Because nothing is ever easy . . . .

perrymedik

Still working on the ’49 Plymouth Special Deluxe (P-18). . . . . . .

Taking the recommendations to check out the condition of the Water Distributor Tube (WDT) I took off the water pump and reached in with a hooked implement to pull it out just like the Service Manual shows.

No dice.  Not a budge.  Not a little.  Well, the hook unbent.  That was cool.

So a few questions:

1. When looking down the length of the WDT, should it be uniform in width the entire way down?  Mine bows in on the right hand side about 2ish inches in.

2. What tool is out there that would be best suited to forceful pulling?

3. Aside from shooting a liberal amount of PB Blaster down the tub and all along the edges where there are gaps between the outside diameter of the WDT and the inside diameter of the block, what can be done to dislodge this bad boy (without leaving the other half of the WDT inside the block as I refuse to crack the case and open Pandora’s Box even further.)?

4. Why does everything have to be so hard!?!?!?! LOL! (No answer needed for that one!)

Thanks in advance for the assist.  You all have been great!

Cory

The job of the misnamed water distribution tube is actually to direct coolant upwards to the underside of the valve seats. Especially the exhaust valves that only get cooled when they are closed. If the tube is clear to the back, and you can feel that the slots in the top are open you should be good to go knowing the coolant directing tube is doing its primary job.

Shel_ny: THANK YOU for the picture!!  That explains what mine looks like.  I was worried that there was some kind of heat warping going on or something catastrophic!  

Jeff Balazs: When it broke upon you, how did you get out all the pieces without opening up the rest of the Motor?

Shel_ny: THANK YOU for the picture!!  That explains what mine looks like.  I was worried that there was some kind of heat warping going on or something catastrophic!  

Jeff Balazs: When it broke upon you, how did you get out all the pieces without opening up the rest of the MotoP

What Don suggests......and it helps if you are very stubborn. :angry: My WDT disintegrated and had to be drug out kicking and screaming .....in pieces. The tool I found most useful was a 1/4" dia. length of very hard brass rod on which I formed a hook or claw at one end. On the other end I fitted a slid hammer from a body mans buddy. It was slow going but I was eventually got it all out. I don't know how many hours it took.....but it was a lot. Go on the truck form and read the thread titled fishing in a pilothouse to see all the debris I got out of the water jackets.

I sincerely hope you have an easier time of it.

Jeff

It's out!!  I used a Slide Hammer with a T-Handle Spring Hook taped to the Square hook (too keep it from falling out after each strike).  It was in there pretty good!  

Once I got it out I could see that it was well on it's way to corroding, but it came out in one piece thankfully!!  Now on to flushing the system out and waiting for the new WDT to arrive.

I count this as a minor victory!  :P

• Like 2

Buy a lottery ticket........the WDT removal can be a long and labourious job, congratulations.....lol.....andyd

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I have started playing around with it. So now I am committed till the end. It's like going into a blackened tunnel with no end. I will keep you all informed as I go along.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the encouragement. I have started playing around with it. So now I am committed till the end. It's like going into a blackened tunnel with no end. I will keep you all informed as I go along.

;) You left out the part about sharing that tunnel with something really nasty. :lol:

I truly hope you have a easier time of this task than I did.

Jeff

As for how you can tell if the WDT is still working; I ran the engine up to operating temperature then used an infrared temperature gun from Harbor Freight to measure the temp of many spots along the top of the head.  On my engine the temperatures were all fairly consistent.  The rear of the head was about 5 degrees warmer than near the thermostat. I took this to mean that the water was circulating well and that the WTD must be doing its job.  What do you think?  Is this a reasonable conclusion?  I don't want to tackle a WTD if I don't have to. 

I don't know if it that's a good idea or not, but I love the way it sounds!!  Plus, it sounds like another "Tool Buying" opportunity!! LOL!  I look forward to everyones feedback on that.  If its a sound idea, then that would be a great way for me to verify that my repairs were working without having to tear anything down!

As for how you can tell if the WDT is still working; I ran the engine up to operating temperature then used an infrared temperature gun from Harbor Freight to measure the temp of many spots along the top of the head.  On my engine the temperatures were all fairly consistent.  The rear of the head was about 5 degrees warmer than near the thermostat. I took this to mean that the water was circulating well and that the WTD must be doing its job.  What do you think?  Is this a reasonable conclusion?  I don't want to tackle a WTD if I don't have to. 

That does sound like a reasonable method of assessment.

But you know...by avoiding the WDT removal you are missing out on what could be a potentially life changing character building exercise. It has also been said that whatever doesn't kill you... will make you stronger. I am not absolutely certain that this is true but I do feel like a bigger character after what I went through with my WDT. :D

Jeff

• Like 2

Ok, another WDT question.

I got the new one in today and went to install it and only get about half way in before it comes to a screeching halt!!  I took a flashlight and took a look into the back and I don't see any obstructions.  The void does have some hardened sediment on the walls, but not enough that I would think it should halt progress.  

Before I go and start  hammering away to drive this all the way in, is there anything I need to know or do to make this successful?