a pleasant meeting and nice to see a guy get around so easily on my gravel roads with his powered chair and have enough strength to walk as well. . As the day wore on I realized they were leaving the truck and heading to the hotel for the night. I knew I would get a private moment with the truck which was important because I have a 38 in my fleet of unrestored trucks, and was in need of a good role model. I took pictures later and marveled at how clean it was. The next day, they showed up early and we decided to move his truck to front of the shop. I found out he had never driven the truck and may never due to his illness. It was then I started asking questions about his health. Without hesitation, the group of us said "Get in the truck George, we'll push it in place and you steer it!" The picture Dave posted of George smiling through the driver side window, was that very moment. It was a cool thing to see and experience the smile he had on his face.

As I rode my ATV around helping and such, I came upon a "kid" working on his diesel truck in the parking area of the ranch. I offered him my tools and whatever help he needed from my shop to fix it. He smiled and said "that's ok, I have all the tools I need" his smile look a lot like George's...."isn't this George's tow truck?" I said, "yeah, I'm his grandson....I drove it" He went on to say he took his leave from the military so he could help get it to the BBQ. "This BBQ is on his bucket list....he really wanted to get here"......That statement put a chill up my back and about at a loss for words, "really?" I said with a hint of doubt. "Yeah....been really looking forward to it." To me its always about the people, the guys and gals getting together to have a burger and a truck to talk over.....but this was different. Or it seemed different. Or should it be different? ....I really thought hard on it and realized.....no, its not different. I was determined to give George the same experience everyone else was having......a burger and a truck to talk over. He was a dude like the rest of us and fit right in. Because of his health, and the work he did to get to the show....he earned "The Tough Trucker" award, and rightly so. That Sunday after the BBQ, they packed up the truck, said a bunch of goodbyes to the remaining crew and were on they're way. I knew they would be back next year!.....

When I heard George had a stroke, seemingly right after he had just packed up for his second trip to the BBQ, I was worried. When I heard that he was not likely to make it.....I teared up. When Dave had us cheer for him over the phone at the show, I clapped and smiled. When I heard he had passed away on Sunday...I cried. He was a tough trucker, a good ol boy, he was one of us.

I'm proud to have met George.

48D       

Edited by 48dodger
  • Like 11

Sounds like a traveling trophy or an annual trophy for the best pre 39 truck in honor of him. Tim?

Def something to think about.......

48D

Is the winner the guy who is drunkest or the guy with the most holes in his feet? Sounds to me like nobody wins.

I won....there is a winner....and I WON!!!!! lol

48D

I sure was a moving moment when we all were able to cheer for George over the phone, AND to hear it put a smile on his face.

So sad, but thank you for letting us know.

My In-laws and wife remember meeting him at the 2014 BBQ and they too are sad to hear the news.

RIP George.

I'm sure our trucks will outlive us all!

Edited by John-T-53
  • Like 5

Some pics from the weekend...(in order)

Sure liked that '56 Dodge Wagon. Looks like all it needs is a tail light, oil change, and some fresh gas! Oh and a new afghan for the front seat!

The last photo of the truck was taken around 1 pm on Easter Sunday.

post-1481-0-11683300-1428536145_thumb.jpeg

post-1481-0-19755700-1428536155_thumb.jpeg

post-1481-0-95376000-1428536162_thumb.jpeg

post-1481-0-85455000-1428536172_thumb.jpeg

post-1481-0-32273100-1428536179_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2