1948 bumpers

3dodgedoobie

Ok question. I have 1948 dodge d24 4 door im restoring for wife. We need bumpers. I found some for a 46-48 plymouth. Are they the same? Also the rear doors? they look the same. And last but not least side chrome that goes down the doors and body? Are they all the same?

I think the answer will be no, but you can find our for sure using the body and sheet metal reference available at: http://www.pwchryslerclub.org/resources.html

It's quite large so right click and download it to your computer instead of opening it in your browser.

There are people on this forum who know the interchangeability right on the spot, thus I recommend to wait until they wake up.

However, my answer, based on how the parts look out and measure is:

- bumpers are not the same, plymouth bumpers are smooth simple design, dodge, desoto & chrysler bumbers have wave like contour, all different from each other - google photos

- back door should be the same

Thanks guys. He priced it all as a bundle. Bumpers doors etc etc. For one price. But if no good on dodge and our doors are fine. Then dont need any more bumpers laying around

Don't know of anyone re-making the bumpers.  Check e-Bay, and Hemmings Motor News........as well as any old salvage yards

you may have in your area.   Also there are some big yards, such as Moore's and French Lake, that have a lot of the 40s

cars.  Shipping is the big thing...........they might go on Greyhound.  Also, many used bumpers will likely need re-chroming.

Here's the center section of the bumper (they have "Fluid Drive" embossed into them).........not in such good shape, but

only $46 "buy it now" in Great Bend, KS.  There oughta be some more complete and better out there.  

If you can't find anything, as a last resort you might check with the vendor "Bumper Boyz" as they sell rechromed bumpers

of all sorts, thru Hemmings, and at larger swap meets.  I said "last resort" as they seem to have gotten some bad ratings

from some folks -- but I don't recall the specifics.     

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

You can get a bumper that looks like the one above - or even quite a bit worse - rechromed for about $300 at a number of places that do good work. They straighten them, fill the pits and they come out looking pretty darned good.  Bumper guards are around $40 each, again, they straighten and fill bad spots.  I haven't had any done with holes rusted all the way through, so I can't comment on cost, but they can fix those as well. That probably wouldn't be worth it unless it's a pretty hard to replace bumper.

Dealing with a place like Bumper Boyz who have such a bad reputation just doesn't make sense.

what  a shame,,,  i had a pair of  bumper  boyz  bumper on  my  barracuda,,,got them back in the mid 1990s  they were  great,,,  i did  a trade for  a pair of cores for a pair of  ready to go,,,,i guess every  one cuts corners sooner or later,,,

Based on the stories regarding Bumper Boyz...........A person might be better off shipping their original chrome to this place

here in Missouri.  They did what I feel is a good job on my front bumper for around $400 ....... I did not have them do any

guards as I have NOS ones.  And......I removed the stainless covers from my oval bumper bolts - had them plate the heads.

The bolts came out more shiny than the new stainless covered bolts I bought on eBay.

If you go to visit this place.........it doesn't look like much.   Chrome shops tend to be pretty grungy inside due to the nature

of the business.   But their work seems good and prices seemed reasonable to me.  

Link to  website of Highline Plating in Cuba, MO.    Generally...........the St Louis area.

http://highlineplating.webs.com/

If you read Highline's website.......they make pickup/delivery runs to certain places.  

I took my front bumper up to them........a 3 hour drive.  Two friends went with me to inspect the place, meet the

operator, and look at some of their handiwork. (One friend has since taken them his front and rear bumpers for

his 1957 Olds.)  They delivered my refinished bumper to Springfield, MO........which is only one hour's drive.......we

met at a Wal Mart parking lot.      

I had also checked with the show chrome place in Nashville, TN........who quoted me a price of about $1200 for that

bumper.  Perhaps their work is superior, but so far I'm happy with the $400 job.  

DSC09241.jpg