Worm and sector for an S2 Desoto airflow?

austinsailor

This is probably a fruitless search, but I could really use a new worm and sector gear for my Airflow. It's not real worn, just worn enough that it's not going to be as good as it should be. The sector is more of a problem than the worm, but I really don't know where to find either one. Mitchell isn't getting back to me, probably because he has none. The place in Arlington Texas just laughed at me.

Where do these restoration houses find things like this?   Are there any other places that have stashes of old MOPAR parts? 

I guess part numbers would help, but I haven't located a parts manual yet.

You need to have part numbers to have a chance finding parts that old.

• Like 1

1936 Desoto S2 steering tube assembly #629310

steering gear shaft and roller #653182

Looks like Collectors has the steering gear and roller in stock, NOS $230

• Like 1

The steering tube varies in length from one vehicle to another BUT there are two sizes for the actual roller

One measures app. 2.25 inches long and the other measures app. 2.75 inches long

They differ in diameter as well.

The point is that they are press fit on (so they can be swapped out) and if all else fails the tube itself can be cut and welded as well.

So replacing the steering tube can be done with some options.

I know someone will object to cutting and welding a steering tube but a good weld should be as strong or stronger then the actual metal stock.

I have a steering tube worm gear that is short and has a fine spline post (app 2" long) that I have no idea what it fits?????

The splines look almost identical to the splines that the steering wheel shares.

Any thoughts????

Called them, they were there, they had it and it's  on the way Monday morning!  Thanks very much.

By the way, it's the bigger gear, left hand thread. Completely different in every way from others I have.

Never thought I'd find it!  You guys are great.

Gene Gruender

• Like 1

Isn't it great?

The sad part is, 30 - 40 years ago many were junked because we couldn't find parts. I know I junked my share in my younger years.

Of course, back in the 60's and 70's you could hardly give away old Mopars. For example, I bought a 49 Dodge coupe for about $30. Drove it for awhile, rather than fix it, I just bought another and that one went off to be parts. Even in the shape it was in it would be a $3000 car today. Sad. Too bad the Internet didn't come along sooner.

My new sector gear showed up today, and, darn the luck, it's completely wrong.

The number I was given was 653182. On the box they've written "653182, C7, C16, 36 Chrysler Airstream 6, 37 Chrysler Royal 6, 36 Desoto airstream, custom del and airflow"'

However, there are basically 2 sizes of gear sets in Mopar steering boxes. Small version with a 2 1/4" long worm, 1 1/2" roller on the sector and 1 1/8" sector shaft, and big version of 2 3/4" long worm, 1 3/4" dia roller and 1 1/4" dia sector shaft. Dodges, Plymouths, 1/2 ton through 1 ton pickups and many smaller cars have the small version, 7 passenger and many big cars have the big version. The one I got today is small, my Airflow has the big version.

It's further complicated by right and left thread and shaft length, but I'm not even in the ball park now. Mine is left hand thread, this little one is right hand.

I have to wonder how to sort this out. Would anyone have an old steering box laying around so I could verify I at least have the correct box? It's hard to imagine someone has jury rigged something else in it, it looks original and unmodified.

Anyone have ideas how to sort this out? I haven't located a parts book yet, so I have to rely on others for numbers right now.

according to my 36-42 Desoto master parts manual

Section 19 steering for model S2 the steering gear shaft and roller tooth assembly is Mopar part number 639266 the part number tht you got was for the 1937 S3 model.

I can look up part numbers for you if you want a specific part just let me know what the items is.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks Rich.  They show they have that part as well, in their listing it shows it as 35 and 36 Desoto Airflow. Pricy, but hopefully, the correct one. I've sent pictures and measurements and they are going to compare before we have another fire drill.

Pretty sad, as my old one is almost good enough. I can get nearly all the play out, still has 1" to 1 1/2". Just enough to be a problem.

But then, I just finished a bunch of work on my Dad's Model A, including tightening his steering. Got it to about 1" of play in the wheel, was sort of irritated I couldn't get it better. Looked up the specs. Factory specs was 1'" to 2" of play at the wheel. Guess on mud roads it didn't matter?

Gene Gruender

Gene, I sent you a link to a place in Springfield, MO that I believe works on the steering boxes.   

I have been thinking about calling them, but have not yet done it.

Their name mentions power steering, but look on the right side of their internet page.

http://www.powersteering.com/