Clunking sound under braking at some speed

skchandler

Hi everyone, back history I have 47 p15 all original. When I stop going 10 mph no sounds going about 20 under braking only I get a clunking sound but doesn't effect stopping power or control of my car. I don't feel it in the steering wheel either. It's loud and stay clunk for a few seconds once I take my foot off the brakes. HELP. Thank you

Check the anchor bolts for the eccentric since these have to be loosened when doing the major adjustment.

I had one of mine come loose and after we tightened the castle nut it stopped.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Hi everyone, back history I have 47 p15 all original. When I stop going 10 mph no sounds going about 20 under braking only I get a clunking sound but doesn't effect stopping power or control of my car. I don't feel it in the steering wheel either. It's loud and stay clunk for a few seconds once I take my foot off the brakes. HELP. Thank you

I don't understand "loud and stay clunk", but one cause of a clunk-upon-braking is a loose axle nut. These should be very VERY tight to ensure the hub can not turn on the tapered axle shaft. If the hub has been removed, say for brake work, the nuts should be rechecked and retightened after a bit of driving.

back when I was being a grunt at Firestone in school, on a particularly busy summer Saturday, I was tasked to find out what the clunking noise was in a 90s Delta 88.  I drove the car in the parking lot, and immediately pulled back into the shop, where I was greeted by the nice lady driver, her mother, and her teenage daughter.  I popped the trunk with a grin, much to the confusion of the 3 generations of ladies, as it was explained to me that they could not figure out what the noise was or what was causing it for days.  I opened the trunk, and like most lady drivers that came through that store located on a corner of the mall parking lot, it was full of stuff.  I fished around the shopping bags, clothes, coats, etc and produced an unsheathed bowling ball and the bag that it should have been secured in.  The three gals all purty much made the same face while hiding their eyes..."y'all come back when ya need a new set of tires, no charge today" I tell them as they wanted to know how much was owed on such an quick diagnosis :cool:

• Like 2

back when I was being a grunt at Firestone in school, on a particularly busy summer Saturday, I was tasked to find out what the clunking noise was in a 90s Delta 88.  I drove the car in the parking lot, and immediately pulled back into the shop, where I was greeted by the nice lady driver, her mother, and her teenage daughter.  I popped the trunk with a grin, much to the confusion of the 3 generations of ladies, as it was explained to me that they could not figure out what the noise was or what was causing it for days.  I opened the trunk, and like most lady drivers that came through that store located on a corner of the mall parking lot, it was full of stuff.  I fished around the shopping bags, clothes, coats, etc and produced an unsheathed bowling ball and the bag that it should have been secured in.  The three gals all purty much made the same face while hiding their eyes..."y'all come back when ya need a new set of tires, no charge today" I tell them as they wanted to know how much was owed on such an quick diagnosis :cool:

Funny! That reminds me of the summer Dad and I spent chasing a noise in my Moms 97 olds 88. When you would turn there'd be this odd rolling sound. Eventually we tracked it down to a AA battery on the package tray that would roll all the way across the car when you turned.

A few mouth's ago in my 2003 van I heard clunking sound like it came from underneath the car, every time I went over a speed bump. After looking all over the car I then remembered I had the back of the cabin removed to transport stuff. It turned out I'd forgotten to fasten one bolt in the roof frame. Came lose and rattled every speedbump. Sound travels inside the interiour.

Did you check the exhaust if it is hanging loose or able to touch the body when wiggling it around?

Edited by DutchEdwin

Driveshaft has nothing on it and no side to side movement. Universal joints all look correct. Talking to a friend he had better wordage for this, it's a rotational clunk that starts when I hit the brakes at some speed. Maybe this helps explain it better

Leaf springs, cracked or broken, shackles, bushings, shock mounts, front or rear,  any suspension parts, front or rear, and the u- joints have to be checked when there is no tension on them