Need Help - Lost Keys to Locked P15 Trunk

J.P.G.

Hello All,

I'm in dire need of some help, I've lost the only key I had for the original trunk lock on my 1946 P15 coupe, and it's locked. I need it open so I can get to the tool box and spare tire before a tour planned for this weekend.

I've already had a locksmith look at it to try and impression the lock, and he says its too worn to make a key from it.

I'm not sure what to do, does anyone have a similar experience and solution?

Is there a way to open this thing from inside? That is, if I removed the back seat and got at it from inside the car, could I open it? I' willing to try anything short of drilling out the lock.

Thanks very much in advance,  and best wishes.

Others will have to weigh in on this but I believe that a very good locksmith has a device that allows him to turn the tumblers up and open with that device, then he makes a key. Or: call a local gang member!  Wish you well.

It would be quite the challenge but it is technically accessible through the back seat. I don't think you could squeeze through the X brace and get into the trunk itself. Do you have a small mechanically inclined child handy or a lot of 1/4 in drive extensions? I believe there are 3 studs and then the outside piece comes off and you can unlatch it.

Thanks for the helpful responses, I really appreciate them.

So, I've a follow-up question: Once the lock is in the open position, how do I remove the cylinder? I'm assuming there's a way to do this just like with the ignition cylinder?

Thanks again

look for a small hole on the large lock housing...insert a straightened paper clip or other small stiff wire to depress the lock release..remember..the lock must be partially turned to the open position to allow this pin to retract into the space provided by the manufacturer...once removed you will see how easy it is to rekey these things.....about as easy as counting the number of licks to get to the center of ToosieRoll Pop...1,2,3..crunch

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

I managed to pick a door lock on my first attempt. I'd never ever picked a lock in my life. Just read the instructions.

These locks are easy to pick and being worn makes it that much easier.

Look on You Tube under lock picking ..........  there are often tutorials on such things.

I think what Ed was saying is.......if you can take the nuts off the studs that hold the 

handle/lock onto the lid........then you should be able to pull it straight out and the

square shaft should come out of the latch.   Then you should be able to turn that

latch with a screw driver blade of appropriate width.

100_2472.jpg

100_0726-1.jpg

100_5491.jpg

Back side of a trunk latch...........

IM004567.jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

That reminds me of the time I cut a microbus in half with a Skilsaw. LOL

I once locked my Edsel keys in the trunk & had to crawl through behind the seat into the trunk to get the keys back.

It would have been a big PITA to take that lock apart from inside the trunk.

Much easier to pick the lock.

BTW, once you've successfully picked a lock, you'll have a much different view of your own security. I sure did.

Edited by Ulu

• 3 weeks later...